UFC 223 is McFucked

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, dAz. It sucks, but can we really bitch too much that we're getting to see Khabib v Max Holloway at the weekend? It's some fight, that. As dAz points out, we'll see some proper history at the show, one way or t'other. All roads lead to Conor.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What the hell have I woke up to? Is this really real? Jesus Christ. I had a bad feeling when I noticed this thread had shot up 2 pages overnight. Somehow I just knew Artem Lobov hadn't pulled out. It was always going to be this fucking fight falling apart, wasn't it? :angry: 

9 hours ago, Supremo said:

I do like the idea of an eventual Holloway vs. Conor fight with all four belts on the line though. 

That sounds ace in theory but they couldn't have all the titles on the line because the fight would most likely be at 155, rendering the 145 belts not up for grabs, or vice versa. 

This is a mess. It is definitely the best possible save and one I really wouldn't have predicted. But it's so fucking shit that Khabib vs Ferguson isn't happening AGAIN!

Also, and I haven't seen this touched on yet - this ballses up Holloway vs Ortega, which was one of my most anticipated fights of the year. People might go 'well they can just push that back a few months' but it's not always that simple. Holloway might get severely fucked up by Khabib and be out a while. Then where does that leave T-City? Ortega's got to get paid. Whole thing is a shambles. 

I've got mixed feelings on it. Khabib vs Holloway is a fantastic fight. But we've lost Khabib vs Ferguson and Holloway vs Ortega to get there. Shit. 

I wonder if Holloway is fully recovered from the leg injury that had him pull out of the Edgar fight at 222? Even at 100% he's gonna find it tough against Khabib, so let's hope he's not coming in at anything less than that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

I wonder if Holloway is fully recovered from the leg injury that had him pull out of the Edgar fight at 222? Even at 100% he's gonna find it tough against Khabib, so let's hope he's not coming in at anything less than that.

He has to be, either that or hes fucking nuts. You cant take on a fighter like Khabib on a weeks notice and give up considerable size, its crazy talk. People may say Holloway has nothing to lose here but Khabib's the kind of guy who gives people beatings they might not be the same after.

Holloway is out of his mind.

• Paid Members

Didn't Ferguson keep having digs at Khabib for pulling out of fights not too long ago? Seems a bit rich now, doesn't it? I've lost track of how many times this fight has fallen apart now but I could swear Ferguson's pulled out of this fight more times than Khabib now. 

Not that I'm having a pop at Ferguson. Injuries happen, it sucks and there's no way Ferguson is scared of anyone. But maybe he should think about shutting the fuck up on fight pullouts in future because he's in no position to bash other fighters in that regard.

I don't see any real down side of this for Khabib (other than losing the fight, of course), as he's still taking on a rangy striker, but instead of a fully fledged lightweight who also has nasty ground skills it's a featherweight on less than a weeks notice with lesser ground skills.

I'd be very surprised if this fight goes any other way than a solid beating for Holloway.

5 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Just looking at stats. Khabib actually has a longer reach than Holloway & Barbosa's reach is 15cm longer than Max's!

Yeah, but Holloway "fights long", if you get what I mean? It may not look as much in the lightweight division, mind you, but in his featherweight bouts he uses the length he has very well, which can't always be said for other fighters with similar attributes.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

People may say Holloway has nothing to lose here but Khabib's the kind of guy who gives people beatings they might not be the same after.

That's my worry. Khabib's an animal at the best of times. And here we've got Holloway going up in weight, on 6 days notice, against an undefeated lightweight killer, plus the possibility that his knee isn't quite 100% on top of that. 

Also, even if Holloway was coming in off a full camp, I wouldn't give him as good a chance as I was giving Ferguson either. He's a better striker technically than Ferguson but I don't think he has as much power, and although he's got a great submission game, I don't think he offers the same kind of threat from his back (which is where he's likely to spend the bulk of this one) as Ferguson did. It's a massive uphill battle for Holloway. Fair play to him for taking it but I don't think it's a good idea for him. For the UFC, sure, it's a great idea. For Holloway himself, not so much. 

Plus, I'm gutted we're not getting Holloway vs Ortega next. I was expecting that to be announced for one of the summer PPVs any day now. Great fights are all about timing, and I don't think there could've been better timing for Holloway and Ortega to meet. They're both absolutely firing on all cylinders right now. It might be the same later in the year but who knows how Holloway comes out of the cage after Khabib's done with him? We've all seen how one bad fight can fuck with a fighter, physically and mentally. Look at Renan Barao after the Dillashaw fights for one example. Weidman hasn't been the same since Rockhold brutalised him either. And we've yet to see how Joanna Jedrzejczyk's first loss will have effected her. There are some fights that can just ruin a fighter's confidence and champion swagger for good. And while I'd never write Holloway off and he's still young enough to bounce back from most setbacks, Khabib's the kind of guy who's going to shorten your career if you're not 100% up to the challenge and prepared. And how can you be prepared in 6 days?

Everyone's rightly patting Holloway on the back and praising him for taking this fight on, but I can't help feeling those same people are going to be the ones saying it was a big mistake after the fact. 

• Paid Members

How does the money get divided up after something like this? Is Ferguson out of pocket? Will Holloway get a fat cheque?

Holloway is stepping up at a very late stage. What are his motivations for making that decision?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Fair, I know 'MMA maths' doesn't work like this but who would we say is the better striker out of Barbosa & Holloway?

Overall I'd say Holloway. He's more varied in his attacks, whereas Barboza is predominantly a kicker, and I'd say Max is slightly better defensively as well. 

But it levels out because I think Barboza is considerably more powerful in his strikes, particularly the kicks. Holloway is more of a combination striker, as you see in pretty much all his finishes, the Aldo ones probably being the best examples. 

It's all about style matchups though and against someone like Khabib, I'd actually favour a power striker like Barboza over a volume striker like Holloway. At least with a power striker, they could potentially catch Khabib coming in and hurt or even stop him. They don't need as much time on the feet to make their striking count. I just can't see this fight being on the feet long enough for Holloway to put together those flurries. There's always a chance he stuns Khabib with something and pounces on him but it's much less likely, IMO. 

Archived