Sign in to follow this  
UK Kat Von D

VeganMania

Apologies, if this is probably quite a Southern-based thing (not seen them elsewhere, but could be wrong) but had a vegan bacon and avocado bagel on the way into work from Abokado, bloody lovely and would highly recommend. 

I'm not a big fan of the Ginsters Quorn pasty, but the Moroccan veg has become a staple. They sell it in the garage/Morrisons by my place, and it's become one of my go-to lazy foods for when I get in from the pub, or if I want something to tide me over after work until I can be bothered cooking tea.

Unfortunately it uses palm oil, which in an ideal world I'd be trying to avoid, but I can only manage to navigate so many ethical minefields at a time.

The only thing that lets the Ginsters Moroccan down is the pastry is way too brittle and falls apart easily.

That Quorn Steak Bake can get in the bin. Horrendous.

Just heard about a vegan Chinese chippy in Liverpool that as well as reportedly being excellent, should be visited solely because of the name - WOO TAN SCRAN

On 3/5/2020 at 3:04 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Morrisons vegan rolls are where it's at.

Tried half of one of these today and can confirm that it was delicious. Pastry undetectably different and filling tasty and a much better consistency than Greggs. Would definitely have again if it wasn't for those pesky calories.

Just had a Fry's Med Veg and Squash Slice from Tesco, and flaky pastry aside (a vegan staple), it was really nice. Well worth checking out for lunch.

Awful video that boils down to “what do scientists know?  My innate feeling is right and they are wrong”.

To give you a flavour, at one point his counter to a scientist’s conclusion is that the scientist has a “Stick up his butt”. 

36 minutes ago, Loki said:

Awful video that boils down to “what do scientists know?  My innate feeling is right and they are wrong”.

What an awful take on the video. He isn’t arguing against scientists for a start, he is arguing against USA today who’s stance is “well it can’t be 100% proven so it isn’t true.” The Popular Science article was written by a journalist called Kat Eschner who also does movie reviews. Kat is not a scientist and concluded that stuff like Coronavirus would continue without mass factory farming because a lot of people have cats or dogs. Not really a valid point at all. 

Actually it is most likely true, as explained in the video. It is zoonotic disease, that would be less likely to happen without intense factory farming. Use a bit of common sense perhaps.

@Merzbow maybe you should have clicked on it because it wasn’t “very white” at all and just actually deals with facts and statistics. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

Not just factory farming - trade in live wildlife too. Saw a report on Al Jaz yesterday about the billions of dollars that industry is worth. They filmed a place in Bangkok which stocks almost every animal they can get their hands - they even had capybaras in cages, for fuck's sake. 

China and parts of south-east Asia are a huge part of the problem, unfortunately - even with laws in place, it becomes impossible to deal with such an industry, as it inevitably goes underground and the money circulating goes up exponentially, and the demand for various exotic animal parts and exotic pets in China and SE Asia is the main culprit. Until they actually end the trade, and take the money out of the equation, they'll never be able to shut down the industry or related ones, like poaching of rhinos and elephants.

In less depressing news, based on the advice I got from this forum, I had some aquafaba left over from a couple of jars of chickpeas, and tried my hand at vegan pancakes. Unfortunately, it was only after I'd scarfed down the last one with peanut butter that I realised I hadn't taken any pics. They turned out way better than I expected them to; bloody nice. No difference in taste from regular pancakes, except maybe slightly less "richness" (for want of a better word), but pancakes are usually about the texture; flavour's in the filling. Definitely will be making them again.