Shit nicknames

tiger_rick

1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Yeah I think it might have been. It went something along the lines of:

"You're a turd"

"Yeah, you're a turn bro"

*FADE TO END*

Doesn't help with Bryan's weird reaction to it, kinda smiling in a bemused way. It's a combination of trying to react to it and trying to no-sell it at the same time.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've mentioned before how I don't like Hannibal/Devon Nicholson at all, but billing himself as "the Death Dealer" whiffs of a guy that owns his own promotion. This was a guy that came to fame by self-producing a documentary about how he got hepatitis off Abdullah the Butcher and crying about it. Fuck off, come back in, and then fuck off again.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, returner82 said:

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I pretty much liked every one in this thread and had something to say about a few. Modern wrestling, be it WWE or independent groups, generally have some shockers because most of the good ones have already been used.

I think it's also because they try and force one on everyone. When you look back now at ho early Gorilla Monsoon started talking about Bret Hart and his "Excellence of execution", it felt much more natural than it does now. It was a nickname that evolved from something Gorilla would say about him and it felt special because not everyone had a nick name and hardly anyone got one from Gorilla.

Gorilla had a lovely way about him though, for all his faults. Like when he'd call Mr Perfect "the Perfect one", it was just him describing the guy. Now when everyone has to be "the something one" and it's spewed out all the time and stuck on a t-shirt, it's just forced.

3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I think it's also because they try and force one on everyone. When you look back now at ho early Gorilla Monsoon started talking about Bret Hart and his "Excellence of execution", it felt much more natural than it does now. It was a nickname that evolved from something Gorilla would say about him and it felt special because not everyone had a nick name and hardly anyone got one from Gorilla.

Gorilla had a lovely way about him though, for all his faults. Like when he'd call Mr Perfect "the Perfect one", it was just him describing the guy. Now when everyone has to be "the something one" and it's spewed out all the time and stuck on a t-shirt, it's just forced.

Didn't he call Rick Rude "the Ravishing One" in a similar way that worked? Certainly just calling him "Ravishing" was one of his quirks.

(Apologies in advance to Keith Houchen for posting, I'll bear it in mind.)

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's very true tbh. Even when he came out with nonsensical stuff like "Bruti" for Brutus Beefcake, no one seemed to mind. 

Now its almost a competition involving how many time you can shoehorn in "The VIPER!" during a Randy Orton match.

• Paid Members

During the match at Wrestlemania between Undertaker and Flair, JR kept calling ‘Taker Booger Red. Lawler asked him what exactly a booger red was and there was silence followed by JR saying something along the lines of “I’ll tell you later”

Also, I always found Nathan Jones - The Colossus of Boggo Road nickname hilarious. And Bobby Lashley in TNA was called Walking Armageddon which is shite. 

6 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

That's very true tbh. Even when he came out with nonsensical stuff like "Bruti" for Brutus Beefcake, no one seemed to mind. 

Now its almost a competition involving how many time you can shoehorn in "The VIPER!" during a Randy Orton match.

Gorilla could even get away with multiple nicknames and insults in one sentence: "The Glamour Girls, led to the ring by their manager the Colonel, the Mouth of the South, Jimmy Hart, that mountain of misinformation".

Balor's "the extraordinary man who can do extra ordinary things" is bafflingly bad, but kind of fitting that they say extra ordinary the second time as I've never found him to be anything more than solid.

Just learned what "booger red" actually means, I thought it was cos he'll give you a nosebleed and make your....

Archived