Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

20 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

BJ Penn fighting a bouncer in Hawaii.

He's got top position for a whole minute and still couldn't fucking finish the guy. Wouldn't surprise me if he eventually gassed out before allowing the bouncer to make a big comeback and win via strikes.

• 3 weeks later...

Deary me. 

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz likes his chances in a prospective showdown with the promotion’s reigning light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. In fact, he believes he’d perform better against Jones than Daniel Cormier did.

“I think I would do a lot better against Jon Jones than Daniel Cormier, because Cormier is just a shorter guy (with) bigger legs, bigger torso,” Ortiz said recently on the Domenick Nati Show (transcript via Bloody Elbow). “He’s just a big, big guy. “Jon Jones is long and lengthy. I’m going to get in the inside and try to overpower some of the positions. “But if it would be Jon Jones, I would think I’d have a great chance against (him).” Tito Ortiz continued, assuring that with proper preparation, he could be the man to defeat the seemingly unbeatable UFC light heavyweight champion.

“Yup, I think I could. If I have a camp like I did the last one of 18 weeks, 100 percent,” he said. “There really hasn’t been anybody to fight Jon Jones, to get in his face, and stay in his face. Everybody else, they want to strike on the outside with him. He’s too damn long, you cannot do that. You got to get in the inside of him. That’s the way to fight him. “As a coach and as a fighter, that’s the way to beat him,” he continued. “Someone should be aggressive enough to keep the fight, pushing him around. Make him feel uncomfortable.”

Now, if Sonnen or even McGregor made these statements we would know they were trolling. But I can actually believe that Tito is really this delusional. Bless him. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Plus, he's ignored the fact that DC in their first fight was actually doing everything he says he'd do - he got right into the pocket, hitting Jones with body shots and close hits, which were having some effect. Still didn't work though, ultimately.

Not sure what Ortiz would do; with his advancing years, "Sniper's Dream" head, and the fact that the sport left him behind a long time ago in terms of style and technique, the only entertainment I can envision from such a match would be if he went Full Tito in the promotional build-up, and then gets smashed in the first few seconds.

• Paid Members

A while back Tito spoke about knowing he could no longer compete with the top fighters in the sport...knocks out a decrepid Chuck Liddell and now he thinks he can take out The GOAT? confidence is a wonderful thing.

• Paid Members

Tito's picking his spots properly this past while. He's 4-1 in his last five. He's about to go 5-1 as well, as I'd be expecting him to beat Del Rio. Tito can do this shit for another year or 18 months if he keeps picking his opponents the way that he has been. 

Del Rio, Belfort, Wanderlei, Akiyama, Rashad Evans, and Little Nog are all somewhat possible fights that are out there, with some name value, that I could see him winning. He's just as likely to get carried away and end up talking himself into a fight against Ryan Bader and getting demolished, but if he wants to do that, then I'd watch it anyway. I wouldn't pay for it, but I'd watch it!

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Tito's picking his spots properly this past while. He's 4-1 in his last five. He's about to go 5-1 as well, as I'd be expecting him to beat Del Rio. Tito can do this shit for another year or 18 months if he keeps picking his opponents the way that he has been. 

Del Rio, Belfort, Wanderlei, Akiyama, Rashad Evans, and Little Nog are all somewhat possible fights that are out there, with some name value, that I could see him winning. He's just as likely to get carried away and end up talking himself into a fight against Ryan Bader and getting demolished, but if he wants to do that, then I'd watch it anyway. I wouldn't pay for it, but I'd watch it!

I always love it when there's an MMA equivalent of a "paper heel", i.e. a guy who's clearly not that good, and everybody knows will get destroyed by real top-flight competition, nevertheless continuing to scrape win after win against carefully-selected opposition, getting a completely-undeserved title shot in which he ends up getting obliterated. Even better when the guy can talk. Partly because MMA fans are basically the new marks now, and it's so easy to piss them off into blood-vomiting rage.

They should just keep booking Tito against guys who are completely shot or close to it. Rematches against Machida and Belfort would be good. Maybe one against Fedor.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Del Rio, Belfort, Wanderlei, Akiyama, Rashad Evans, and Little Nog are all somewhat possible fights that are out there, with some name value, that I could see him winning.

I really doubt a Rashad fight ever happens. 1) Rashad is retired. Obviously, we take all MMA retirements with a pinch of salt (don’t we, Urijah?) but Rashad is one that I really think will stick. 2) Even if he came out of retirement he’d probably still owe the UFC some fights so couldn’t fight Tito from a legal standpoint. And 3) If he was coming out of retirement I doubt he’d be arsed about covering old ground with Tito as he beat him with ease last time they fought. Similar with Little Nog actually. I could see the other fights you mentioned potentially happening though. But I can’t say I’d be into any of them. 

27 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I always love it when there's an MMA equivalent of a "paper heel", i.e. a guy who's clearly not that good, and everybody knows will get destroyed by real top-flight competition, nevertheless continuing to scrape win after win against carefully-selected opposition, getting a completely-undeserved title shot in which he ends up getting obliterated. Even better when the guy can talk.

Tito can talk? 

Rematches against Machida and Belfort would be good.

They probably wouldn’t, you know. Bar very fleeting moments in each, both the first fights were pretty cack. And that’s when they were all in or pretty close to their primes. 

Just give him the shot at Jones, I say. And then we’ll never have to see or hear from the bulbous headed wally again. 

Edited by wandshogun09