Backlash (this year and previous)

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone involved with that show needs to apologise to Seth Rollins and The Miz.

It was nothing short of an embarassment. Poor booking, poor matches. Poor everything. Just terrible.

They’re the premium wrestling company in the world, with a near monopoly on 2018’s available talent. To put on a show like that they almost have to have an active distaste for putting on a good product.

Big Cass, in particular, should be questioning his career choices today. To be able to have a worst match of a night with Daniel fucking Bryan is an astonishing feat. 

• Paid Members

I wasn't interested in much beyond the main event. In fairness, Rollins and Miz forced my interest by having a barnburner. Rollins is as good as he's ever been and The Miz is the best "WWE style" wrestler and performer by a mile.

Fucking hate that Carmella beat Charlotte. One if those really stupid finishes that makes no sense. Carmella couldn't beat Charlotte in a million years a month ago. Now one spawny title win later, she can take her. Wouldn't be so bad if it was properly dirty. 

Finish to Naka and AJ was laughable. The double KO in that episode of Porridge is the only acceptable instance. Ever.

Loved Reigns going over. The fat lady was singing "Let it go" in the back but Vince just RKO'd her.

I hate Corey Graves. My biggest dislike in pro-wrestling is any cunt stupid enough to think it's not Black and white. Fuck this 'shades of gray' bollocks. If you're going to be a dickhead, be a dickhead all the time. Don't cheer for some babyfaces and despise some heels. Don't chuckle half the time, unless it's at your own dastardly put downs, and don't smile every time you're on camera. Fuck off.

• Paid Members

I fell asleep just following Miz vs Rollins.

Sounds like I did well.

edit- I must add, what a bloody excellent performance that was. Arguably my favourite WWE match of the year. It was just spot on, nothing to argue with, the crowd were great, both lads put on a really solid match. No unnecessary bollocks. Loved it.

37 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I hate Corey Graves. My biggest dislike in pro-wrestling is any cunt stupid enough to think it's not Black and white. Fuck this 'shades of gray' bollocks. If you're going to be a dickhead, be a dickhead all the time. Don't cheer for some babyfaces and despise some heels. Don't chuckle half the time, unless it's at your own dastardly put downs, and don't smile every time you're on camera. Fuck off.

Interested why you don't like the shades of gray approach? Graves having a personality and disliking/liking people based on that is actually one of my favourite things about him, but I really like characters that are beyond the simple good guy/bad guy dynamic. It's one of the reasons I think GoT works so well, there's clear heroes and villains, but they're not entirely good or bad, they've got their own set of character traits and some flaws, just like people in the real world. Why is that approach a bad thing in wrestling?

Miz and Rollins, take a fucking bow. The single redeeming part of this PPV was the curtain jerker. Whether that's down to burnout from the post-Mania World tour, or just a holding pattern for a B-level PPV, someone needs to line most of the roster up and take some strips off them. It was like being served a posh, high level starter, only to face down bangers and mash, and a bowl of plain ice cream after.

These two are top of the pile for in-ring ability, coupled with Miz's gift of the gab, put the gold leaf on this stinking turd.

Nia/Alexa = Vehicle for BeAStar, hated the forced feeling of the post-match promo, despite Alexa trying her best teary eyes.

SD Women - Carmella acting like when [insert perennial jobber] gets a win. The usual sneaky wins etc until someone takes it off her, perhaps an on the night MitB cash in?

Cass needs to be sent back to NXT sharpish, the modern day Janetty, only with less charisma and worse attire. Bryan deserves better, especially after his efforts in the GRR.

Lashley looking big, dumb and bland and still having to rush that fucking stupid delayed suplex because he can't execute it and keep guys up (paging Cesaro). Strowman was wasted here, and not in a clearly defined role. You have the winner of the 50 man Rumble in a throwaway tag match and a shitty postmatch beatdown from the faces? Sami/KO split tease, like the 10 minute freeview before encryption and you have to really imagine it to spaff a load, was bullshit. It was nice not to see Shane O' though

AJ/Nakamura...after the double countout in Saudi Arabia, I was hopeful. All hope is gone. Unless AJ uses a steel codpiece (see Luger/Russo, 2000 Nitro; Road Dogg, KotR99). they've managed to fuck both AJ and the reinvigorated Shin. So the rubber match, No DQ, Texas Deathmatch? One arm tied behind the back? Strap match?

Reigns/Joe was a clusterfuck of booking. The pre-bell antics were promising, only for Vince to wrestle back the book and have Reigns be fucking indestructable. I get the Plan (TM); it just tarnishes whoever Reigns beats and Joe comes out of this looking weak.

Anything I've missed has missed my memory, other than the colourful pair front row.

WWE need to take a look outside their box. Seeing what NJPW did just shows that for every rare flash of brilliance, the iron cuffs are still on and they're stagnating.

See this is what frustrates me about modern WWE. Charlotte ends Asukas streak at Mania and then weeks later is losing clean to Carmella. 

What does that win mean now?  Nothing. 

It also seems they are reluctant to truly pull the trigger on guys too (like Nakamura as champion).

Is the general consensus that Vincent has finally lost it?

13 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

See this is what frustrates me about modern WWE. Charlotte ends Asukas streak at Mania and then weeks later is losing clean to Carmella. 

What does that win mean now?  Nothing. 

It also seems they are reluctant to truly pull the trigger on guys too (like Nakamura as champion).

Is the general consensus that Vincent has finally lost it?

I don’t think he’s lost, or that organisationally they’ve lost it. I just think their goals, objectives and desires are completely at odds with those of their customers.

In anything other than the virtual monopoly they operate in, that’d be fucking cancer.

But they’re right on Nakamura. He shouldn’t be champion, particularly not as the only active world champion on the roster.

Enzo Amore chants hijacking a Daniel Bryan match. 2018 rules.

Seriously though, apart from the opener which was probably match of the year, the rest was horrible.

Orton just doesnt give a fuck does he?

I really wanted to look at Lashley with a fresh pair of eyes, christ though so so dull.

Sami/KO split tease again, jesus wept.

Carmella being able to hang with Charlotte now is laughable. 

Suppose that finish in the WWE title match means we'll get "dream match part 3 at MITB? Urgh.

Roman Reigns is beating Brock at Money in the Bank, Joe looks like an idiot.

• Paid Members

It'd be "dream match part 4" as they had that  double count-out at the "Greatest" Royal Rumble.

That Miz Rollins match was pleasing. Having read through the other reviews here I'm tempted to stop now and get back to my 1986 NWA World Championship Wrestling binge instead.

Seth Rollins is the most over babyface on the roster at the minute and is having the best matches by a mile. I know he got a lot of criticism during his authority heel champion era but I really think they’ve got “the guy” in their hands here. He’s everything They seeminigly want Roman to be, popular with all the ages, takes 3 Skull Crushing Finales and kicks our but wins with his one finisher and the crowd were loving it - he reallly seems to have clicked.

Biggest reactions outside of Rollins and Joe tonight were for Elias and Rusev, two stars put in the “comedy segment”, they’ve got stars on their hands, the problem is a lot of them are miscast,

Lashley is an absolute joke, why did they bring him back? No one cared that he left and people care even less that he’s back. He needs to be a heel as his babyface shtick is as awful as it’s always been.

Very much a holding show this, hopefully we get more of a direction on RAW and Smackdown this week now the inter promotional stuff is done with 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t think he’s lost, or that organisationally they’ve lost it. I just think their goals, objectives and desires are completely at odds with those of their customers.

In anything other than the virtual monopoly they operate in, that’d be fucking cancer.

But they’re right on Nakamura. He shouldn’t be champion, particularly not as the only active world champion on the roster.

Yeah, his "we listen to the audience" line is nothing but hot air most of the time, with all manner of talk from former employees that WWE creative meetings are used as a way to placate his idiosyncrasies and get a crumb from his table. It's a reason they've created this weird dynamic where the fans seem to quickly take a shit on anyone that's seen as Vince's guy. In certain circles, Vince is seen as an out of touch goof rather than what he truly is, the Paul Heyman of his day.

Hopefully that kills any of the glass half full goodwill Cass has been building up on here. If you have a clue and are any decent at your craft, I'd imagine it's a piece of piss being a heel against a babyface like Daniel Bryan, but it's Cass.

I think it was Lance Storm who said that WWE has spent the last two decades conditioning the audience that those running the company are horrible heels, so naturally any wrestler 'chosen' by them will draw resentment. It is a situation WWE have created themselves through their complete monopoly on the business and refusal/not needing to change their way of doing things.

If WWE went back to running high school gyms and rec centres like they did in the early/mid nineties then things will change. Until then, it'll stay exactly as it is.

• Paid Members

Big Cass just seems so generic now. He looks like a poor man's Test, but moves like a guy at least 100lbs heavier. He doesn't strike me as being particularly strong either. He looks like he struggled to get Daniel Bryan up a couple of times.

Archived