UFC 223 is McFucked

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Honestly, despite how I feel about him personally, I'm very much all for fighters getting the most they can from a killer career like fighting. Promoters (and particularly the UFC) are notorious (yeah!) for underpaying talent; it's nice to see some push back.

However, McGregor just needs to get back in the cage. Another reason I've sort of went off him in recent months is all this cockteasing that's been going on with boxing and boxers. McGregor isn't a good boxer, so I have no interest seeing him getting his lumps from Pacman etc. It's a waste and it's frustrating, because if he's not doing MMA then he's just some loud cunt.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conor was a likeable rogue prior to 2016/2017. Most of his antics were fairly harmless. As alluded to, there was a certain charm to an Irish bloke calling other fighters "Hans Moleman" and "Peahead". He was always a deeply flawed individual - the nazi comment came in 2014 - but there were often signs that there was a decent bloke behind it all. It was hard not to like him after watching the RTE documentaries. 

My opinion of him diminished in the build-up to the Mayweather fight. The whole event left me feeling cold. The worst bit being the 3rd public press conference, where both men died on their arses. I am far from a prude, but their exchanges were just unpleasant to watch. Compare those exchanges to the ones Conor had with Floyd Snr backstage. Night and day. His behaviour after the Mayweather bout firmly illuminated his twattish side, and in the process, his charming side was pushed firmly into the background. There was the "faggot" comment and his behaviour at Bellator's event in the UK. 

Given the amount of gaffes he's made in recent months, it's easy to forget how great a fighter he is. His resume is exceptional and he's easily in the top 20 fighters in MMA history. While I have my reservations about his willingness to fight Khabib at this stage in his career, he once had balls of steel. He accepted a fight with NCAA Wrestler Mendes while nursing a bum knee. After knocking out the greatest featherweight in MMA history in 13 seconds, he signed up to fight lightweight kingpin Rafael dos Anjos who looked to be an absolute killer at the time. Even Dana publicly questioned that decision. After RDA pulled out, he took on the much bigger Nate Diaz at a weight that he really should not have been fighting at. After losing to Diaz, he signed up to do it all again some 4 months later at the same weight. Conor's easiest fight during that stretch was Eddie Alvarez, a legitimate top 5 lightweight who holds an incredible resume in his own right. Eddie barely got out of the starting blocks against him.

The opportunities are there for Conor to become that fighter again. We'll see what he does come September time. 

3 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Honestly, despite how I feel about him personally, I'm very much all for fighters getting the most they can from a killer career like fighting. Promoters (and particularly the UFC) are notorious (yeah!) for underpaying talent; it's nice to see some push back.

Yep, absolutely right.  It is really good to see someone not listening to Dana going "Dance for me, Conor" and making bank without damaging themselves in the long term.  

For me, McG is a bit like Del Boy. A cheeky rogue who everyone rooted for, however once he finally became a millionaire, diminishing returns kicked in and you kind of wish they'd left it alone as you reminisce about "60gees baby!"

Who is the MMA version of the Bob Holly rule?  Big Tim?  If Timmy acted and said the shit McG did, would he be given a pass? Nah.

EDIT - Does this make Aldo hitting the deck the falling through the bar?

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

My opinion of him diminished in the build-up to the Mayweather fight. The whole event left me feeling cold. The worst bit being the 3rd public press conference, where both men died on their arses. I am far from a prude, but their exchanges were just unpleasant to watch. Compare those exchanges to the ones Conor had with Floyd Snr backstage. Night and day. His behaviour after the Mayweather bout firmly illuminated his twattish side, and in the process, his charming side was pushed firmly into the background. 

i dont much stock in that really, the whole Mayweather/McGregor build up was incredibly strange. They were basically asked to become standup comedians. Some of it worked, some of it didnt, but ultimately it worked. As you said, like in the Sr. interview Conor came off very well, i still think theres a decent guy underneath it all, he's just been put into a position where hes always expected to be "on" and live the gimmick.

• Paid Members

I agree, Egg. Despite what you may think of the quality of the build, they sold a ridiculous amount of PPVs around the world for a ridiculous fight.

I thought Toronto was, for the most part, brilliant. Obviously the whole "boy" thing popped up there, but I've heard legit comedians break down Conor's performance that night and be in awe and hysterics at most of his stellar material - so much so they suspect he had help with it from a pro.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

i dont much stock in that really, the whole Mayweather/McGregor build up was incredibly strange. They were basically asked to become standup comedians. Some of it worked, some of it didnt, but ultimately it worked. As you said, like in the Sr. interview Conor came off very well, i still think theres a decent guy underneath it all, he's just been put into a position where hes always expected to be "on" and live the gimmick.

Does that gimmick include racist remarks and homophobia? 

35 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I agree, Egg. Despite what you may think of the quality of the build, they sold a ridiculous amount of PPVs around the world for a ridiculous fight.

I thought Toronto was, for the most part, brilliant. Obviously the whole "boy" thing popped up there, but I've heard legit comedians break down Conor's performance that night and be in awe and hysterics at most of his stellar material - so much so they suspect he had help with it from a pro.

I honestly think that the ease with which this was brushed aside is pretty telling, sadly. "Yeah, he called an African-American 'boy' and asked him to dance for him, but by Christ wasn't he hilarious otherwise?"

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Really? Who?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, David said:

I honestly think that the ease with which this was brushed aside is pretty telling, sadly. "Yeah, he called an African-American 'boy' and asked him to dance for him, but by Christ wasn't he hilarious otherwise?"

In fairness, it really wasn't though, David. In fact, it became a big news story in the lead up to the match, despite a lot of people involved saying Conor wasn't using it in a racial way - rather it was a clumsy bit of language. We discussed it to death on here at the time too.

If you choose not to believe them, then that's nowt to do with me.

4 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Really? Who?

Jim Norton and Bob Kelly being two (there were a few others, but I can't remember right now). They were in genuine awe of the material. 

Conor's racist though, eh?

Archived