What would you take from WCW?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Given how much I detest the WWE's style of presentation these days, pretty much all of it!

Especially with a three hour show, freshening up the broadcast team may be a good idea? After an hour I was glad to get rid of Larry Zbysko!

Also, most definitely the futuristic opening doors on the WCW Worldwide set. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let guys talk trash to the camera on their way to the ring, especially if that aisle is miles long. I hate the "ignore it ignore it ignore it" directive of pretending the cameras not there. I've only seen Cena regularly do this in recent years.

It's been said before, but more squash matches, sorry, "exhibition" matches against local jobbers. It was that idea of a tune-up match, where a star had a big advertised match coming up in a few weeks, and would stroll through some nobody to keep them sharp.

I would say more signs allowed at shows, but dem wans would probably take over even more than they already have. The crowds at Nitro and old RAWs always seemed fuller, like it was standing-room only because it was so packed.

More Sid.

29 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

It's been said before, but more squash matches, sorry, "exhibition" matches against local jobbers. It was that idea of a tune-up match, where a star had a big advertised match coming up in a few weeks, and would stroll through some nobody to keep them sharp.

This is the main reason for me being excited about the most recent draft. Bring jobbers in (I.e Ellsworth) to be squashed by Braun made the product look original again and I honestly thought they were going to go back to their roots of doing this again. Alas, wasn’t to be.

• Paid Members

I suppose it depends on how you look at NXT. So I’m stating the below from a kayfabe POV. 

They occasionally use jobbers on NXT when wanting to show big lads like Lars smacking several daftys around to show how hard he is, much like they have on Raw with Braun and Ryback etc.

The basic concept of NXT has always been presented as a proving ground before moving up. Many of the wrestlers on there are bloody great and are doing their best to impress for that all important call up.

So why would a no-name from the home town get a spot on Raw based on the above? Bit of a middle finger to those working hard in NXT for the opportunity. 

I love a squash match, but maybe it’s time to move away from having NXT as a stepping stone completely. I know it’s not as relevant/obvious as it used to be, but, it’s still a bit obvious.

I'd hardly see a local getting a spot solely to get squashed as a middle finger. It's the difference between a business getting a temp in for a day on something menial like data entry, and employing someone on long-term contract with salary and holiday. In TV terms, it means your NXT investments aren't tainted by visible losses before a character debut (a big chunk of fans are smart enough to spot these things). Contracted talent are also likely to be in better nick than Johnny Kickpads, whose more average look would make your featured star look even more of a big deal. It's the kind of thing that would perhaps work better on Main Event or Superstars than the main shows, but the mains currently feel like a strange paradox of bloated and wafer-thin.

• Paid Members

Yes I know, you’ve missed my point. I’m talking from a Kayfabe perspective as mentioned.

The basic concept of giving someone Raw TV time who has been plucked from local obscurity, compared to giving someone from their development camp doesn’t make sense. Give fucking Burch, Oney or even Blake the jobber squash matches. Their reps won’t be tarnished as they are basically openers on NXT, and there’s no shame in getting fucking battered by Braun. At the very least it’s more interesting to see them being used in this way, they can go back to NXT and get battered by Lars/Otis/Black etc, making them look as strong.

Personally i cant stand squash matches. Used to like them years ago but for the past 10 years when i see a squash match coming i just skip through. Like the days of Sheamus and Ryback destroying people for example, it's kinda interesting, but at the same time there's no build up, no story, no interviews, no drama, no interest. It just doesn't interest me anymore. Even for a laugh i can't enjoy it.

@big7thletter

I couldn't disagree more. There is always a place for the old school squash match. Case and point below.

Braun, wanting tougher & tougher competition sort of was his initial story. The Jobbers were even interviewed in the ring before the match. Also Braun had backstage segments with Foley etc.. in regards to said tougher competition and there was constant drama whether Foley would stand up to him and just do as the big man was telling him. This all built over months to a slow, intense and some would say interesting feud with Sami Zayn.

Bearing in mind that those squash matches for the most part were what started to make Braun look like the beast he now is and really rescued him from the Wyatt Family stink. I think it can be argued that this type of match really does still have its place in todays scene.

• Paid Members

Squash matches still have their place. The Strowman push shows it. The Umaga push in 2006 did too. They're the best way to accentuate the positives of a big, green worker without harming your roster. Then when you establish the guy, he can mow through your mid-card without hurting them. Though maybe not literally.

No-one is crying out for a show full of squashes like the early 90s but even one a week wouldn't hurt.

What else would I take from WCW, as well as a Nitro as a third brand made up of cruiserweights and NXT..........hmmmmm:

1. A TV title that is defended regularly on TV

2. The 18ft ring - better for smaller wrestlers

3. The entrance - meaning no ramp. I've always disliked the ramp for some reason that escapes me.

4. The grey metal guard rails. Those padded black things WWE uses look terrible every time a wrestler hits them. Guard rails that move add more visually.

Don't forget that an awful lot we love today came as a result of Nitro. It was very innovative for its time - live TV, grittier, better in ring action, 2 hours live on Mondays......I honestly don't think the WWE would look anything like it does today without the vision Easy E had for Monday nights.

I miss Nitro!

Seriously a third brand would work so well:

Raw on Monday, Smackdown on Tuesday and Nitro on Wednesday! C'mon Hunter!

• Paid Members

I know this is a wishful thinking kind of thread but I can't imagine that the brand Nitro would mean anything to the vast majority of WWE fans in 2017 (edit: forgot its 2018 now.) Many will be aware of what Nitro was - or at least, the WWE-approved history of what Nitro was - but aside from people like us who were watching Nitro at the time, it won't even have nostalgia value for most fans. So many wrestling fans just switched off and never came back after WCW went under, can't see them coming back because something is called Nitro. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived