What would you take from WCW?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

With WWE using Wargames for the NXT show and Starrcade as a house show name, it got me thinking about other stuff from WCW I want to see again.

#1 without a doubt is that brilliant slo-mo shot of the wrestler's entrance they'd show when someone had won a match. Always thought that was a minor but brilliant touch.

The Spring break show in the floating ring. When Raw looks the same every week, that would be ace. Who doesn't love seeing someone go in the pool.

"Halloween Havoc". Easily WCW's best PPV name.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the big roster and loads of random matches like Savage Vs La Parka etc, I liked there was loads of cruiserweights, loads of tag teams etc, big names and well built shows with the guys who could work at the start of the show and the stars on the end of the show.

• Paid Members

The triple cage, for sure. Ladder matches for the briefcase have gotten stale, let's see someone try to get the briefcase three storeys up and fight their way down through the front door. I'm definitely keeping the Russo's Revenge revision to the rules as the first was basically just a giant ladder match. Don't know if I would keep the Rumble style separate entries, but it would be great to see a Strowman type come in last and destroy cunts on all three floors.

If they really want to take from WCW, they'd do it on Raw with only two hours notice. Fuck, I miss WCW.

Anyone read the retro Raw and Nitro recaps on 411Mania?

The shows (WCW in particular) are shit to read through. And this is right in the middle of NWO at its peak. Insert Flair, Hogan or Piper rambling promo; token match that lasts longer than 4 minutes and never includes any of the top tier wrestlers; several completely random matches e.g. Alex Wright v Konnan; wrestlers you forgot existed turning up every 3 months; aborted storylines; interminable storylines that won't die (McMichael/Jarrett).

WWE sounds marginally better cos Raw usually delivers a money promo or angle involving one of HBK, Hart, Austin or Foley and usually has a watchable match or two to help carry the show.

Was WCW Saturday Night a better show from 95-97 than Nitro from a purely wrestling standpoint?

Remember watching some Stars & Stripes v Pretty Wonderful matches and being pleasantly impressed.

You would never guess Patriot would go on to main event in WWE, but on the other hand Bagwell and Roma were pretty impressive considering their reputations, and Roma oozed charisma.

• Paid Members

The slow motion entrance cam is a good shout, that accompanied by the Brain explaining each move as it happened in the replay was occasionally hilarious, sometimes he’d just make it up as he went and couldn’t stay in time with the frames.

Mean Gene conducting interviews on the ramp. A top drawer interviewer is needed so much these days. I’d be more than happy for Renee or Corey to get down there and stop wrestlers as they head back up the ramp. Caruso and Dasha don’t do it for me.

I can’t remember the last time I saw that happen as a standard on WWE tv. It doesn’t have to be after every match, but if it’s a big match or some cheating has occurred for example, get Corey/Renee out there to confront.

• Paid Members

The amazing sets. WCW often seemed to think outside the box much more than the WWE's set production, be it wrestling on an actual beach, the spring break Nitros etc. Not all of them were a home run, but at least there was some variety there. 

• Paid Members

To be fair, WWE did to a point as well. Some of the in your house and WM sets for example.

However, you are 100% correct. Most of the time they haven’t bothered. The most adventurous they ever got was by including a massive fist for the general smack down set, I mean what the fuck was that about? But at least it was something.. maybe.

The issue with the current HD sets or whatever they are is that they aren’t memorable. It’s basically just a big flat screen with some other bits, but pretty forgettable. The Raw is War set, and the original Raw neon entrance were bloody ace. Hell, I even prefer the ECW brick wall entrance compared to the bland shit we have today.

So yep, some creative set designs would be awesome. But to be fair, they need to sort the gimmicks of some of the PPVs out in order for that to happen. Halloween Havoc screams an obvious and fun design... the fuck are WWE going to do? Stick some cardboard cut outs of this daft cunt on the ramp?

CE774470-7503-4271-8849-D766EB89BA85.jpeg

Archived