• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Sir Christopher Lee gets my vote. The chap played so many cool parts from Saruman to Dracula to a Bond Villain. He was Lord Summerisle (my personal favourite role). He fought in World War 2 and made a heavy metal album at the age of 91 years old. He spoke 9 languages. Then there's that great story about Peter Jackson trying to tell him the sound to make to accurately play a man getting stabbed in the back and he replied by telling him what a man actually does in that scenario, based on his war service. In short, one of the most remarkable men of our times and I can't imagine anybody disliking him. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Calm down. And yes. Isn’t that why people are posting names of who they think everyone loves and then it’s up for debate?

What are you telling me to calm down for? I was only asking.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Sir Christopher Lee gets my vote. The chap played so many cool parts from Saruman to Dracula to a Bond Villain. He was Lord Summerisle (my personal favourite role). He fought in World War 2 and made a heavy metal album at the age of 91 years old. He spoke 9 languages. Then there's that great story about Peter Jackson trying to tell him the sound to make to accurately play a man getting stabbed in the back and he replied by telling him what a man actually does in that scenario, based on his war service. In short, one of the most remarkable men of our times and I can't imagine anybody disliking him. 

You missed off Gremlins 2 - The New Batch

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Add me to fans of the Ghost In The Shell live action. I like the anime too, but I thought the film was very good and was glad that it wasn’t just a carbon copy.

It just goes to show how quickly things have changed in the attitudes towards the casting of roles. When Dallas Buyers Club came out 5 years ago, no-one mentioned anything about the casting choices. If it was made today, Matthew McConaughey would have a Twitter-mob giving him shit for not having AIDS.

I remember years back when I was in China, the film Memoirs of a Geisha was receiving some backlash because the lead was a Chinese actress playing a Japanese role. Obviously, there are many historical reasons as to  why this caused issues in those countries, but I don’t recall hearing anything about it in english/western media

Yeah, that was something I ranted about too; more about the silence on the subject than the actual casting, which was bad enough.

As to McConaughey, I don't think anyone would've given him shit for playing someone with HIV, because not only have people with HIV been represented, and represented sensitively (Dallas Buyers' Club and Philadelphia are the two off the top of my head), but also there have been many notable performers either living with HIV or who have sadly passed from it.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

You came across annoyed. I suggested her because people genuinely seem to like her. 

Why would I be annoyed?

I seem to remember a lot of flak flying around her regarding something to do with Kim Kardashian but I don't remember specifically what it was. Seemed to have dimmed the view of her for a lot of people.

• Paid Members

Someone mentioned Dwayne Johnson earlier. That gets a veto from me because he throw little tantrums on Twitter whenever he happens upon people who don't like his movies. Also, he uses that 'crying eyes laughing' emoji a lot and I REALLY have an irrational hatred of that.

Rik Mayall is shoe in, even if 'Drop Dead Fred' doesn't hold up well all these years later, especially that final 1/3. Woof.

Everyone in comedy seems to love Billy Connolly. He get a vote from me. Bruce Springsteen too, don't know of anybody who actually has a dislike of The Boss.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Bruce Springsteen too, don't know of anybody who actually has a dislike of The Boss.

One plank on here would probably veto him but otherwise, yeah.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why would I be annoyed?

I seem to remember a lot of flak flying around her regarding something to do with Kim Kardashian but I don't remember specifically what it was. Seemed to have dimmed the view of her for a lot of people.

I don't know the detail of the issue. But I can't imagine backing Kim over her, whatever it was!

Edit: now I am dumber for having read about fucking Twitter beef, I can confirm I am team Chloe all the way.

So who is unhateable so far, just John Candy? I bet Katie Hopkins hated him, she seems the sort. 

I wonder if part of the universal love for someone has to do with how threatening they seem? Not many handsome/beautiful people are universally loved and it would explain why a bunch of blokes are hesitant to throw any women's name in to the hat.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why would I be annoyed?

My bad. Misinterpreted it. 

Kim came out of that looking childish and silly. Only her idiot fans would take her side. 

Veto on Millie Bobbie Brown. She's only a kid so it would be unfair to say I dislike her or anything like that, but I find the over-exposure of the Stranger Things kids grating and it's unnerving how they insist on behaving like or being perceived as adults. Except Gaten Matazzaro, he's just brilliant.

Archived