UFC 223 is McFucked

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Ah fuck it. All of it. Khabib might as well go and miss weight now. Everything else has gone tits up, he might as well make it even worse. 

My suspicion is that as soon as Ferguson dropped out, Khabib went and binged on a massive tiramisu. Then just as he munched down the last spoonful, Dana called and told him about Holloway and he had to quickly shuffle over to the treadmill to try and undo the damage. Now he can't get the weight off. That's Detective Wand's take. 

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Of course it is, mate. You're confusing your opinion with a bloke that has KO'd a scary bloke like Aldo in 13 seconds and fought one of the best boxers ever in a boxing match.

I can appreciate him maybe thinking another fight is maybe easier (although I think Ferguson is maybe equally or more tricky for Conor), but Conor maybe sees it as an ultimate challenge. Holloway isn't running away from Khabib. He had the choice of Khabib or Ortega and he went with Khabib. Obviously there are financial insentives there, probably, but Holloway has mentioned it's to do with legacy just as much. Holloway had that choice and went with Khabib on a weeks notice.

Maybe Conor, given the choice, wants to fight the best fighter so he can prove he's the best on the planet?

Conor has shown time and time again that legacy means fuck all unless it comes attached to a hefty paycheque. If Conor was wanting to prove himself as the best on the planet he wouldn't have spent the last 17 months sitting on the sidelines, he'd be active and defending his titles.

Now, I'm not saying that what he's doing is wrong. It's actually quite smart, as he obviously doesn't need the cash, but if he was a "legacy" kinda guy he'd be fighting in the legacy-making fights, not sitting around in his Gucci slippers Tweeting about fighting.

And let's not pretend that the "fight" with Mayweather was about anything other than money. Two smart dudes who got together and realised they could make a shitload of dough for not really doing very much.

14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It was an exhibition match in all but name, Mayweather, even at his age and time in his career didn't need to get out of 2nd gear.  But yeah, McG wouldn't duck anyone but David isn't saying that he would.

Exactly.

McG wouldn't duck anyone so long as the financial numbers make sense to him.  

14 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Yes, we've established that, but he did say given the choice he'd pick anyone else but Khabib (in fact saying no one wants it), which is pure speculation despite dear David saying it's not up for debate. As discussed, given the choice Holloway went with Khabib, so why wouldn't the champion of the division? Khabib is terrifying and brilliant, but it's exactly why some may want the fight because it's such a fucking killer challenge.

Conor walked in to the Mayweather fight thinking he'd knock him out. The mad bastard probably thinks he'll turn up and do Khabib in the 1st round.

Look, we've known for quite a while that belt or no belt, Khabib is fucking terrifying and is pretty much the main man in the division. If Conor is all about proving himself and taking on killer challenges why hasn't he made that fight happen? If he went to uncle Dana a year ago and said "make the fight with Khabib, I want him" it would have happened.

But he hasn't. Why is that?

It's not because there's been no legacy-making fights out there, is it? It's because the financials aren't right for him. He's holding off (and he can do that because he's rich, as he's mentioned a times, I think) until the UFC give him the money he wants.

His legacy is his bank balance, plain & simple. And again, fuck all wrong with that, but let's not pretend that he's sitting in his mansion chomping at the bit to get at Khabib to prove he's the best on the planet.

4 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

What is your obsession with hating on McGregor? 

I dunno really, I've just never been keen on people who display homophobic & racist behaviour I guess. It's not really the done thing in my opinion, and it's even worse when said behaviour is downplayed as "banter", "cultural misunderstandings" or "building a fight" by his (largely white & heterosexual) following.

Throw in the fact that he likes to flaunt his wealth in the faces of people who struggle to make ends meet while he brags about spending thousands on a pair of fucking shoes and it should probably be clear why I don't like the guy.

Take away his undoubted skill when it comes to punching people in the head and what you have is an arsehole of a fella with homophobic and racist tendencies. An all too familiar description for someone from this part of the world, but still. 

Very good (but not great, in my opinion) fighter, but a shitty human being.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, David said:

by his (largely white & heterosexual) following.

Judging by the way a lot of McGregor fans go on with their worship of him, I'm not convinced they're 100% heterosexual. Not that there's anything wrong with that but some of the hero worship you see from some of his fans seems to go deeper than the usual fan/fighter thing. The excusing his behaviour thing reminds me of when you're young and in a shit relationship and everyone's telling you he/she's a rotter but you're in denial and keep excusing their being a wrong'un. 

I say all this as a McGregor fan as well. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone else, I'm just as bad. I'm still a fan despite all the stupid shit he's done and said. But I'm definitely not as in love with him as I once was. The honeymoon period is well and truly over. I can see the flaws now he's moved in and leaving pubes in the sink and dirty towels on the floor. 

Nah, seriously. He's definitely not as likeable as he was. I'd still rather him in MMA than out of it, I'm sure everyone would, but he's not the same guy we all got swept up in back in 2013 (and I suppose there's a 100mil reasons for that). Maybe it's partly that the fun was in the chase. Seeing someone from Ireland (a place that had never previously produced a successful MMA fighter) who was broke and signing on climb the ladder was pretty special. Once he KO'd Aldo in 13 seconds, there wasn't really any way to top that. But his behaviour has definitely changed and I think that's the main reason some have soured on him. It might not seem so obvious because you think back and he was always gobby and loud. But there was a different feel to it when he was coming up. He was living the dream and seemed appreciative of it. But somewhere along the line it seemed to all go to his head, he decided he was untouchable and could do or say whatever he wanted. And these days he comes off as a bit of a dick. He went from calling Dustin Poirier and Cub Swanson 'Pea Head' and 'Hans Moleman' to calling Dennis Siver and Andre Fili 'Nazi' and 'Faggot'. You just can't be doing that. I get that the amount of money he's made, and so quickly, might do funny things to a person but it wouldn't make you a homophobe overnight. Sadly, it seems he's just a bit of a prick. 

All that said, I'm a fan of his as a fighter. But it's getting harder to root for him every time he chips away with another boneheaded tweet or comment. There was a time when there was pretty much nobody on the roster I'd have cheered against him. Now there's a bunch just in his own division. Oh well. 

While I'm never going to be a fan of his (for reasons stated) I do enjoy watching him fight, but this carry-on with him fucking about on the sidelines is annoying now. And that's where I don't believe he gives a flying fuck about legacy or any of that. He's wanting more money to fight again, it's that simple. 

He's fought Floyd, and because he got that money once he believes he's somehow in that earning bracket now. Same with Nate, both of them have incredibly high opinions of what they should be earning, and it's simply not going to work.

This isn't boxing, and neither of them are Floyd Mayweather.

Archived