UFC 223 is McFucked

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not listened or read about it but Khabib is Russian, his English is quite good but I don't know if he is up on his trash talk besides basis stuff.

Tony Ferguson is a nutter, he's beyond cringeworthy and I'm not surprised, he was hitting a bag blindfolded in a video the other day and shouting Conor & real champion while also training, he's a wacko but that's what makes him so dangerous, he doesn't seem to give a fuck and I don't even think he cares that he's moving up a level in this fight, he just thinks he'll beat everyone.

I just read the quotes, Tony is talking is usual weird stiff but I don't see anything that Khabib said that childish, he was trying to promote but wasn't saying lame insults, Tony was but like I've said he's crazy, which makes him think outside the box and that may be enough to beat Khabib.

• Paid Members

For some reason, for the last few weeks I've had it in my head that this was in late April. Just looking through the Sky EPG for next weekend and see it listed for next Saturday night!

Only 6 days to go. 

I don't normally countdown to UFC events these days. I usually have vague idea in my head of when the major events will be happening. It's only normally a few days beforehand where I make plans to watch them. However with this card, I have had it in my head for weeks that it is scheduled to happen on the night of April 7th, or "the weekend after the Joshua fight". 

I saw a few arguing on Twitter about how big this fight is going to be. I think it will be very big for the sport. You have two of the best head to head MMA lightweights ever facing off in their primes. Both are carrying serious momentum into this fight. One hasn't been beaten in over half a decade, and the other is unbeaten throughout his career. It's also a genuinely intriguing fight that fans are debating over rabidly. Could it go this way, or could it go that way? Will Khabib be able to deal with this? Can Ferguson deal with that? Etc, etc, etc. 

It won't break box-office records, but similar to the Kovalev vs Ward bout in boxing, it has the UFC's core fanbase salivating with anticipation. Let's say that tomorrow, Woodley defended his Welterweight title against RDA. That's a very good fight, and would probably attract only slightly less eyeballs than what Khabib and Ferguson will do. However, the average fan anticipation level for that fight would probably be around a 5 or 6 out of 10. The average fan anticipation level for Khabib vs Tony is around a 9 out of 10.

It's safe to say that this fight has gripped the sport's core fanbase like few have done before. You could make a case that it's the biggest fight in the history of lightweight MMA. Given that lightweight MMA has generally been great over the years, that ain't half bad. 

• Paid Members

It's also got the McGregor factor tied into the intrigue for this fight. Because everyone knows the winner of this should be who McGregor faces on his return. It mightn't be what actually ends up happening but it's what should. 

I don't know why I completely lost track of when this was. Usually I'm on it for the dates of these things, especially when it's a card I'm as into as this one. For some reason I had the 23rd in my head for this. Fuck knows why as that's a Monday. My marbles are gone. 

It says a lot about how amazing a fight Fergie vs Khabib is when nobody is talking about Rose vs Joanna 2. Or even the undercard really. This card is incredible. I genuinely think if you took the two title fights off this one you'd still have a very solid Fight Night. The top two fights push it up several notches though, into legitimate show of the year territory. 

Been I think 1 UFC show in a month when this fight happens, a little break can be good, like the older days. I assume March Madness (NCAA Annual Basketball tournament) usually does insane ratings in the States and most sports want to avoid that competition, so makes sense to have break then.

5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

nobody is talking about Rose vs Joanna 2

Aye, that crossed my mind the other day. 

I think Rose will win again. It would be foolish to dismiss Jedrzejczyk's chances. After all, she was on the verge of clearing out the division before she ran into Rose. However, I can't get over how the first fight went. Rose won so decisively that I can't see past her winning again. I might change my mind as fight week progresses. 

• Paid Members

Could be the case. The counter argument could be that because she got caught so early and just couldn't recover, that maybe we never got a true reflection of how the fight would've played out if it went longer. But then that could all have been flipped on its head anyway now because Joanna's confidence might be in bits after losing for the first time and so emphatically. It's a really interesting one. 

I'm a big fan of both but I'd like to see Joanna make it 1-1 because she's one of my favourite fighters full stop and so we get a rubber match somewhere down the road. 

Archived