Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Beat a team today full of massive beasts. If HHH was there today he'd have signed their Centre Forward Bissett to a contract. 1-0. 6,300. Only 170 where from Solihull. 

For the first time in 10 years I'm daring to believe. 

• Paid Members

Look at their defence and consider how few goals they've considered this season. The defence has improved considerably over the past 12 months what with the VVD signing, bedding Robertson into the side and the continued development of Gomez and TAA. That's a bloody good defence right there, in front of the assured goalkeeper they've been looking for since Reina. Lovren, Clyne, Matip and a makeshift Milner are adequate back-up at this level too. That's their main problem area addressed.

Their second problem area was the midfield but Keita and now Fabinho, along with an improved Wijnaldum and renaissance man James Milner, have sorted that too. Ox is still to return from injury as well and he was really starting to look decent for them. They don't even need a #10 traditional playmaker from the way they play. Shaqiri has also been a fine signing, especially for the pittance he cost, proving to be an excellent squad player. This squad is bloody good, credit where due they've done a fantastic job addressing the problem areas in 2018.

Champions elect, I think.

Might be right there Frankie, my biggest fear is we have played ugly and won a bit this season and we're yet to see what happens when we do that and lose. The biggest positive for this team is that it very rarely hits a slump, if we lose we usually bounce back right away.

It's way too early to get cocky yet.

• Paid Members

As a Scotsman, I don't really understand the dislike a lot of you guys have for Liverpool. As a neutral, they're great to watch and I'd love to see them win the league - although that's mainly because I have really liked Jurgen Klopp and loved watching his Dortmund team. I've never really understood the hate Liverpool get, but I suppose it's not my game and I have no involvement further than watching Match of the Day.. As a team, they all seem quite likable to me. 

As for my team, Celtic were beaten by Rangers today. I'm taking it on the chin because in the great scheme of things 1 loss in 13 in a derby really is nothing to cry about and besides missing key players like Rogic to that farcical Australian international situation, that is the worst I have seen Celtic play in years without exaggeration. We were miserable to watch and Rangers wanted it much more. They'll go laughing into the new year but a game in hand in the league, one cup in the bag and a European double header against Valencia to savour, there's nothing to panic about yet! Saying that, I hope we have a decent transfer window for once and actually buy some players. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I realise I never actually posited the question: why are they hated so much?

The fans

Klopp's laugh

Suarez

Istanbul when Gerrard dived

YNWA song

"People's champions"

The fans

3 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

The majority of the 1980s.

There are still Coventry fans who resent Liverpool fans because we couldn't play in Europe because of them.  After all, Heysel was the only example of hooliganism that involved an English club in those years.

Yeah, I think Liverpool have won the league. I thought it a couple games back but I can't see them fucking it up from here. If van Dijk gets injured, that would be a big concern of course. De Bruyne will surely hit his lofty heights again too. But Liverpool have been winning comfortably and without needing to go into fifth gear often. I like this Liverpool team and manager so all the best to them, even if the fans can be annoying.

If the implication is that the preference is for City to win, their dodgy sponsorships and finances repels me. And Klopp is more likeable than Guardiola.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

There are still Coventry fans who resent Liverpool fans because we couldn't play in Europe because of them.  After all, Heysel was the only example of hooliganism that involved an English club in those years.

The village next to me is massively Evertonian, and that's their bugbear too.