Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Tito can talk? 

Not in the classic pro-wrestling sense, but in that he seems to know how to really annoy people. Probably because he's annoying.

2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

They probably wouldn’t, you know. Bar very fleeting moments in each, both the first fights were pretty cack. And that’s when they were all in or pretty close to their primes. 

Just give him the shot at Jones, I say. And then we’ll never have to see or hear from the bulbous headed wally again. 

I don't mean "good" as in to watch, I mean "good" as in to piss enough people off just so they'd pay to watch him get Ian Bealed by Jones.

• Paid Members

Got t admit it’s one of very few fights that would temporarily turn Jones babyface for me. Mir and Rockhold are probably the only other two fighters who’d be capable of making me cheer for Jon Claude Van Picogram. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Got t admit it’s one of very few fights that would temporarily turn Jones babyface for me. Mir and Rockhold are probably the only other two fighters who’d be capable of making me cheer for Jon Claude Van Picogram. 

Greg Hardy in addition to those.

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting this in early. Horiguchi is fighting for Rizin on August 18th. His opponent is 7-1 and recently avenged his only loss. 

I haven't been following Rizin. I have, however, heard that they have the old Pride magic in terms of presentation. They put on one hell of a show for the live crowd. I probably won't watch the entirety of their August 18th show, but I will be finding a way to watch Horiguchi's fight. He's the toast of the MMA community at the moment. Jordan Breen ranks him in the top 10 P4P.  Masvidal and many others claim he is the best fighter at ATT (that's impressive given that ATT houses Covington, Woodley, Poirier, Amanda Nunes, and many other gifted fighters). 

Here is hoping that he comes through later in the month and Coker can get him on a Bellator show early next year.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Rizin has become a bit of a victim of MMA overload for me. Id love to watch it more and like you said, thecpresentation great. They've slowly built their own roster though that has a very 'Rizin' feel too it, they havent really relied on too many outside stars and i think thats what scuppers my interest a little. I need to get on board with their guys.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, same. And I think the fact they don’t get that much attention on MMA sites and the fact the events don’t get aired over here means they get lost in the shuffle.

Same with ONE actually. Both Mighty Mouse and Eddie Alvarez are fighting again tomorrow yet nobody is talking about it. I think there’s just that much Boxing, UFC and Bellator at the moment that everything else kind of goes unnoticed. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/08/ufc-244-derrick-lewis-vs-blagoy-ivanov-heavyweight?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

The Black Beast has his next fight set, and it's a good fight to try and rebound in. Ivanov is a tough customer and is a hard night's work for anybody, but I don't think he has the overall quality of a DC, Stipe, Cain, JDS, Overeem or even Volkov. He's durable as fuck though and his chin might last longer than Lewis' gas tank. 

Christ alive.

I hope Coker, or the guys from ONE chuck wads of cash at Cyborg for her to smash through a load of cans. She's a fighter I've grown on massively since signing with the UFC, and not just in terms of the exposure of how good a fighter she is. She's done nothing but impress me on a personal level, and her calling out of Dana and Rogan was completely justified. 

• Paid Members

It felt like it was always coming. Since Cyborg’s fight last weekend, there hasn’t been a day that’s gone by where this wasn’t a talking point. And it wasn’t a good look for Dana at all. Especially when there were videos put out from Saturday night showing Cyborg asking Dana to his face why he was saying she was ducking Nunes and Dana trying to weasel his way out of it. I’ve seen people jumping to Dana/UFC’s defence and going ‘but Cyborg’s team cut the video and some of the conversation short, they misrepresented Dana’. Dana doesn’t get any sympathy from me when it comes to media misrepresentation. He’s done it to a bunch of fighters when he doesn’t get his own way and he did it to Cyborg here, trying to say she was running from Nunes and damage her image. He’s salty because he got caught on camera but fuck him. Hopefully she gets a good deal somewhere else. I’m sure she will. 

Haven’t watched this myself yet but Dana’s done a sitdown interview where he addresses the Cyborg release and other things. 

I’ll watch it in a bit but I did read that he tries to say his comments about Cyborg ‘looking like Wanderlei Silva in a dress’ were taken out of context. That old one. Already seen some MMA media rightly calling bollocks on that. 

BDAAF39A-FC38-4508-9ED7-08CF06C7D0D7.jpeg

It's a shame Cyborg and Gabi Garcia are so tight.

Can you imagine RIZIN's New Year show headlined by those two?

Sadly it seems this is the best we're going to get on the front of that duo:

On a more serious note, I really do hope Cyborg lands on her feet very comfortably after this. She's genuinely emerged as a good egg after her run in the UFC, especially in the classy way she handled her defeat to Nunes (cough Dillashaw cough). That and the bold way she's not let Dana completely shit all over her. That's probably what I'll remember most from her run with the UFC, despite how talented she's looked.

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members

Despite Dana being a cock, Cyborg’s come out of this whole thing more popular than she ever was before she signed with the UFC. If you think back, before she came into the UFC she was pretty much seen as the ‘heel’ by a lot of fans due to her history with the drug test failure years ago and, rightly or wrongly (I’d say wrongly now) the backlash she got over the whole weight cutting mess. Now I’d say more people like her than they ever did. And it’s not solely down to the Dana thing. Bit by bit, I think she’s won a lot of people over. I wasn’t a huge fan myself years ago. If the Ronda fight had happened back when it was a hot topic I’d have been fully on Team Ronda. If Ronda was still winning and on top now and the fight actually happened, I’m not so sure. I might actually root for Cyborg. And I was a huge Ronda fan back in the day. The more I’ve seen from both personalities though, they’ve kind of done a double turn for me. 

Whatever happens, I think Cyborg will do just fine. Even if she makes the same or slightly less money than her UFC deal, I’m sure she’ll be happier away from that environment. And she might do better financially anyway. She mentioned herself that she wasn’t making mega money in the UFC so maybe Bellator can match or better that number. ONE have money to play with as well. And without the UFC restrictions, she might be able to fight more often and have a bit more freedom to fight in different organisations or take a Boxing or Kickboxing fight here or there. She’s talked about wanting to do a Boxing match a few times. Then you factor in the sponsors, she won’t be hamstrung by that Reebok deal now so maybe that works out better for her. I’m sure she won’t be short of promoters getting in touch now. She’s an exciting fighter anyway and all this stuff has surely just given her profile a boost. In a weird way, even though she got knocked out by Nunes not long ago and she’s just got released from the biggest MMA company in the world...her stock is actually probably higher than ever now due to all this drama. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

That wouldn’t have helped matters. Thing is, they didn’t even need to edit it to make Dana look bad. Him being put on the spot and asked ‘why were you lying?’ while he stands there quietly trying to play it down would’ve been enough to prove the point. Everyone knows he was full of shit about Cyborg ducking Nunes anyway so this video being edited, while silly, makes no difference to the overall point. The more that comes out about this the more I think Team Cyborg got to the point this week where they wanted the release.