UFC 223 is McFucked

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

If Khabib wins on Saturday, and I can't really see how he doesn't, I expect even more pissing about from McGregor. Either that or he'll come back and fight Marijuana Guy instead. I don't think he fears Khabib in the literal sense, but I just think he'd rather not have that in his life unless he absolutely has to. And while there are other options he can take, like Nate or even GSP, that would bring him more coin, I just can't see him being up for Khabib. If Holloway somehow wins, then he'll probably come back quicker and do that fight next.

I just get the feeling that Conor's waiting and waiting, hoping someone beats Khabib for him so he's out of the title picture when he comes back. It's got the feel of Sugar Ray Leonard making Marvin Hagler wait until he felt he was ripe for the picking. 

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But as David said, white people don't get to decide what is and isn't racist. White people should shut the fuck up and listen to why a minority says something is racist and learn from it. Just because Sr said it wasn't racist doesn't discount all the black voices who say it was.

Yes, but I used Snr as an example because it isn't so cut and dry (from a non-white perspective), which was my point. I wasn't trying to completely discredit every black person that was offended by it because, as discussed, I wouldn't use those words because I realise the impact they can have on the individual. My point wasn't that it isn't a racially insensitive comment, rather it's in discussion with whether Conor is a racist piece of garbage. You've got a point though, it's not really my fight, so old Whitey Bollocks will now stop.

Anyway, this is what happens when Khabib v Ferguson don't give us a scrap.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

If Khabib wins on Saturday, and I can't really see how he doesn't, I expect even more pissing about from McGregor. Either that or he'll come back and fight Marijuana Guy instead. I don't think he fears Khabib in the literal sense, but I just think he'd rather not have that in his life unless he absolutely has to. And while there are other options he can take, like Nate or even GSP, that would bring him more coin, I just can't see him being up for Khabib. If Holloway somehow wins, then he'll probably come back quicker and do that fight next.

I just get the feeling that Conor's waiting and waiting, hoping someone beats Khabib for him so he's out of the title picture when he comes back. It's got the feel of Sugar Ray Leonard making Marvin Hagler wait until he felt he was ripe for the picking. 

The funny thing being that everyone's saying 'Conor is only interested in the big money fights' but should Khabib win then surely the biggest fight out there is Conor challenging for the title in Russia? The Russians turn out for events, they could legit put that in a stadium over there.

• Paid Members

True but is it bigger, overall not just in attendance, than GSP in Toronto? Or even a rubber match with Diaz? A fight with Khabib in Russia might do a bigger crowd but does it do a bigger PPV than Diaz 3 or GSP? McGregor surely gets a bigger cut of PPV than any fighter in UFC history so you have to factor everything in. Plus, if he lost to GSP he's got the built in excuse of going up in weight. Whereas if Khabib rags him around the cage then it's a guy at his own weight doing that to him. 

Plus, is the Russia thing even sorted yet? We all talk about a fight in Russia as if it's straight forward but they still haven't gone there. What's the hold up? 

Khabibs business partner is in jail, the co-owner of Fight Night Global and co-owns with Khabib Eagles Fight Club gym in Russia, he basically got accused of building a World Cup stadium and using much cheaper materials, thus swindling money out of the state. He's also the Chechen dictator's boy, taking money off him, while Conor used a homophobic slur, he's not mates with people who actually slaughter gay people.

Khabib says he's all about legacy and Max Holloway is just fighting for the money, that's ridiculous, Khabib is taking money from actual scumbags and Max is stepping up in 6 days, he says he won't make anymore, although I'm guessing PPV points would be higher than against Ortega.

In fairness to Khabib, he is carrying himself like a star and I think this does the best numbers since GSP & Bisping. I think Max Holloway is also a far more likeable personality than Tony Ferguson he came across really well, turned the tables of some of Khabibs jabs about him not being ready for his style by pointing out he hasn't really fought his style before.

Dana said they are going to Russia very soon to Russian press, I would assume if its a big show, it will be in Zenit St Petersburg stadium as that's massive with a retractable roof. The guy who allegedly got Khabibs business partner the jail, meant to be another oil monster, paid $25 million to get Klitschko Vs Povetikin in Russia.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

True but is it bigger, overall not just in attendance, than GSP in Toronto? Or even a rubber match with Diaz? A fight with Khabib in Russia might do a bigger crowd but does it do a bigger PPV than Diaz 3 or GSP? McGregor surely gets a bigger cut of PPV than any fighter in UFC history so you have to factor everything in. Plus, if he lost to GSP he's got the built in excuse of going up in weight. Whereas if Khabib rags him around the cage then it's a guy at his own weight doing that to him. 

Plus, is the Russia thing even sorted yet? We all talk about a fight in Russia as if it's straight forward but they still haven't gone there. What's the hold up? 

No idea on PPV buys tbh, would it make that much of a difference? Russia is 6/7 hrs behind the USA so they could fight in the early afternoon & it would still be at normal time for the Americans (none of that 4am bullshit like over here). I imagine holding an event over there is a logistical minefield though. I saw a clip of a Rogan podcast on youtube which made me chuckle. He was talking about Conor fighting over there & said 'If he does go to Russia I hope he takes his own food'.

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i dont much stock in that really, the whole Mayweather/McGregor build up was incredibly strange. They were basically asked to become standup comedians. Some of it worked, some of it didnt, but ultimately it worked

You're right that it ultimately worked. It helped make McGregor and Mayweather slightly richer men, but it didn't work for me personally (brother). It can be argued that Conor was set-up to fail in some ways. As stated, the format required the fighters to become stand-up comedians - a role that neither were well-equipped for in my view. However, the press conferences did leave a sour taste in my mouth. 

I really like the Raging Bull film, but some film critics don't rate it because the lead character has few redeeming characters and is the focal point of the film. "It's 2 hours with a thoroughly unpleasant man". It was the same for me with the press conferences. Both men were just unpleasant to listen to for the most part. How many times can someone be called a "bitch" before it becomes repetitive. The good outweighed the bad in my opinion. 

I had actually forgotten about the "boy" comment. I was aware that calling a black man "boy" was dodgy, but for some reason it went over my head when McGregor said it. I must not have had my brain fully plugged in that day. A few days later, a black guy mentioned the comment to me, and said that it was pretty dodgy. He did give McGregor the benefit of the doubt to an extent. Like me, he felt that McGregor made those comments without thinking first. He should have known better, but sadly he didn't. 

Russia is 3-4 hours ahead of us, they don't change for day light savings time (well the big cities like Moscow & St Petersburg are that time and next nobody lives in the other side of the country) So the TV prelims would start at 3am and maincard at 5am if they held it at the normal US times.

If some rich guy gives them $25 million, I could maybe see them doing Khabib Vs Tony again if he's healthy, they would maybe do Conor Vs Khabib at our time, if they had a deal with Sky Box Office or even ITV Box Office as I can see him being up with Joshua just by his fight promotion and could sell a million buys in the UK & Ireland (although earning less money as PPV costs less over here) thats not in play as they have deal with BT for 2018. Anderson Vs Maia did about 500,000 North American buys at 6pm over here with BJ Penn & Frankie Edgar in Abu Dhabi but they've never been back so probably expected more US buys at time.

I've not heard of the Irish suppressing black people for 400 years, so while important in the US, I don't think Conor knows that history but I could be wrong, he also called him kid several times which I don't think is derogatory to African Americans, although I could be wrong.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, the_mole said:

I've not heard of the Irish suppressing black people for 400 years, so while important in the US, I don't think Conor knows that history but I could be wrong, he also called him kid several times which I don't think is derogatory to African Americans, although I could be wrong.

You don't think there were Irish amongst the many whites who bought and sold slaves over 400 years?

Regardless, I don't think McG was unaware of the connotations of the word. Him calling him "kid" doesn't really have any bearing on his utterance of the word "boy" either.

BTW I completely agree with you about Nurmagomedov. Guy's a shady fucker. If you have a problem with McG being an idiot homophobe and misogynist (and potential racist), you should have a problem with Khabib being good buddies with a genocidally homophobic, corrupt, mafiocrat dictator.

31 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

BTW I completely agree with you about Nurmagomedov. Guy's a shady fucker. If you have a problem with McG being an idiot homophobe and misogynist (and potential racist), you should have a problem with Khabib being good buddies with a genocidally homophobic, corrupt, mafiocrat dictator.

Is the guy you're on about Ramzan Kadyrov? 

If so, isn't he friends with and/or has paid money to the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Chris Weidman, Frank Mir, Mike Tyson, Floyd Mayweather and others?

The idea of someone like that getting any kind of attention from recognised athletes and public figures is reprehensible, of course, but I don't consider Khabib being an associate of such a guy to be comparable with someone who actually makes homophobic and racist remarks.

The only comparable situation would be Conor being a drinking buddy of Gerry Adams or something. 

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

I guess we can add Fedor to the dodgy pile, what with him being bezzies with Putin.  Combat Sports really do attract wankers.

When Putin calls asking you to meet him for a pint and a photo op you don't say no.

Archived