Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

This is all purely to pad Loureda’s record and build her up. They tried to give her a girl who was 0-0 as a pro and 0-12 as an amateur for her Bellator debut for fuck’s sake. 0-12. The commission didn’t allow it and they had to find Loureda a different opponent. I’d like to see Hooters girl get the win just to cock plans up. There’s something oddly satisfying about that. Like when Pico got sparked. 

• Paid Members

Yeah not saying that but the hype on him was a bit ridiculous in comparison to what he’d actually proven in the cage. He looked good but people were banging on like he was a future world champ before his pro debut. Many chickens were counted before they hatched. It’s what made it so sweet when he got decked last time, just as Rogan was pimping him as the future GOAT and saying he “looked like a world champion boxer” and all that carry on. 

Loureda isn’t the same thing. She’s not being proclaimed the future champ and unlike Pico she is being protected. Which is fair enough given her inexperience in MMA. But trying to give her an opponent that’s 0-12 and then some girl out of Hooters is taking the piss. And from looking at some of her tweets you’d think she was the female Lomachenko or something, beating champions in her first fights. It makes me want to see the hype train derailed. 

Completely different to say a Johnny Walker. That’s a hype train I can buy a ticket for. He came in with no hype, the company wasn’t making plans to make him a star or give him soft opponents or whatever. The buzz around him is buzz that he’s 100% created and earned himself. And he seems a top man with it. It won’t have a happy ending because there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Just Jon Jones. But I find it a lot easier to root for a prospect like that than a Pico or Loureda type who seem sort of forced and in some cases get special treatment. I get why the company would be behind them, but Pico always felt overhyped to me, and him seeming like a cocky fuck added to it. I can see Loureda going the same way. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I don't think Pico was overhyped when he debuted. He came into MMA with one heck of a pedigree in amateur wrestling. He also had some experience in boxing and pankration. It did seem, and perhaps still seems, that he had unlimited potential. 

Part of the issue with Pico is that he wants to fight like Chuck Liddell and use his wrestling to keep the fight standing. This would be fine, but he's still relatively inexperienced in MMA striking, and his ego means that he sometimes doesn't show his opponents the proper respect and thus gets clipped. Eddie Bravo tried to send him in a different direction early on in his career, and attempted to mould him into a Khabib-like fighter. This would have been a safer approach for Pico, and he'd probably still have his undefeated record had he implemented it. But Pico was adamant that he follow the Liddell blueprint. He's recently moved to Jackson's camp. If he can leave his ego at the door and listen to the coaches there, as GSP and Jones did, then he could still evolve into something very special. 

I also think he's a victim of Rogan/Schaub's hyperbole. They often can't be relied upon to show some decorum when discussing certain fighters. It's thus easy for people to crow when they get it wrong, and somewhat dismiss the party that they have overhyped. It's a shame with Rogan. I don't particularly like him, but he is very knowledgeable and is capable of talking sense. Schaub is just an irritating buffoon. 

• Paid Members

Yeh i dont hold the Pico thing against Bellator. When someone comes in with such high credentials i dont blame the promotion for hyping a guy, its no different to boxing putting gold medallists in big spots on their pro debuts. The UFC should actually do a better job of promoting new fighters by using their credentials as a tool, loads of guys sneak in the backdoor with incredible backgrounds and outside of a small number of hardcore fans you'd never know about it.

Pico is great though, certain people may see him as a bust and he has attempted to be an MMA Lomachenko of sorts which has backfired but hes must see in the cage, win or lose.

...a self made hype train like Johnny Walkers is sweet as well though, in the UFC you almost have to create your own given the current climate and it isnt an easy thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

early UFC vet. Pat Smith has died aged 55.

https://m.sherdog.com/news/articles/Patrick-Smith-19632019-157007

Smith was probably the one fighter i remember from the first 2 UFC's that delivered what you expected when you picked up the VHS tape, proper nasty fighter. Also apparent that he was a piece of shit out of it.

Old MMA images dont come much more iconic than this though:

20190621074901_GettyImages291090.JPG

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

No way. Genuinely, only this week my 12 year old nephew was watching some UFC Top Knockouts highlight thing on YouTube and was pissing himself at the Keith Hackney vs Emanuel Yarbrough madness from UFC 3. So I fired up my Fight Pass and showed him some Tank Abbott fights, John Hess vs Andy Anderson from UFC 5 and one of the other ones we watched was Pat Smith vs Rudyard Moncayo from UFC 6, purely for this...

C83BCA88-C9C6-4F4D-A8B2-E6B466392272.gif

I knew he was a bastard and a dodgy character outside the cage but had no idea about the sexual assault charges against a 14 year old. Fucking hell.

Not going to bother with a RIP for this cunt after reading that, obviously. 

• Paid Members

Luke Thomas has put the MMA Hour/The MMA Beat to bed. Sounds like he's scaling back his workload but has some new projects in the pipeline. Sad ti see it go, i imagine numbers are down since Ariel and alot of the MMA Fighting team has left but I still enjoyed the show, Thomas has really grown on me as a personality.