Super Show-Down (Showdown? Show Down?)

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I'm amazed that the Cena/Lashley vs Owens/Elias tag isn't getting more scorn. Genuine candidate for worst match of the year. I'm legitimately amazed that people have been dismissing it as harmless house show fun, saying how good it was to see Cena back playing his greatest hits. It was fucking awful. Lashley looked clumsy as fuck. They botched a standard leapfrog spot early in the match. A fucking leapfrog! A bare basics fucking leapfrog. Mistakes happen and there's every chance they were jetlagged, but pretty much everyone else on the show managed to put in a good performance despite that, so these guys shouldn't be excused. The majority of the rest was super clunky as well. Shockingly poor to the point where I'm actually offended.Ā 

I've praised Cena in the past and I stand by everything I said in the Cena thread from a few weeks back - the guy is one of the greatest. But the lightning punch or whatever they're going to dub it is one of the worst things I've ever seen. I can live with the dodgy barnet and I can live with him rolling out his greatest hits and not taking any meaningful bumps, but that punch just takes the piss on a totally ridiculous level.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, the punch was fine.

It was silly, but acts like Elias have been losing to moves like that for years.

It was just Santinoā€™s cobra. Only maybe slightly more legit. And at least he had the decency to do the AA first.

I donā€™t see a problem with it. It was a bit goofy, but heā€™s on his retirement tour anyway. The actual act of finishing a match with an AA and a punch is fine though. Heā€™s won plenty with just the former, so I have no problem buying the idea that a dazed, depleted Elias used instinct to get to his feet but was felled by a punch.

23 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

That punch just takes the piss on a totally ridiculous level.

Did Cole refer to it as "the sixth move of doom"? Absolutely awful. And that promo at the end was dreadful. When he's on Cena is fantastic but I can't stand it when he does those phoney humble promos.Ā 

As for the event, it was enjoyable enough. AJ and Joe had the best match of their feud whilst Murphy/Alexander stole the show. Also, as someone who only watches bit and clips every week, what the hell has happened to Asuka? Any aura she had has been killed off. Even Corey Graves said "I liked it when she kicked people. All this dancing doesn't bode well for her career."Ā 

1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

Did Cole refer to it as "the sixth move of doom"? Absolutely awful. And that promo at the end was dreadful. When he's on Cena is fantastic but I can't stand it when he does those phoney humble promos.Ā 

As for the event, it was enjoyable enough. AJ and Joe had the best match of their feud whilst Murphy/Alexander stole the show. Also, as someone who only watches bit and clips every week, what the hell has happened to Asuka? Any aura she had has been killed off. Even Corey Graves said "I liked it when she kicked people. All this dancing doesn't bode well for her career."Ā 

Any aura she had died with that ludicrous promo to put over Queen Charlotte at Mania. She lost the feud to Carmella and has been in the background since.Now Lynch is getting the push and it's rareĀ to have more than one significant women's program/feud per show.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I'm amazed that the Cena/Lashley vs Owens/Elias tag isn't getting more scorn. Genuine candidate for worst match of the year. I'm legitimately amazed that people have been dismissing it as harmless house show fun, saying how good it was to see Cena back playing his greatest hits. It was fucking awful. Lashley looked clumsy as fuck. They botched a standard leapfrog spot early in the match. A fucking leapfrog! A bare basics fucking leapfrog. Mistakes happen and there's every chance they were jetlagged, but pretty much everyone else on the show managed to put in a good performance despite that, so these guys shouldn't be excused. The majority of the rest was super clunky as well. Shockingly poor to the point where I'm actually offended.Ā 

I've praised Cena in the past and I stand by everything I said in the Cena thread from a few weeks back - the guy is one of the greatest. But the lightning punch or whatever they're going to dub it is one of the worst things I've ever seen. I can live with the dodgy barnet and I can live with him rolling out his greatest hits and not taking any meaningful bumps, but that punch just takes the piss on a totally ridiculous level.

The scorn seems to have been directed at the main event (which I never watched to be fair). It was a shambles but I think a lot of that was down to Lashley and Elias being an awkward pairing. The Cena finish wan't THAT bad was it? Goofy as hell yeah but I didn't find it out right offensive. The AA basically makes sense as a transitional move now everyone and their gran has kicked out of it.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Ā 

The scorn seems to have been directed at the main event

Super...Ā Slow-Down, am I right fellas? Huh?

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Supremo said:

The most note worthy thing on this show was Buddy Murphy wrestling a New Japan match. Fucking hell, that lad can go! If these are the type of matches the 205 Live guys are having then I'm even more convinced that they need to bring them back to Raw and have one or two cruiserweight matches per show. Imagine how much it would improve Raw if, around about the two hour fifteen minute mark, they sent these guys out to have a lightning fast showcase, rather than going with the Jinder or Mojo shit we usually see. I'd love it.

It's at times like this WWE can't win. The last time they did this people loved the idea for two weeks, then decided they were bored of the cruiserweights. A match like Cedric vs Murphy would be great to break up the monotony of Raw one week, but as soon as WWE start trotting out Gallagher vs Kalisto during hour 3 of Raw the live crowd will completely die like they did last year.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Supremo said:

Imagine how much it would improve Raw if, around about the two hour fifteen minute mark, they sent these guys out to have a lightning fast showcase, rather than going with the Jinder or Mojo shit we usually see.

Ā 

18 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

A match like Cedric vs Murphy would be great to break up the monotony of Raw one week, but as soon as WWE start trotting out Gallagher vs Kalisto during hour 3 of Raw the live crowd will completely die like they did last year.

The difference is caring. The live crowd had a reason to care about Murphy, when Cruiserweights were on Raw the reaction, understandably, was "who the fucks this then?" The best shot they would have had to get proper traction for the division would have been building initially around Neville and Aries as two characters that the fans already knew then using them to familiarize non-CWC watchers with some others. But they fucked that up too.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It was just Santinoā€™s cobra. Only maybe slightly more legit. And at least he had the decency to do the AA first.

At least the cobra was part of a comedy act, not that it's really any excuse because it's no better or worse than the cobra - that was shit and so was this.Ā 

2 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

The scorn seems to have been directed at the main event (which I never watched to be fair). It was a shambles but I think a lot of that was down to Lashley and Elias being an awkward pairing. The Cena finish wan't THAT bad was it? Goofy as hell yeah but I didn't find it out right offensive. The AA basically makes sense as a transitional move now everyone and their gran has kicked out of it.

Lashley and Elias have been feuding for weeks now. Irrespective of that though...I've never trained to wrestle in my lifetime but surely a leapfrog is one of the fundamental basics as part of a sequence, and they couldn't even do that. It's absolutely pathetic really.

No issue with the AA being used as a transitional move but fucking hell, a transition move for THAT?Ā It makes absolutely no sense (not that wrestling always does) in that regard. Shouldn't it be the other way round if anything?Ā 

Also why are we comparing it soĀ much to other moves? Those were shit too! (The People's Elbow notwithstanding. Having a 275 pound Somoan beast drop his massive elbow on you could legit cause you a heart attack. Not to mention it's set up by a Spinebuster usually. Ouch! Also it's The Rock so he's exempt).

• Paid Members

Got to watch this show today. It was harmless enough. From the stuff that I watched there was nothing great on the show, but most of it was fine and the majority had satisfying finishes.Ā 

SD Tag Titles match was ok, but probably not as good as a lot of the recent tag matches this lot have had on TV.

Lashley/Cena Vs Owens and Elias wasn't good, and actively bored me. None of it worked for me, pre-match, the match itself, nor Cena's promo.Ā 

The match with The Shield was ok, which left it feeling a disappointment. I was expecting it to be the best match on the show and it wasn't. It was fine, but not a patch on Shield six man tags from their peak.Ā 

Daniel Bryan Vs The Miz was interesting. I really didn't expect and early finish out of nowhere such as that, but it's good to do that sometimes and keep fans honest that a match reallyĀ couldĀ finish at any moment. It means Miz Vs Bryan is continuing, I'd imagine.Ā 

Joe Vs AJ was very good. I'd say the bulk of their match wasn't quite the level of their previous two bouts, but it had a better finish, so probably pretty much on par with them. I don't think it's completely over for Joe in the title picture just yet though, maybe just temporarily.

I enjoyed the main event, even if it was like watching a group of pensioners brawl over the remote control in the sitting room of their nursing home. HHH will be hurting after that one, he bumped all over the shop.Ā 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

When did Shawn Michaels go full Yul Brynner? I know there was that picture of him going to barbers around HOF time, but hadnā€™t realised heā€™d gone cueball since then

Only recently I think - Iā€™m pretty sure he still had his recently shortened barnet a few weeks ago when he was in the ring with Undertaker.Ā 

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

When did Shawn Michaels go full Yul Brynner? I know there was that picture of him going to barbers around HOF time, but hadnā€™t realised heā€™d gone cueball since then

It was just a matter of time. The short cut he had looked terrible, a bit like when HHH had his done. Go Skinhead or just keep the ponytail seems the only two options.

I thought it was a good show. Don't really know what was going on with Bryan/Miz, but Styles/Joe, the Cruiserweight title match and The Shield tag were really good.

Ā Undertaker and Triple H had a entertaining ''greatest hits'' smoke and mirrors brawl. Not sure I particularly agree with them taking up the last hour of an eventĀ in 2018 but it's obviously just the beginning of a story between those two, HBK and Kane.Ā 

Was certainly fun being able to watch a show live at a decent time for a change!

Archived