WWE Crown Jewel

Kaz Hayashi

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hogan might be wrestling if you're a certain age, but there's quite a few of us who started watching after 1992. There's a boom period tucked away in those years afterwards. One that for the vast majority of us only concerned WWE on Sky. The foundational legends in the narrative back then were Monsoon, Blassie and anyone else who showed up in sepia to croak on about Greek legends, Dante's inferno and how they never done a moonsault.

I grew up blaming Hogan as the big, thick fucker who made my parents think 'rassling was some chubby, clubby jingoistic cartoon of stupidity rather than the really edgy thing about anti heroes, cool metal music, and maybe-he'll-jump-off-something-huge it so clearly was.

He went from that to having his moment in the sun around WrestleMania X8 - similar to how everyone convinced themselves Flair was always their favorite anyway around the time of leaving the memories alone - but by the time he came through that looking glass I'd become a smarky teen and he just became that egomaniac prick who played a role in killing that other company.

There's so many people who never gave a shit about Hogan. We were playing Here Comes The Pain when you were on hold trying to order Rebellion for us.

Regardless of age, generation or whatever, Hulk Hogan is the most recognisable wrestling personality out there. People of any age, any background, if you mention the name "Hulk Hogan" they immediately know it's "the guy from the wrestling."

Even those who almost come close, like The Rock and Steve Austin aren't on that level of recognition. I'd even argue that more people know The Rock as Dwayne Johnson the actor than from his wrestling days now.

Hogan had the look, the over the top persona, he was there front & centre during the real golden age of the WWF. I was lucky enough to see both the golden era and the attitude era, and while the attitude times was fun for wrestling fans, it never really bled over into regular, non-wrestling culture as much as the Hogan-led WWF era, and on occasions it even came close it was usually for the wrong reasons.

Hogan didn't need to "jump-off-something-huge," he just had to take a bit of a beating, get that comeback, drop the leg, and cup the ear before flexing. That got him more of a pop than any dude who threw themselves off a Titan Tron or busted themselves open in a hardcore match.

You're right though, many people from the younger generation didn't give a shit about Hogan, but they sure as fuck knew who he was, just like those people who didn't give a shit about wrestling full-stop knew who he was too. I'm not sure the same can really be said of anyone else in the industry.

Hulk Hogan is wrestling, like it or not.

• Paid Members

We all know Hogan's a massive racist and pillock. But so is the current world champion and the one before Roman Reigns. Hauling WWE over the coals for bringing back Hogan only works if you acknowledge how massively problematic that company has always been.

36 minutes ago, David said:

Regardless of age, generation or whatever, Hulk Hogan is the most recognisable wrestling personality out there. People of any age, any background, if you mention the name "Hulk Hogan" they immediately know it's "the guy from the wrestling."

Even those who almost come close, like The Rock and Steve Austin aren't on that level of recognition. I'd even argue that more people know The Rock as Dwayne Johnson the actor than from his wrestling days now.

Hogan had the look, the over the top persona, he was there front & centre during the real golden age of the WWF. I was lucky enough to see both the golden era and the attitude era, and while the attitude times was fun for wrestling fans, it never really bled over into regular, non-wrestling culture as much as the Hogan-led WWF era, and on occasions it even came close it was usually for the wrong reasons.

Hogan didn't need to "jump-off-something-huge," he just had to take a bit of a beating, get that comeback, drop the leg, and cup the ear before flexing. That got him more of a pop than any dude who threw themselves off a Titan Tron or busted themselves open in a hardcore match.

You're right though, many people from the younger generation didn't give a shit about Hogan, but they sure as fuck knew who he was, just like those people who didn't give a shit about wrestling full-stop knew who he was too. I'm not sure the same can really be said of anyone else in the industry.

Hulk Hogan is wrestling, like it or not.

You've just constructed a retort from personal taste and generational bias again, though. Which is fine - because that's what I'm doing, too - but I don't think you can be as objective as you seemingly think you can about it.

Hulk Hogan's not wrestling to me. Most of the friends I have - even the ones who've never been into this stuff - would associate wrestling with Rock, Cena and Austin. To the ones who've never been fans, Hogan's 'the old guy'. And that's not me being dismissive or facetious about it, either, it's just literally how a lot of people my age peg him.

2000 was the real golden era, for me. I find myself having to stop short of explaining like a prat how each new generation has its own shit.

Hulk Hogan is, was and always will be wrestling. There will never be anyone close to what The Hulkster was. He literally made the WWF/WWE a success. And @Gay as FOOK if it wasnt for him you fans born after 1992 wouldnt even have a Smackdown Here comes the Pain game to be playing.

Vince even knows Hulk made his company a global success. Hulk Hogan gave guys like Macho Man and Ultimate Warrior an already established worldwide platform to become stars. Then later in years Stone Cold and The Rock became mega stars because of WWF which Hulkster built those year back.

Daniel Bryan, John Cena, Bullet Club, anyone that has ever come after Hulk Hogan is not anywhere near the level of Hulk Hogan. Hogan putting wrestling on the map. Anyone born pre-mid 80s will get it. Whether you were a fan of his or not, you cant deny the impact he made on this business and no one can ever come close to it.

8 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

You've just constructed a retort from personal taste and generational bias again, though. Which is fine - because that's what I'm doing, too - but I don't think you can be as objective as you seemingly think you can about it.

Hulk Hogan's not wrestling to me. Most of the friends I have - even the ones who've never been into this stuff - would associate wrestling with Rock, Cena and Austin. To the ones who've never been fans, Hogan's 'the old guy'. And that's not me being dismissive or facetious about it, either, it's just literally how a lot of people my age peg him.

2000 was the real golden era, for me. I find myself having to stop short of explaining like a prat how each new generation has its own shit.

I absolutely get your point, and I agree. The thing is, the point I'm making is that Hogan is the most recognisable persona in wrestling. Your friends may not like him, they may not identify with him, but they know who he is.

I have friends who stopped watching wrestling as a teenager and they don't know who Cena or Austin are. They know Rock from his movies primarily.

It's not so much about how you peg him, or how you think of him, it's that you know who he is. People who don't even watch wrestling know who Hulk Hogan is. Even drunken fools in pubs know who he is. I remember one time a guy in the pub went mental and started smashing shit up, the police arrived and he tried to fight them. The barman after the fact was like "the fucking prick went mental, starting swinging at cops and throwing tables, thinking he's Hulk fucking Hogan!"

There's not an overweight, balding barman on the planet who's going to utter words like that and use Roman Reigns, John Cena, Rock etc in place of Hogan.

I get the 'most recognizable' thing. I do. I still think a bit of generational circumstance widens that playing field to a few big names, though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to convince you that Shawn Michaels could be wrestling because he's my favorite, because that's obviously bollocks. He's never been wrestling. Sorry, heartbreak. Even taking Cena, though, it'd be foolhardy to not realize just how many dads have had to endure his primary colors and theme music. Or how many girls way outside your age bracket want to fuck him. The guy's a living, breathing meme. And his name will only continue to embellish in the minds of so many people under a certain age right now, as Hogan gradually fades into his rightful place in history. A place you've summed up pretty good!

As for the old man yells at cloud variation of the argument posted elsewhere above, I'm well aware of what Hogan's done for wrestling. Sure he practically stitched the lining on my Raw is War bedsheets I used to sleep in.

I think what some of those other names have going against them is the era they wrestled in. Hogan was the face of wrestling during it's actual proper golden era. It was a time where there was less shit on TV, no internet, all that jazz.

Hogan also had the advantage of operating in an era where wrestlers were allowed (and even encouraged) to look larger than life. WWE was in Glasgow a few years back, and some of the guys on the card were out walking around the city centre doing a bit of shopping and sightseeing. Only fans of wrestling could pick them out in the crowd really.

Could you imagine that happening back in the day? Imagine the likes of Hogan, Savage, Warrior or even someone like Dino Bravo cutting about the local city centre? They'd stand out a mile. Even people who don't watch wrestling would see them and know they weren't just local dudes who stayed in shape.

Much of the success of Hulk was right place, right time, but because of all of those circumstances coming together, along with his work ethic and drive to stay on top, he's easily the most recognisable face and name in wrestling history.

I love that story about Marc Mero on the midcard doing all his flippy shit, then Hogan comes back after the main event where he didn't break a sweat and still tore the house down. Mero has ice packs around his knees and ankles, Hulkster looks at him and says " You need to learn how to work, brother". 

Hulkamania is still running wild.

Archived