What would you take from WCW?

tiger_rick

The stage sets from the ppvs like spring stampede and Halloween havoc, made a ppv seem special. Have bash at the beach on a beach. Maybe even have Hogan ride a motorbike and give back the shirt to Big Show haha

Bruce Buffer for Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rosler28 said:

The stage sets from the ppvs like spring stampede and Halloween havoc, made a ppv seem special. Have bash at the beach on a beach. Maybe even have Hogan ride a motorbike and give back the shirt to Big Show haha

Bruce Buffer for Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble.

You're thinking of Michael Buffer.

Am I the only one who hated him? I get the idea that he added to the "big time feel" of certain matches but he patently couldn't give a fuck about wrestling. He introduced Bret Hart as Bret Clark once and other times he'd just make shit up in his introductions (Nash is "known the world over as the undisputed Master of the Powerbomb" apparently.)

WWE'd be better off (and cheaper) using the Fink.

17 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

Am I the only one who hated him? I get the idea that he added to the "big time feel" of certain matches but he patently couldn't give a fuck about wrestling. He introduced Bret Hart as Bret Clark once and other times he'd just make shit up in his introductions (Nash is "known the world over as the undisputed Master of the Powerbomb" apparently.

His random mumblings during entrances did my tit in. He does something similar during the entrances to Goldberg/ DDP at Halloween Havoc and it grates on me. Both entrances are great, especially Goldbergs, and he just talks over their music and starts spewing these random facts that all seem to begin with "He is the man who....." as they make their way to the ring.

• Paid Members

In three words? Gary. Michael. Capetta. He was a great announcer. Always made the superstars seem like a big deal. Nobody could introduce Sting like he did, but everybody tried. It's probably nostalgia. Penzer was alright, but Capetta was like the Fink to me (Didn't have Sky, couldn't watch much WWF). I'd say bring in Schiavone and Jesse The Body as well, but that'd go down like a fart in a lift. They had some cool sets and some brilliant PPVs. I loved when they did Great American BAsh and Clash Of Champions the other year.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, bobby dazzler said:

The phrase "with television time remaining".

"Fans, we are out of time. We will show you what happens after we go off the air next week" None of this overrun nonsense.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Don't think that would really work in an age of social media.

It could work better in the age of social media I think. Well, maybe not for RAW. But they could do the whole, “We’re running out of time” shtick, and then direct people to other outlets (such as YouTube or Facebook or Twitter or even their own website) to see what happens after they go off the air. Surge of eyes on those outlets = more advertising dollars.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Don't think that would really work in an age of social media.

It's been the case for 20 years. Fans are conditioned to expect it now and have been for a very long time. Not really anything to do with the instant gratification age.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

It could work better in the age of social media I think. Well, maybe not for RAW. But they could do the whole, “We’re running out of time” shtick, and then direct people to other outlets (such as YouTube or Facebook or Twitter or even their own website) to see what happens after they go off the air. Surge of eyes on those outlets = more advertising dollars.

Exactly! Have a backstage brawl break out at the end of RAW, but OH NO WE'RE OUT OF TIME - tune in on RAW Talk on the Network, or on Facebook Live, or whatever we're pushing this week, to see it. Used sparingly, that's a great presentation trick and makes things feel more natural and unpredictable, rather than every match and segment just magically lasting exactly long enough to fill a three hour TV show every week.

NXT did something similar one week when they had one match go the full length of the episode - but they didn't promote it as such, they didn't tell you it was going to last the whole episode, they actually announced two other matches at the top of the show, and they had to be "cut for time", and were rescheduled for next week. It feels more real that way.

Most of what I'd take from WCW has been said already; Halloween Havoc, elaborate sets, a deeper and more varied roster and a greater variety in who gets booked against who.

• Paid Members

During one of the many discussions on here about 3 hours being too long, I have wondered about the logistics of when it comes to renewing contracts with channels, if they could drop to 2 hours and then create the 3rd hour as a network exclusive. The benefit potentially being that it might entice people to join. 

It would mean that the first 2 hours cover enough of the storylines they are pushing, but leaving enough reason to pop on to the network to see what happened. Saying that, if the first 2 hours cover enough why would we need the 3rd hour anyway, which is the general consensus as is.

It could work for particular scenarios. (Someone in the ring, hams it up, someone else’s music hits - “Folks we’re out of time, quick, head over to the network”)

EDIT: @BomberPat hit submit first.

Anyway, the nitro announcers stage and look is far better than Raw or Smackdown. I liked simple things such as the camera angles so when a wrestler entered the stage, they had a presence. 

Archived