VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Watched The Game Changers after a long time of perhaps fear and ignorance permitting, and my word, has it opened my eyes.

I've no idea how I'm going to make the switch, as the idea and potential cost of switching to a Vegan diet and maintaining physique etc is fucking horrifically daunting, but I'll give it a go. Feel I owe it to myself to at least try, such was the impact that doc had on me...

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Watched The Game Changers after a long time of perhaps fear and ignorance permitting, and my word, has it opened my eyes.

I've no idea how I'm going to make the switch, as the idea and potential cost of switching to a Vegan diet and maintaining physique etc is fucking horrifically daunting, but I'll give it a go. Feel I owe it to myself to at least try, such was the impact that doc had on me...

While I’ve not gone Vegan, I get a lot of vegan things and I’d say my food bills have come down due to meat

Can’t wait to hear all about @Scott Malbranque’s first all tofu poo. “Lads, it’s coming out like Niagara Falls. My stones have gone”

I’ve found it not too costly at all to be honest, apart from little things like the cheese, yoghurts and oat milk. But even then it’s not that much. 

Its all about pulses, beans and things like that. And scrambled tofu of course. Best of luck bro 

• Paid Members

Honestly Rashers, I'm such a horrible vain cunt at times - genuinely, when I went to psychotherapy and counseling, I was told I have severe body dysmorphia - it's the thought of putting on a slim fit shirt and it not being so snug anymore, that's fucking gut wrenching. 

Also I've no idea how I'm going to be able to afford the protein to protein ratio if I switch from meat to Vegan, and there's a lot to be said for salmon/fish oils and it's joint lubrication benefits, so I've a lot of mental barriers to iron out when I delve into this.

But sure, it'll be interesting at home if nothing else, because the missus is going to have a fucking canary when she I tell her the reason for the switch is "Netflix told me to".

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

But sure, it'll be interesting at home if nothing else, because the missus is going to have a fucking canary when she I tell her the reason for the switch is "Netflix told me to".

Just tell her it was Arnie who told you. I mean, what is she gonna be able to do then?

I made sure I had a vegan protein supplement on the go (myprotein's vegan blend in coffee n walnut flavour is really good, and works great in baking) but even matching the grammage from eating meat, I still lost a ton of weight. Strength did stay up though, so there's evidence the weight was unnecessary. Maybe switch your focus to being ripped? 

Great to hear @Scott Malbranque I thought you would like that. Obviously there will be different challenges to anyone wanting to maintain a physique when totally changing their diet. There are loads of Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness groups on Facebook. If you join one of those you’ll see loads of different advice from people who have tried and tested it. Don’t be scared to ask for advice on groups like that because the people in them are always happy to help (although like any Facebook group you might find a few nutters.)

I had my first misstep today, was at the mother in laws with the little one. She made me a coffee and due to being in conversation with her and keeping an eye on my little girl I just drank the coffee. Was not until the cup was near empty that I noticed it was not black. Bugger hell. 

• Paid Members

I fucked up the other day at work. Bought a pack of vegetarian chicken pop corn that looked liked the vegan ones if had the other day. Ate it then checked the label. The reality is I'm trying my best but I'am and always will be fundamentally inept. It's a massive change but I think it's going remarkably easily.

Had a 2 KFV vegan burgers after the gig earlier. One was freshly made and the other had been on the shelf for a while. I wholeheartedly recommend making sure you get a fresh one. It was night and day.

Also I was perplexed by the fact that the guy wasn't sure if the fries were vegan when I tried to order the vegan burger as a meal. Seems mental but the fact he didn't know just prompted me to buy a second burger instead.

Edited by DEF

On 1/22/2020 at 3:02 PM, Scott Malbranque said:

Honestly Rashers, I'm such a horrible vain cunt at times - genuinely, when I went to psychotherapy and counseling, I was told I have severe body dysmorphia - it's the thought of putting on a slim fit shirt and it not being so snug anymore, that's fucking gut wrenching. 

Also I've no idea how I'm going to be able to afford the protein to protein ratio if I switch from meat to Vegan, and there's a lot to be said for salmon/fish oils and it's joint lubrication benefits, so I've a lot of mental barriers to iron out when I delve into this.

It's a great documentary.  Don't take it as gospel though, a lot of the "science" is dubious to say the least and I found myself snorting at the trial about penis sizes involving a pool of 3 people.

If you want to transition less abruptly, you could consider going vegetarian, or even vegetarian for most of the week.  This is what I've done - we're vegetarian for 5 days a week now.  It's an easier initial step and will get you into the swing of planning shopping and cooking around vegetables.  If you make that transition and still want to go Vegan, it will be a lot easier from there!

11 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Everytime you have some dairy, a vegan dies.

Can we choose which one?

Edited by Loki

2 hours ago, Loki said:

It's a great documentary.  Don't take it as gospel though, a lot of the "science" is dubious to say the least and I found myself snorting at the trial about penis sizes involving a pool of 3 people.

A lot of the science? I haven’t seen any of it debunked by anyone reputable? Men’s Health magazine did a pretty shit one

The penis size experiment was presented as a one off experiment, and the dick doctor clearly stated that it wasn’t a proper trial and that lots more research would have to be done. It’s been pretty common knowledge in the Vegan community for years, pretty sure I’ve even mentioned it ages ago in this thread