Backlash (this year and previous)

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Backlash is tonight, I think, retaking its rightful place as ‘the one after WrestleMania’ instead of when they had it in September or something.

The card looks alright. From what I can remember there’s:

Roman Reigns vs Samoa Joe

AJ Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura in a No DQ Match

Daniel Bryan vs Big Cass

Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy for the US Title

Lashley & Strowman vs some opponents I can’t recall

The Miz vs Seth Rollins for the IC Title

Charlotte vs Carmella for the SD Women’s Title

and some other stuff.

Anyone particularly looking forward to tonight’s show? Those of you who don’t work Bank Holidays will be able to watch at your leisure tomorrow, which will be nice.

But in case tonight’s card doesn’t wow you, a question: what are the best Backlash shows and Backlash matches? It’s one that’s been around for a while - if I were to do a Backlash Greatest Hits on the Network, what should I watch? Looking at the card, 2002 seems like it’s got some appeal - Tajiri vs Kidman, Guerrero vs RVD, Angle vs Edge and Lesnar’s debut is a pretty good undercard.

NOT INCLUDING 2000 BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT WAS OBJECTIVELY THE BEST.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Rhyno vs Raven for the hardcore title in 2001 is always worth a revisit.

Orton vs Foley from 2004 is an obvious choice.

The 4-way from 2007 with Cena vs Michaels vs Orton vs Edge was quality from memory, unless I'm mixing it up with something else. 

And Jericho vs Steamboat from 2009 just because it's Jericho vs Steamboat and it was actually way better than it had any right to be considering Steamboat's age and time out of the ring. 

And I can't remember it that well but looking at the card for Backlash in 1999, it might be worth another look. It's got Austin vs Rock, Undertaker vs Ken Shamrock and Triple H vs X Pac on top. Remember loving the Mankind vs Big Show boiler room brawl off that one as well. 

Backlash 2001 was the first PPV I ever taped off Channel 4, so as such it holds fond memories. Raven vs. Rhyno with the GORE! into the shopping cart was a great midcard match, I quite liked the Ultimate Submission match (although wouldn't revisit now) and Shane vs. Big Show had a mega bump that I also enjoyed. Shame the main event 'Winner Take All' match was so turgid really.

• Paid Members

Backlash 2008 was decent. Had the Shawn Michaels vs Batista match with Jericho as the special ref. That’s what really kicked off the Jericho and Michaels feud. 

2009 was also a solid show. Had good matches like Christian vs Jack Swagger, Jericho vs Steamboat, the Hardy’s in an I Quit match and the really good last man standing match between Cena and Edge. I can’t remember if Legacy vs Triple H, Shane McMahon and Batista from that show was any good though. 

Although I haven’t watched them for ages, I seem to remember really enjoying Angle vs. Benoit and Austin and Triple H against Kane and Taker in 2001. 

Orton vs. Foley is another that comes to mind from 2004. I love the spot with the pins, nobody thought it was going to be Orton taking that bump but he did, and both his selling and Lawler’s scream when he did was fantastic.

Triple threat rematch from WM XX also in 2004 was great.

Angle vs  Edge from 2002

Honourable mention to Rock vs. Goldberg just because it was Rock vs  Goldberg.  

43 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Orton vs. Foley is another that comes to mind from 2004. I love the spot with the pins, nobody thought it was going to be Orton taking that bump but he did, and both his selling and Lawler’s scream when he did was fantastic.

I'm sure Foley said in one of his books that Orton wasn't selling after he landed on the tacks. It was something along the lines of 'He agreed to do it but probably regretted it straight after he landed'. A fantastic match nonetheless.

• Paid Members

I honestly couldn't tell you a single Backlash match that took place after the Benoit/HBK/HHH rematch.

The defining Backlash moment for me is Shane in 2001. To this day the most impressive bump I've seen, including his Hell in a Cell ones. If someone says Backlash I think of that match and the giant swinging blades.

3 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Backlash 2001 was the first PPV I ever taped off Channel 4, so as such it holds fond memories. Raven vs. Rhyno with the GORE! into the shopping cart was a great midcard match, I quite liked the Ultimate Submission match (although wouldn't revisit now) and Shane vs. Big Show had a mega bump that I also enjoyed. Shame the main event 'Winner Take All' match was so turgid really.

I enjoyed the main event but I suspected this might be the consensus as I don't hear this match talked about much. Good event anyway.

3 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I honestly couldn't tell you a single Backlash match that took place after the Benoit/HBK/HHH rematch.

The defining Backlash moment for me is Shane in 2001. To this day the most impressive bump I've seen, including his Hell in a Cell ones. If someone says Backlash I think of that match and the giant swinging blades.

That was one of my all time favourite PPV stage setups. Was my main go to arena on WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth. Looked so cool.

When they were running the individual brand PPVs, they tended to run a house show with other brands crew. Now that they’re cobranded PPVs, are they going to run a house show made up of the folks who haven’t made the card here? Or are they just sacking it off completely

• Paid Members

Awesome opener, but the rest of this show was garbage. The crowd shot they accidentally aired just as Roman won, of apathetic families grabbing their coats and leaving, summed it up perfectly. With that combined roster, there’s no excuse for a show this bad.

Archived