Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Hopefully not. Sam Ricketts is going to definitely get us promoted.

What are you making of Mike Fondop so far Butch?  , the signing was met with apathy but having had him with us last year i told a few Wrexham fans on twitter that despite being far from the finished article the lad has alot of qualities, big and strong, will work so hard, fairly quick and a goalscorer, he seems to have hit the ground running which is great as he's a lovely bloke as well

Edited by The British Bushwacker

9 hours ago, martyngnr said:

Except Celtic this season are a mess defensively (even worse than under Ronny Deila), Boyata is hugely overrated and they can definitely be gotten at. 

That they won't be scooping the circa 30 million quid that getting to the CL group stages brings is brilliant news for the rest of us. 

Where is the evidence of that? That seems like quite a spurious comment so early into the season. I trust from the picture of John Hewitt in your avatar that you're an Aberdeen fan - even when Celtic were dire under Ronny Deila, they still pissed the league. People talk about that season as if Aberdeen had some big great chance: it never materialised and this season will be the exact same. If Rangers can win their home games against the bottom six instead of losing or drawing every second week then they might just have a chance of closing the gap. Perhaps Hibs will mount some sort of challenge if they fail to qualify for Europe. Aberdeen will stand no chance of winning the league for the simple reason that they have a complete aversion to playing the Old Firm when the chips are down, whereas Hibs and Hearts don't.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, The British Bushwacker said:

What are you making of Mike Fondop so far Butch?  , the signing was met with apathy but having had him with us last year i told a few Wrexham fans on twitter that despite being far from the finished article the lad has alot of qualities, big and strong, will work so hard, fairly quick and a goalscorer, he seems to have hit the ground running which is great as he's a lovely bloke as well

He's absolutely banging them in for us. I think he's scored 4 in 4. Big fan.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

Where is the evidence of that? That seems like quite a spurious comment so early into the season. I trust from the picture of John Hewitt in your avatar that you're an Aberdeen fan - even when Celtic were dire under Ronny Deila, they still pissed the league. People talk about that season as if Aberdeen had some big great chance: it never materialised and this season will be the exact same. If Rangers can win their home games against the bottom six instead of losing or drawing every second week then they might just have a chance of closing the gap. Perhaps Hibs will mount some sort of challenge if they fail to qualify for Europe. Aberdeen will stand no chance of winning the league for the simple reason that they have a complete aversion to playing the Old Firm when the chips are down, whereas Hibs and Hearts don't.

I would suggest that being 1 point behind with 8 games to go qualifies as having a chance.

Yes, we fell away for various reasons (mostly of our own doing) but let's not pretend that Celtic were miles ahead all season.

13 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Question for the non league enthusiasts, what the hell is going on with the changes to the Southern League this season? Why has it been split into two divisions ala what they used to do with the old 4th Division back in the day?

I think they've basically added another league so you have the South and Central teams separate. It makes sense as there were some ridiculous journeys in the old Southern Prem for that level. Merthyr to Kings Lynn springs to mind, must be close to a 16 hour round trip. Not sure how promotion will work.

1 hour ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I think they've basically added another league so you have the South and Central teams separate. It makes sense as there were some ridiculous journeys in the old Southern Prem for that level. Merthyr to Kings Lynn springs to mind, must be close to a 16 hour round trip. Not sure how promotion will work.

It was changed more to get more teams further up the pyramid, more leagues but the leagues are generally 2 teams smaller.

At 7th Tier you had 3 leagues last season, Isthmian, Southern and Northern Premier, each league with 24 teams in each (72 teams), now there is 4 leagues with 22 teams in each (88 teams).

At 8th tier you had 6 leagues last season with Isthmian, Southern and Northern each having 2 regional leagues, each with 22 (132 teams). Now the Isthmian has 3 regional leagues, and all 7 at the tier have 20 teams (140). Fuck knows how the relegation and promotion system will work as Southern has 2 teams at each tier and Isthmian has 3 in 1 tier and only 1 in the other. However I imagine it means with some teams don't know where you will promote or relegate to until you find out what others have learnt their fate.

I will add, as I am pretty sure I have done in the past, if you have a local team in tiers 7-11, why not go and give it a shot. It can pretty fun to watch, and socially enjoyable as I have made friends going to my local team. My season ticket this year is £75 for Hanwell Town (19 matches plus home cup matches and play off semi-final). Last season they were Southern League Eastern division but now Isthmian League South Central (transferred to that league from their previous league with 7 other teams).

Edited by westlondonmist

18 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Question for the non league enthusiasts, what the hell is going on with the changes to the Southern League this season? Why has it been split into two divisions ala what they used to do with the old 4th Division back in the day?

Someone at the FA who's even more obtuse than I am took the word 'pyramid' too seriously. They're aiming for 4 divisions in the seventh tier, 8 in the eighth and 16 in the ninth. Once all the reforms are done it's supposed to be nice and neat. Sadly we're in a complete mess at the moment because there's a long transitional phase, not just in terms of promotion and relegation, but also with how byes work in the early rounds of the FA Cup and Trophy. Clubs are being forced to accept promotion (as well as some questionable sideways moves like the one mentioned above) and the FA is dictating the uniform size of each division to the formerly autonomous leagues. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

I cant make head nor tail of this, its a barking mad thing to do, i hope he gets collared for this. He seemed to be a ref with a good pedigree too, what a chum he is for doing this 

Fu-kennel, those are bad.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Callum1993 said:

In the most bizarre story of the season so far Prem referee Bobby Madley has quit allegedly due to a video surfacing of him having sex with a Jack Russell. Unbelievable if true. The game has gone to the dogs literally. 

I was so close to posting something about this in here last night, but I didn't want a 'not now boyo' moment for the UKFF. Although to be fair, it's all over Twitter, so fuck it.

It surely must be bollocks.