Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Bacon thinks he's had it tough, but I remember the year we finished tenth after walking the league the previous season. Now I know what it's like to support the likes of Portsmouth and Blackpool in recent years.

Lowest point supporting your club would be an interesting topic if it's not been done. When Doncaster were relegated from the football league in 98 having won 4 of 46 games, we managed to lose 1-0 to them. Can't think of a worse game or season. We finished 22nd in Division 3.

• Paid Members

Being 40 minutes away from not having a club after Barnsley went into admin and struggled to find a buyer was mine, hinds down. We all new that a  deadline had been set, and we were all on edge waiting for some news. We even had a major scare when word leaked out that the only person interested had pulled out, but it all tunred out to be a hoax. In the end, the club was rescued by former mayor Pete Doyle. Unfortunatly, it turned out he only wanted to club to flattern the ground and build houses. Luckily, the council told him to fuck off, so he ended up selling to the late, great Patric Cryne who basically saved us, and turned the club around to eventually make a profit every year.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Lowest point supporting your club would be an interesting topic if it's not been done.

As a Spurs fan, I'd say watching Chelsea win the Champions League in 2012.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Worst for me was watching a game and being so unentertained at being one nil up, I considered switching over. 

Thats nothing. Last year, two blokes were caught shaging in the toilets at Oakwell. I mean, how boring does a football match have to be to make you bum your mate?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Worst for me was watching a game and being so unentertained at being one nil up, I considered switching over. 

Unlikely on both fronts considering who you support.

Lowest point would be the whole of the 2002/03 season. Exeter had been bought by two guys who promised they had a load of money, and then didn't. They got Uri Geller aboard as co-chairman, arranged Michael Jackson to come to our ground as some kind of money-raising thing and then installed him as a non-executive director https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/jun/26/michael-jackson-exeter-city-geller

This was before a ball had been kicked. Then followed a horrific season, in which Geller quit, we nearly hired Paul Gascoigne as manager (https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/flashback-exeter-city-almost-appoint-362325)

We went through three managers, couldn't pay our players, got relegated out of the league (it came down to us or Swansea in the last game), then followed a transfer embargo, the co-chairmen being arrested, and the Supporters Trust taking over the club. No matter what happens in the future, football will never get as low as that, ever again.

Edited by Grecian

• Moderators

Well I had the best of both worlds as the mighty Wrexham FC put Manchester United Golden Children to the sword 5-1 yesterday with a spectacularly entertaining display. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

United's football under Solskjaer has been more ambitious, more entertaining and encouraged more freedom of expression AND has yielded results. In fairness, they've not played anyone of note yet.

Keith is hammering home his obsession with winning at all costs but he supports a shitarse team, as I do. I'd take defending for 89 minutes every week and then scoring off someone's arse. When you're a top team assembled at  cost of three, four or five hundred million quid, it's not unreasonable to expect football that's ambitious, high tempo, incisive and more interesting than Mourinho's.

• Paid Members

"most surprising appointment in Premier League history" is precisely the kind of stupid, hyperbolic reason that I stopped bothering with Cox months ago. Especially when he then goes on to explain why United hired Solskjaer and outline what the 'United Way' is in that very same article! It's complete bollocks.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

22 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Keith is hammering home his obsession with winning at all costs but he supports a shitarse team, as I do. I'd take defending for 89 minutes every week and then scoring off someone's arse. When you're a top team assembled at  cost of three, four or five hundred million quid, it's not unreasonable to expect football that's ambitious, high tempo, incisive and more interesting than Mourinho's.

Winning is the most important thing, winning with a smile is a bonus.

And yeah, "Most surprising" is bollocks, isn't it.  I liked how the article showed the brilliance of Ferguson, the fact he doesn't have a set way of playing is why the game never caught up with him and surpassed like it has with Jose and Wenger.

• Paid Members

So we're half way there in the PL after tonight's game. Thoughts on your team and the league?

Liverpool's half a season has been remarkable. 19 unbeaten is impressive. 6 goals conceded is out of this world. And on course (In theory) for 102 points which is also incredible. I wouldn't mind if they won it. Certainly didn't think in 1990 that is be here 28 years later wondering whether they would win another. I know no one likes them but no one likes anyone these days.

Surprised the wheels have fallen off at City but listened to a pod today with a great theory on the importance of Fernandinho. In fairness too, I heard someone on Talk sport a few weeks ago when everyone was sure City would win it suggested it wasn't over and gave Fernandinho's inevitable suspensions as a reason why. City v Liverpool should be a cracker next week.

Pleased for Spurs being up there. They're a joy to watch. That slaughtering of Everton last week was one of the most impressive performances in PL history for me. Glad I was right about their lack of signings too. Not often I am! Ridiculous hyperbole spoken and written about that last summer. 

Some utter shite in the league too. Only the top 8 have a positive goal difference and the bottom six all have less than a point a game. As much as I enjoy seeimg some traditionally big clubs getting a humbling I'm the Championship (and lower), I do think the league is poorer for having utter shitarses like Brighton and Burnley stinking it up while Villa, Forest, Norwich and the White Shite are having belting games in the Championship.