Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hearts have been pulling the "announce tickets sold rather than actual attendance" stunt for years up here.

Which is why a few of their supporters in the media are obsessed with counting the attendances at other stadiums.  

I think the only reason clubs do this is to try and get more revenue by building a bigger profile of the club. So when your pitching to sponsors it looks more attractive to say you 'sold' 50,000 tickets every week than saying the attendance was 39,000. 

It's also been said that clubs also do this with season ticket waiting lists to a) create a demand and b) to seem attractive to sponsors. In reality there is probably never a 20 year wait for a season ticket as you have to take into account that 20 years is a long time and some people will either not have the money, will have got married & had a family, have passed away or have lost interest in the club. Of course if your a sponsor a 20 year waiting list suggests a big demand and a big fan base. (depending on the club of course).

I wouldn't expect a club to admit to the above but thats the only reason why I think they would go with tickets sold than actual attendance. 

What I don't understand if why there should be such a vast gap between the numbers of Tickets sold and those attendeded? Why are thousands buying a ticket but then not attending?

I can understand the odd few, season ticket holders away on holiday etc or a family emergency comes up last min but surely that would only total in the low hundreds at best per game.

Almost certainly in City's case I bet loads of executive season tickets get bought and rarely used.

I've know a few people on the Liverpool season ticket waiting list going 10+ years. They changed the process a bit a couple of years ago so not sure how much better it is.

• Paid Members

It's funny, but we fans have always thought Barnsley did the opposite for years and understated the attendances, especially in the days when all tickets were paid for in cash(and 95% of tickets were purchased at the turnstiles). It was assumed to be so hey could declare less income for tax purposes(allegedly, obviously)! 

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

It's funny seeing West Ham near the top of that list. Remember, they have 5,000,000 on their season ticket waiting list according to the Dildo Brothers.

West Ham have a funny percentage of season ticket holders as well don't they? Something like 50,000 of the 57,000 seats are meant to be for season ticket holders. Which leaves very little tickets sold on a match per match basis which is bizarre given there is probably opportunities to cash in on tourists/casuals given where they are. 

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

It's funny, but we fans have always thought Barnsley did the opposite for years and understated the attendances, especially in the days when all tickets were paid for in cash(and 95% of tickets were purchased at the turnstiles). It was assumed to be so hey could declare less income for tax purposes(allegedly, obviously)! 

Wasn't this pretty common? I think Ian Rush or someone for Liverpool had an announced attendance of something like 27000 at his testimonial even though it was packed out. 

Last five minutes aside, that's comfortably the best we've looked since the West Ham game, especially in the midfield. Was worried about Milner's legs when Dembele was making runs from deep but he played really well.

If Salah and Mane managed to remember they had 9 other players on the pitch, we'd have won that by 3/4. Salah trying to beat his man and cut in on his left is understandable because that's where so many of his goals came from last season, but Mane trying to belt one in front 30 yards when he's got so many options to his left is frustrating as fuck. Firmino showed how important he is when Sturridge came on and provided nothing. Odd change from Klopp that, bringing a midfielder off for a striker with ten minutes left defending a lead.

VVD blinding again. He's far and away the best defender in the league for me. He's absolutely solid as anything, and you can see the effect it has on our other defenders having someone as commanding as him in the middle of everything. Didn't give Kane a sniff. 

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

Even by Liverpool fan standards this is some hyperbole.

I really don't think so, considering how good he's been so far this season.

He's bossed every game we've played in. The reason we've conceded so few is that of the lack of chances we've offered up to any of the teams we've played. He's kept every striker we've come up against this season quiet, and that includes some really quality ones like Kane today. He brings a calmness and solidity to our defense that we've lacked for ages, and that's been evident ever since he signed and we stopped shipping goals every game. The easiest money-winner in terms of betting last season was BTTS in our games because as good our as front three were, our defense was constantly letting us down. We've still got a very young defense in comparison to other teams around us, but you wouldn't know it if you watched them and a big chunk of that falls on the shoulders of Van Dijk. He's so commanding. 

Archived