8 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Did anyone end up disliking Louis Theroux on here? 

There is a bit in the swingers episode of Weird Weekends where he goes to a supermarket with the wife of the main swinger guy, who clearly doesn't want her friends and neighbours to know that she and her husband swing. When she starts telling the cashier that Louis is making a documentary about supermarkets, Louis laughs and presses her to tell them the real reason he's there. She's clearly uncomfortable and once they get outside he apologises.

Given that the whole angle of the show is that this woman's husband has pressured her into a lifestyle she doesn't really enjoy, this sequence seems rather cruel and made me think twice about whether I'd actually like Louis in person.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Genuinely didn't know about this

It was at a comedy roast for Whoopi Goldberg, she loved it.  Others, not so much.  He deeply regrets it now as is well ashamed of it.

• Paid Members

That horrible man @Frankie Crisp will probably veto this but Paul Rudd seems to be liked by everyone?

Similarly Keira Knightley. She seems to have been quiet lately, hasn't been in much that I can remember though.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That horrible man @Frankie Crisp will probably veto this but Paul Rudd seems to be liked by everyone?

Similarly Keira Knightley. She seems to have been quiet lately, hasn't been in much that I can remember though.

Paul Rudd's so likeable I've watched some real stinkers just because of him. He makes some really terrible films.

I find kiera knightly really quite annoying though, sorry Devon.

• Paid Members

I was wondering when I started this thread just how many women would be suggested here - and it's been about as few as I expected. Why do we reckon that is? Why is our perception that men seem to be more instantly likeable than women? Is it because most of us on here are men or is there a different reason for it?

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Henry Cavill seems like an absolutely brilliant guy, he also runs a charity to protect animals which is the exact opposite of Chris Pratt. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/13/henry-cavill-criticised-metoo-comments

• Moderators

Probably because I identify with men and their character traits as regards masculinity more than women I'd assume. The whole "That's the kind of man I'd like to be" thing, as opposed to "The kind of person I'd like to be". I'm probably massively sexist and don't even know it. I dread to think what Laura Mulvey would make of it all.

• Paid Members

It wasn't so much the "chasing" thing, more the comment of "I'm now afraid to chat women up in case I get called a rapist". 

He seems like a nice guy, but that was pretty stupid.

EDIT: Ah, sorry - you were replying to Devon. Fair enough.

Actually, now that Devon's raised the point, this is where I should do a bit of self-monitoring: why didn't it occur to me to name more women? There are plenty who seem or seemed really awesome:

Tilda Swinton

Miriam Margolyes

Maxine Peake

Carrie Fisher

Whoopi Goldberg

Natalie Dormer

• Moderators

I think it's also the question being asked - it's asking who is universally likeable rather than who we find likeable. I have have a perhaps incorrect preconception that women will be more polarizing.

Anyway - here's one now that old Ted has been shot down.  Surely no-one dislikes Mary Steenburgen?

Edit: replying to Devon and Butch. I'm not sure what you're talking about Carbomb. A little confused with your post.

Can I nominate Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson?  He seems pretty universally liked. He's not even a good actor but yet millions (including myself) seem to watch his films - and he just seems like a lovely bloke

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Edit: replying to Devon and Butch. I'm not sure what you're talking about Carbomb. A little confused with your post.

I thought Butch was replying to the Henry Cavill article I posted, but he was replying to Devon's question as to why we as guys haven't nominated more women in this thread.

Archived