Jump to content

VeganMania


UK Kat Von D
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But it’s relative. One bacon sandwich a year compared to a years worth of heavy use? It doesn’t matter, the fact is they BOTH impact animal abuse. It’s one size fits all, it’s a principle or it’s a hobby. 

I’ve done the math before an I think a bacon sandwich is still worse than a years heavy use. The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I’ve done the math before an I think a bacon sandwich is still worse than a years heavy use. The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

First of all it's maths, not math, you're not a septic. Secondly an entire hog roast would most likely be less environmentally damaging than a kilo of sniff when you take into account processing and transporting it. As for flying you can use carbon offsetting certificates to give money to plant trees that would making your flight carbon neutral or even carbon negative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I’ve done the math before an I think a bacon sandwich is still worse than a years heavy use. The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

My point is it doesn’t matter which is worse and by what degree, if it’s against a principle it’s against a principle. Yeah I remember when you told me the amount of birds that die due to planes, I was astounded. Offsetting is a great idea, I think you show the huge difference between “Yeah it’s bad but I can’t make a difference so I won’t bother” and “Yeah it’s bad so I will do what I can to lessen my impact”. You’re taking personal responsibility and I think that’s becoming the norm, thankfully!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

First of all it's maths, not math, you're not a septic. Secondly an entire hog roast would most likely be less environmentally damaging than a kilo of sniff when you take into account processing and transporting it. As for flying you can use carbon offsetting certificates to give money to plant trees that would making your flight carbon neutral or even carbon negative.

When you factor in the amount of landmass, number of animals killed, pollution and water use a kilo doesn’t come close to a whole pig. 
I’ll check out the carbon neutral thing, but for what I earn over in places like New York or Los Angeles I don’t mind giving a bit back to ease my conscience.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

When you factor in the amount of landmass, number of animals killed, pollution and water use a kilo doesn’t come close to a whole pig. 
I’ll check out the carbon neutral thing, but for what I earn over in places like New York or Los Angeles I don’t mind giving a bit back to ease my conscience.
 

Coca production is terrible for the environment, because you have the farmers clearing sections of rain forest to grow it and you have the government spraying chemicals from the sky to kill off plots. This ends up being a constant cycle of trees being cut because their plot has been destroyed and then it ends up being sprayed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_production_in_Colombia#Environmental_Effects

Pigs on the other hand are actually fairly good for their environment, they can be reared on land that is low in nutrients where crops wouldn't grow. They then root around in the ground and shit everywhere which turns the soil over naturally whilst providing nutrients to it. Las Vegas is a great example of this because their pig farms are taking a load of waste from the excessive buffets and feeding the pigs with it instead of it just being sent to landfill. Then you move the pigs off that land and starting growing crops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRprZ8C93g

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

 The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

...Nah, he can't be using a discussion on ethics to humble-brag, surely.

I hope nobody bites...

*nobody bites*

...

46 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

When you factor in the amount of landmass, number of animals killed, pollution and water use a kilo doesn’t come close to a whole pig. 
I’ll check out the carbon neutral thing, but for what I earn over in places like New York or Los Angeles I don’t mind giving a bit back to ease my conscience.
 

Never change, Maxwell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Coca production is terrible for the environment, because you have the farmers clearing sections of rain forest to grow it and you have the government spraying chemicals from the sky to kill off plots. This ends up being a constant cycle of trees being cut because their plot has been destroyed and then it ends up being sprayed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_production_in_Colombia#Environmental_Effects

Pigs on the other hand are actually fairly good for their environment, they can be reared on land that is low in nutrients where crops wouldn't grow. They then root around in the ground and shit everywhere which turns the soil over naturally whilst providing nutrients to it. Las Vegas is a great example of this because their pig farms are taking a load of waste from the excessive buffets and feeding the pigs with it instead of it just being sent to landfill. Then you move the pigs off that land and starting growing crops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRprZ8C93g

I won't comment too much here as I don't have much to add that is particularly informed but as someone who has a small holding I can confirm pigs are wonderful for the environment. They clear our over run and useless land and turn it over, 18 months later it's most arable land on my property.

Edited by ElCece
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think for certain people it's more about the tag than anything else. Is one person being a chest-thumping vegan who has it on their Twitter handle and adopts it as their persona worth more than 20 people who quietly go about removing meat from much of their diet, but who aren't perfect and don't claim the moral high ground? 

I don't think so.

It's that majority who choose to buy vegan or vegetarian alternatives in Tesco as much as they can, who try the odd vegan recipe here & there and make changes as best they can to their diets and the diets of their families who will make the difference.

It's not an all or nothing game, as has been shown in this thread over the past few pages. Can Loki claim to care about animal welfare and still eat meat? Of course he can, if he's making conscious choices to change how he goes about sourcing his food, and if he's switching from a traditional home-made curry on a Wednesday night to a veggie or vegan curry, if he's actively supporting animal welfare charities then he's doing his bit, and that should be commended. Not every bugger can dive head-first into "kicking off" outside slaughter houses and running facebook groups. That's fine for the young and those with no real responsibilities. And that's not a jab at those people, by the way. We were all there at one time in life.

The twats who define themselves by being vegan, and who judge others by where they see the line being drawn, all the while conveniently drawing their own line to suit themselves are actually counter-productive to the wider acceptance of veganism. 

As I've mentioned previously, I went vegetarian for over a year but it simply wasn't something me and my other half could sustain, but we certainly do our level best to shop responsibly, eat vegetarian and even vegan where possible, when we eat out we almost always give our business to local vegan restaurants and so on. 

I'm nowhere near perfect on the matter, and as such I'll not judge others who choose to eat meat. I'll often suggest they try the restaurants I go to, or will suggest the vegan/veggie alternatives that I buy, but I know that if I get all holier than thou and start banging on about how they must hate animals it won't ever end with them saying "you know what Dave, you're right. I'm a cunt. I'll start eating vegan tomorrow."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe Loki is a Tom Brady vegan, like 50% of the NFL.  Now THAT's a callback!!

There is undeniably a few who adopted veganism as a fashion accessory or a lifestyle as opposed to an ethical choice but at least it's one that is doing the world some good.  It's not like they're Real Ale Twats, now there is a fashion accessory lifestyle we can all hate together!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

I like this thread, pop in quite often. I'm intrigued by the idea of going Vegan more as a challenge to see if I can do it rather than anything ethical.

Having said that I have had a niggling guilt for years that I tend to ignore most of the time because meat is delicious.

Since I was doing the shopping after work this morning I thought I'd give vegan friendly stuff a shot. I guess I'm a vegetarian for the day because I also have a bunch of chocolate I was given for my birthday yesterday but it might be the first step in changing some of my habits and at least cutting down.

By sheet coincidence the case of beer I plan to drink today is also Vegan.

One of my motivations is my Wife who has developed a dairy and gluten intolerance and the lack of options for her bums me out. Obviously Vegan stuff knocks the diary on the head is there any chance most vegan stuff is Gluten free? 

EDIT - So on Friday's I get done for the weekend and buy a bunch of snacky shite to sit and munch whilst I wait for the family. Normally a ginsters pasty or sausage roll that tastes like ass or what not. Today I swapped it out for a Fry's Family Sausage Roll. You know what I'm pretty impressed. It's basically the exact same pretty shitty taste like ass taste and consistency as Ginsters or Sainsbury's own brand meat sausage rolls.

Edited by DEF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched 'The Game Changers' on Netlix over Christmas, and it was an interesting watch to say the least.

My wife has been vegetarian since she was about 12, so since getting together our eating habits have always been very different. After having watched the documentary, I decided it was time to give in and try some of her Quorn products. I tried the bacon, chicken nuggets and chicken pieces and to be fair they were all pretty good.

I'm not going to go vegetarian, but i'll swap out a few things here and there.

Edited by TheSurgeon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, David said:

 

I think for certain people it's more about the tag than anything else. Is one person being a chest-thumping vegan who has it on their Twitter handle and adopts it as their persona worth more than 20 people who quietly go about removing meat from much of their diet, but who aren't perfect and don't claim the moral high ground? 

I don't think so.

 

Everything in your post is either misinformed or just flat out wrong. I only talk about Veganism in the Vegan thread, I know lots of Vegans and I can’t think of anyone who uses it as their whole identity.  I know that I have a lot more about me than just this. If someone has the name of their football club in their twitter bio does that become their whole identity?

I’ve also never claimed to be an all knowing moral high ground, it’s just basic common sense to say if you care about something you don’t pay to have it killed. 

Not many people jump straight into being a full blown activist after going Vegan, I did it quietly at first too. Once you have distanced yourself from all animal abuse that nagging guilt a lot of people have becomes intensified, because they see the issues a lot more clearly. 

People seem to have this mad concept that Vegans do it because they want to bring people down. That idea can fuck right off. People try to get othera to go Vegan for two reasons. Saving animals is the first one. It’s not enough for me to not harm animals when I know I could save more by stopping other people from harming them. 

The second reason is I have a strong desire to share this amazing feeling I have with other people. Incase you haven’t noticed, Vegans love being Vegan. I want other people to feel the benefits and happiness they will get. It’s like introducing someone to their new favourite band times a thousand. Whenever I get a message saying I’ve helped someone go Vegan it is the best feeling.

I haven’t subjected anyone to anything they didn’t sign up to when they clicked on a Vegan thread. You are here of your own free will. I also don’t do anything particularly unusual either. How many people here have had debates about Brexit or defended their political party of choice?

It’s human nature to try and get people to do the right thing. If you care about animals, you’ll go Vegan. If you care about climate change, you’ll go Vegan. 

If humans were killed at the same rate as animals we would be extinct within 17 days. It doesn’t need to be that way.

Edited by UK Kat Von D
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...