VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

In reality Kat, it only took 3 pages :)

Was actually the fifth post when someone first asked an ethics based question. I was happy to keep that out of it and do what David suggested a few pages back.

I still think that slaughterhouse workers can find a new job. Funny that me saying fuck them has gotten more attention than someone saying they want to strangle a cow just to spite me. 

6 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Everything in your post is either misinformed or just flat out wrong. I only talk about Veganism in the Vegan thread, I know lots of Vegans and I can’t think of anyone who uses it as their whole identity.  I know that I have a lot more about me than just this. If someone has the name of their football club in their twitter bio does that become their whole identity?

I’ve also never claimed to be an all knowing moral high ground, it’s just basic common sense to say if you care about something you don’t pay to have it killed. 

Not many people jump straight into being a full blown activist after going Vegan, I did it quietly at first too. Once you have distanced yourself from all animal abuse that nagging guilt a lot of people have becomes intensified, because they see the issues a lot more clearly. 

People seem to have this mad concept that Vegans do it because they want to bring people down. That idea can fuck right off. People try to get othera to go Vegan for two reasons. Saving animals is the first one. It’s not enough for me to not harm animals when I know I could save more by stopping other people from harming them. 

The second reason is I have a strong desire to share this amazing feeling I have with other people. Incase you haven’t noticed, Vegans love being Vegan. I want other people to feel the benefits and happiness they will get. It’s like introducing someone to their new favourite band times a thousand. Whenever I get a message saying I’ve helped someone go Vegan it is the best feeling.

I haven’t subjected anyone to anything they didn’t sign up to when they clicked on a Vegan thread. You are here of your own free will. I also don’t do anything particularly unusual either. How many people here have had debates about Brexit or defended their political party of choice?

It’s human nature to try and get people to do the right thing. If you care about animals, you’ll go Vegan. If you care about climate change, you’ll go Vegan. 

If humans were killed at the same rate as animals we would be extinct within 17 days. It doesn’t need to be that way.

I said certain people. What made you think I was talking about you? I don't know you. I only know you from what you post on here.

Just now, UK Kat Von D said:

Did you only read the first sentence and a half? 

Actually, yeah. Sorry.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about people I've encountered over my travels during the years. The type who identify as a vegan almost above all else. I rank those types up there with those who've given up smoking, and born-again religious types. 

Despite being on 40 a day until recently, or being absolute cunts before they "found" God they immediately assume the high ground when they encounter anyone who hasn't happened down their particular path of redemption. This all despite the fact that before they saw the errors of their way they were probably among the worst offenders imaginable.

20 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Was actually the fifth post when someone first asked an ethics based question. I was happy to keep that out of it and do what David suggested a few pages back.

I still think that slaughterhouse workers can find a new job. Funny that me saying fuck them has gotten more attention than someone saying they want to strangle a cow just to spite me. 

Mate, it was just a lighthearted post... I was only kidding 

17 minutes ago, David said:

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about people I've encountered over my travels during the years. The type who identify as a vegan almost above all else. I rank those types up there with those who've given up smoking, and born-again religious types. 

I know the type of people you mean, plenty of people who only use social media to post about animal rights. But what’s on social media isn’t someone’s whole identity. If I hang out with them there is a lot more to their personality than just being Vegan. There is a couple of people who use it as a personality, but that’s a minority and that type of person exists for literally everything. 

I‘ll go for drinks with several Vegans and it might only get talked about for ten minutes the whole night. We’ll probably spend more time talking about how Tories are dickheads.

When I’d drink with meat eaters it’s always a matter of time before they bring it up. I don’t really hang out with people like that anymore though. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

On 1/5/2020 at 7:26 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

I assume these are the ones Keith is talking about. The chili and lime ones in particular are fantastic.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-real-chilli-lemon-lentil-chips-60032949

And if you're into the texture of wheat crunchies instead of real crisps they are not too dissimilar.

These are on offer at my local Moz 50p a bag, so stocked up on those fuckers!

47 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I‘ll go for drinks with several Vegans and it might only get talked about for ten minutes the whole night. We’ll probably spend more time talking about how Tories are dickheads.

When I’d drink with meat eaters it’s always a matter of time before they bring it up. I don’t really hang out with people like that anymore though. 

See, this is the kind of thing that really amuses me. At no point in my life have I ever classified the people I spend time with socially as "meat eaters" or "non-meat eaters." 

There are people in my various social circles who are vegans or vegetarians, but it's never really discussed unless we're going for food before heading to the pub or the cinema or whatever, and at that point we just make sure we're going somewhere that accommodates everyone who's there at the time. We also have one guy who hangs around with us who has a wheat allergy (my other half suffers from that as well) so we accommodate that too.

In fact, there's few places I eat out at where I'll order a meat dish simply because I'm always a bit off about where it comes from and how it's cooked. As mentioned, I'll eat at a vegan restaurant whenever I can, despite not actually being vegan.

This what I mean when I say for some people it defines them. They stop hanging around with friends who aren't vegan and so on. It becomes a "thing," for want of another word. For certain people (and I stress, I'm not talking about you here) being vegan is more about the social aspect, and becoming part of a "scene" than it is about anything else, including animal welfare. 

In fact, I'd be willing to wager that someone like @Loki knows more, and has done more for animal welfare than many scenester vegans.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

The most realistic plant-based steak has been revealed. Unfortunately it looks like it could be cleaned up to reveal a medieval artifact.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jan/10/most-realistic-plant-based-steak-revealed

Looks like a minute steak. Or Sandwich Steak

3 hours ago, David said:

See, this is the kind of thing that really amuses me. At no point in my life have I ever classified the people I spend time with socially as "meat eaters" or "non-meat eaters." 

I only did because it was relevant to the conversation, I wouldn’t even think about it unless there was a reason to.

1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I only did because it was relevant to the conversation, I wouldn’t even think about it unless there was a reason to.

Avid viewers know you'd never refer to someone as a meat eater.  It would be carnist scum!

• Paid Members

Had a Rebel Whopper earlier. It's not just that it's cooked along with the meat that it negates being vegan. It also has mayo in it. As it goes it was pretty close to a regular whopper. Slightly less of a meaty flavour.

Watched Click last night as I couldn’t sleep and they mentioned this Impossible Pork from CES (They also mentioned something called a Heat Box which I reckon will be massive but I digress)

It said that they hope it will have a huge impact on the pork mad Asian market, and the images they showed looked interesting. https://www.geekwire.com/2020/tried-impossible-foods-new-pork-latest-fake-meat-bill-gates-backed-company/

Then reading this article I saw this 

The company did not reveal exactly when Impossible Pork will hit grocery stores, but Impossible Sausage will be introduced at select Burger King locations this month in an “Impossible CROISSAN’WICH.”

which whilst not being vegan, sounds and looks fucking incredible, whilst we’re getting fobbed off with crap looking fake whoppers https://thespoon.tech/burger-king-to-launch-new-impossible-sausage-croissanwich-to-compete-with-dunkin/