What would you take from WCW?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Yeah, I don't think you could do a proper "for the next hour of this show, tune into the Network" without pissing off the TV companies, but they've done the odd exclusive match after RAW on the Network, and I'm sure there are ways of continuing angles on the Network without it just being a continuation of the TV show. Even if it's not immediately afterwards, something like "after the chaotic ending of Monday Night RAW, our cameras caught up with Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman backstage" popping up on Facebook, YouTube or the Network a day or two later.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The slightly smaller ring. Size-wise, they have a much smaller roster than they had in years past, so a smaller ring would mean your cruiserweight type wrestlers (say Finn Balor) would look a lot bigger and your Super Heavyweight wrestlers (Strowman) look even bigger. There would be an initial transitional period where they have to get everyone used to it but I think it would be of benefit to the presentation of the wrestlers on TV in the long run.

I'd bring in the concept of starting with a cruiserweight match instead of the usual 20 minute promo-a-thon. But i'd let the cruisers get out there instead, bring in some of the luchadors and let them be luchadors instead of generic WWE cruiserweights.

Nitro used to have some blistering bouts at the start of the show, even from the first edition with Pillman/Liger.  Get the crowd going from the off, entice the viewer to watch something instead of being able to tune in after 10 min just to see the main event getting set up.

And just so they can bring La Parka in and have him open Raw every single week.

• Paid Members

I always loved the open air spring break shows WCW did on the beach. Don't know what it is, but open air shows always felt, well, bigger to me...

I know WWE wouldn't be able to charge for fans to attend(which means there is 0 chance of it happening), but having one of these shows per year would be a great marketing exercise to try and get the college crowd into them again. 

• Paid Members

I really can't believe that WWE haven't already used Halloween Havoc. It's such a great name and an opportunity for them to put on an annual event with a distinct theme and atmosphere. It's a holiday that American families go mad for too, isn't it? Halloween and pro wrestling seem like such a perfect match for me, you'd think it would be a no-brainer (insert zombie joke here). At a time that WWE are knocking out over 15 'PPVs' a year, they could really do with trying to introduce as much variety as possible. It's not like WWE traditionally have anything decent in the October slot as it is.

I love a lot of the WCW PPV names and themes, but that one seems the most obvious and easiest to adopt.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I really can't believe that WWE haven't already used Halloween Havoc.

I know they have used WCW PPV names and now, with Wargames, match types but they still have that aversion to using stuff WCW did. Vince has always been a bit of a weirdo with stuff like that. 

• Paid Members

My favourite wCw PPV names were Superbrawl and WrestleWar. Was never really a fan of "Starrcade", it just felt a bit tacky. Mind you, I'm not much of a fan of "WrestleMania", if I'm honest - it feels dated.

I like how on Nitro they would draw out the entrances of wrestlers for around 30 seconds - 1 minute or so before the guys came out. This is something they especially did with nWo guys, as the camera would pan around the crowd and the announcers would hype up/talk drivel about the match to take place. Though, that's probably just me.

I also like how they did the occasional Nitro at a different setting, such as a shopping mall, hotel/beach complex or a massive Dome. I'm so fed up of Raw and Smackdown looking the same every single week...

On 10/24/2017 at 3:26 PM, Sheffbag said:

I'd bring in the concept of starting with a cruiserweight match instead of the usual 20 minute promo-a-thon. But i'd let the cruisers get out there instead, bring in some of the luchadors and let them be luchadors instead of generic WWE cruiserweights.

Nitro used to have some blistering bouts at the start of the show, even from the first edition with Pillman/Liger.  Get the crowd going from the off, entice the viewer to watch something instead of being able to tune in after 10 min just to see the main event getting set up.

A cruiserweight match wouldn't get the crowd going, nobody would give a shit. And it's mental to think that would entice more viewers to tune in than one of the big names talking.

• 2 months later...

I'd take Nitro! I miss Nitro so badly!

If you can have a Raw brand on Monday, a Smackdown brand on Tuesday, then why not give a Nitro brand to NXT on a Wednesday and have 3 brands.

Shave an hour off Raw, get a 1 hour slot on USA on Wednesday nights. Amalgamate 205 live and NXT's TV roster (as Nitro was at its best with the Cruiserweights) and maybe have a 2 hour show - first hour on the Network and 2nd hour on USA. 

Anyway, I'd love to see it - and as some earlier posts said, it could use a smaller 18ft ring and visit smaller towns. Heck, why not just rename it WCW! Yeah, just bring back WCW as brand #3 based on 205 live and NXT TV roster. What NXT does is great, but I'd love to now see a separation of the TV product and the development system as NXT is producing the best product - only to see characters ruined on the "main card" when pulled away from HHH and Regal.

Archived