Shit nicknames

tiger_rick

• Awards Moderator

I mentioned this a few months ago, but have just come across it again now. The shittest (actually best) nickname in history is one of the Tsars of Russia, one of the Alexanders, who was known as 'the abomination of desolation'.

To have a wrestler come out announced with 'The Abomination of Desolation...' before their name would be utterly cringey, and yet wonderful at the same time. Not enough of today's shit nicknames rhyme, unless they're Lio Rush.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
7 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

To have a wrestler come out announced with 'The Abomination of Desolation...' before their name would be utterly cringey, and yet wonderful at the same time. 

Has this really not happened??

Either (1) a member of the Dungeon of Doom, (2) someone awful TNA bought in to feud with Abyss, or (3) Abyss?

Not that "Abyss" isn't a shit name for a scary wrestler anyway. You're.... a hole? A massive hole.

And mere mention of TNA made me remember Charismatic Enigma and now I'm going to avoid wrestling all night to try and forget.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Not that "Abyss" isn't a shit name for a scary wrestler anyway. You're.... a hole? A massive hole.

I think "Abyss" is fine. It has more nuance than just "a hole" - there's the implication of something scary, like the term "the void". It has a connotation of hell, damnation, or, at the very least, the terrifying unknown. It also implies that, unlike the simple emptiness of a gap or hole, it's a sinister, ominous emptiness with sentience - "stare in to the abyss long enough, and it will stare right back".

10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Watching this week’s NXT and was reminded that Mauro keeps trying to get ‘The Cheat Code Of NXT’ over as a nickname for Ricochet. It is not good.

That's Mauro for you.

Remembered that on Hannibal's YouTube channel there was a match featuring a guy that the commentator kept on and kept on trying to get over as "the belligerent beast".

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Upon The Giant's arrival from WCW, it took a while for them to muddle their way to The Big Show.

He initially went by "Big Nasty" Paul Wight, which really took something away from his initial momentum

"King, it's Paul Wight!" was bad enough at Massacre. Nobody has even been scared of a Paul, fact.

Fin Martin told me in PS they were going to call him Titan. Because it's a name that's like Giant but... you know.... Titan Towers. Glad they didn't, that kind of shit tributey rename is more like the kind of thing WCW would have done.

Although I've always thought "The Big Show" (or Bigshow if you're PSF) is shite anyway.

• Paid Members
On 10/12/2018 at 9:00 PM, air_raid said:

"King, it's Paul Wight!" was bad enough at Massacre. Nobody has even been scared of a Paul, fact.

Fin Martin told me in PS they were going to call him Titan. Because it's a name that's like Giant but... you know.... Titan Towers. Glad they didn't, that kind of shit tributey rename is more like the kind of thing WCW would have done.

Although I've always thought "The Big Show" (or Bigshow if you're PSF) is shite anyway.

I actually quite like "Titan", but feels a bit too '80s gimmicky for the era.

Wasn't "The Big Show" a rubbish snipe at TBS? Russo-riffic.

Archived