Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Although Gall is abit of a name in his own right now, its quite sad to see Condit down fighting at that level. He feels like a bit of an MMA forgotten man, he should getting the full on "future hall of famer" shine when he fights.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

He hasn’t been the same since the Lawler fight really, has he? He hasn’t won since and some of the guys he’s lost to like Chiesa and Oliveira, while good fighters, are the kind of guys I’d have expected Condit to beat at his best. Physically, I think the Lawler fight probably took time off his career and it also wasn’t long after that he started flirting with retirement in interviews and stuff. Wasn’t there some coffee venture he was looking to get into? Gall is decent but if Condit loses to him now I don’t really see where he goes from there. 

Condit has had one foot out of the door for a while. In recent years he made mention of the damage his body has suffered over his career, the possibility that his time in the sport has past, and has even prepared for a career after MMA (he opened a coffee shop in 2017). I'm not sure why he's coming back really. Perhaps he misses it all, perhaps he needs a bit more cash, perhaps he wants to end his career on a high. Who knows? 

Nevertheless, if I had to see him fight again once more, I wouldn't mind seeing him rematch Nick Diaz. But I suspect he will lose to Gall, and subsequently call it a day for good. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

That’s amazing. Diego is out there and eccentric but he’s a good guy and his heart’s in the right place. Really warms the heart stuff like that. A moment that guy will remember for the rest of his life.  

It’s actually from 2017 but I’d never seen it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• 1 month later...

I don't think Open GPs work in this day and age. The MMA talent pool is too deep for size not to be a factor.

The only way it would work at the highest level was if they somehow created a field with the best heavies (Miocic, Ngannou, DC, JDS), the best light-heavies (Jones, Gusty, Bader), and threw in a token middleweight who wouldn't be completely dwarfed by some of the field (Romero).

Miocic would probably still win such a tournament. But the light-heavyweights would at least be competitive with the heavyweights most of the time.