• Paid Members

Piff Paff Poff!

Piff Paff Poff!

Piff Paff Poff!

Poff Piff,

35 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Oh bugger. 

• Paid Members

Enjoyed what has quickly become my signature chippy tea of Haddock, chips and a fishcake. Bloody immense as always.

IMG_3011.thumb.jpeg.0be6951c38f8a3616c011bf7ca613ee7.jpeg

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Got more than just chips from Harper's on the A64 today. Had a battered sausage, chips and curry with a portion of mozzarella sticks as well to split with my travelling companions. The sausage was delicious, and the curry sauce had a little warmth, but it wasn't overpowering as my friend ended up dipping her chips in the rest of it, and she hates spicy food. If you're on your way to Scarborough or Filey it's well recommended. 

20240718_183343.JPG

Edited by Jazzy G

• Paid Members

In Pwllheli & got fish, chips & curry for tea. Fish was very lightly battered (maybe too light) but was cooked beautifully. Chips were decent and the curry sauce was the standard stuff that we had in school (not a bad thing at all). 7.5/10

20240724_180052.thumb.jpg.f1882275ece69c909e70ff6af845e8f9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

OLD AGE IN-LAWS CHIPPY TOUR 2024 pt1

I considered doing one digest at the end but that’s how you miss small details. Saturday morning Mrs raid was virtually undecided as to whether to show her rents the joy of Rhyl (so I was thinking Les & Rita) or just go back to Llandudno - the latter won out, which meant Barnacles.

IMG_5073.thumb.jpeg.ec515fb11741ff44fac843b58463d601.jpegIMG_5077.thumb.jpeg.294f1eae5e6e0335a4d3b37333c648ee.jpegIMG_5078.thumb.jpeg.9711e744710d0ce84c706526fcb3bf09.jpegIMG_5081.thumb.jpeg.ee9749e70f1268417f0ac07f2491ccb5.jpegIMG_5074.thumb.jpeg.18574608c73c124fc9759d32b7d14714.jpegIMG_5080.thumb.jpeg.e8b1f2f29262d909d1064984920cf9a7.jpeg

Fish was meaty, sweet and fresh. Chips were just in that sweet spot between still crisp but not burning-your-mouth hot. Probably best we’ve had from there. Haddock (£7.50) and large chips (£4) twice plus curry sauce (£1.40) - £24.40 so exactly £6.10 a head to feed four happily by the sea, I won’t complain.

• Paid Members

My plan last year was to get fish and chips from there, walk to the front and eat them looking over the sea.  Being assaulted by a seagull for a chicken tikka sandwich put me off that.

55 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

My plan last year was to get fish and chips from there, walk to the front and eat them looking over the sea.  Being assaulted by a seagull for a chicken tikka sandwich put me off that.

To be fair, the sea is a seagull's domain. If you bring a chippy tea into my yard I'm gonna be taking my share.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

It’s funny but this is an obvious clichéd story of gulls nabbing your food but I’ve never had them get close enough to me in any of my coastal visits. It’s happened to my sister in law, funnily enough, but she’s a total weapon and deserved it the way Mrs raid tells it. Specific to Llandudno, Barnacles is nicely near a crossing between hotels Imperial and Marine where you can sit on numerous benches in sight of the sea and scoff away safe distance from gulls pestering people on the beach itself.

Sounds like we’re going to Blackpool tomorrow. I’m going to eat you, little fishy.

• Members
1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Chippy van is in the village, so the wife treat us. Chips were a tad soggy, but the sausage was brilliant, and not as bad as it looks at all.

20240806_175450.jpg

That looks great, but what's all the stuff* over the chips?

*Keep all of your Northern insults to yourself thanks ???

• Paid Members

I've been in Yorkshire for about 15 years now, but still remember the first time I went to a chippy and was asked "d'y'want Scraps, luv?" and I was terrified of what that might be so said no.. I've lived in Hertfordshire, Lancashire, Kent and Merseyside and had never heard of such a thing. Looking online it looks like the terminology is one of those controversial regional variant debate type things, but I had never even seen it done under any name before moving to Leeds. Maybe I'd just been going to the wrong/right chippies.