Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

"Minor news".

I have a lot of sympathy for Cyborg for the way she's been treated by a lot of the UFC's most influential figures - whether that be Dana being Dana or Joe Rogan being a piece of shit. There definitely seems to be an agenda against her from the moment she stepped into the organisation. Part of me wonders how much of that is down to all those influential figures very much being on team Rousey.

However, you can't be posting videos like Cyborg posted and not expect some shit. Egg rightly points out they were probably looking for a reason, but chopping a conversation up to make your boss look bad is proper dumb. Dana is a terrible person, but I don't think he's in the wrong for letting Cyborg go after pulling that one. I assume Cyborg released her apology because she had lawyers knocking on her door.

Shame because Nunes v Cyborg 2 is such a compelling fight; one of the few compelling fights in the women's divisions.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, Egg Shen said:

Rizin has become a bit of a victim of MMA overload for me. Id love to watch it more and like you said, thecpresentation great. They've slowly built their own roster though that has a very 'Rizin' feel too it, they havent really relied on too many outside stars and i think thats what scuppers my interest a little. I need to get on board with their guys.

I've been watching videos from this Youtube Channel the past few days in an attempt to familiarise myself with Rizin's roster. The videos have English commentary, which helps a great deal - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rizin+fight+club

I'm going to give their next event a go. They only do 6-8 events per year, so it shouldn't be too taxing to follow. Horiguchi was the hook that got me interested. Horiguchi, Asakura and Tenshin seem to be their biggest stars. 

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Same. The mad thing is, the only reason she said she wanted to sign with them again was for the Nunes rematch. The very thing Dana said she was running from. 

Yeah, but Dana's more a parody of himself these days than Chael Sonnen. 

• Paid Members

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/8/5/20755029/corey-anderson-vs-johnny-walker-in-works-for-ufc-244

If the UFC are planning on booking this fight, are we expecting they are keeping Jones clear for a fight against the Cormier/Miocic winner? Or does it mean Dominick Reyes is getting the shot and not Anderson? Maybe Chris Weidman is fighting Reyes though? I don't know where that came from but it's in my head for some reason. If that's the case then it's superfight territory being targeted for Jones next. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Weidman is fighting Reyes in October. 

I saw the rumblings of Walker vs Anderson a few weeks back. If that happens then I don’t know what happens with Jones next. It almost has to be the DC fight, regardless of what happens with DC vs Stipe 2. The only other option would’ve been Jones vs Santos 2 but Santos just had surgery on both knees so he’ll be out a while. 

DC and Jones want to fight one another again at Light Heavyweight. Dana wants them to fight at Heavyweight. 

I think the result of Miocic vs DC 2 in a few weeks may determine how things work out. A shot at becoming a 2-weight champion, and an extra wad of cash, may coax Jones into stepping up to heavyweight. 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, Weidman is fighting Reyes in October. 

I saw the rumblings of Walker vs Anderson a few weeks back. If that happens then I don’t know what happens with Jones next. It almost has to be the DC fight, regardless of what happens with DC vs Stipe 2. The only other option would’ve been Jones vs Santos 2 but Santos just had surgery on both knees so he’ll be out a while. 

Walker/Anderson has been confirmed for 244.

• Paid Members

didnt know whether to keep this boxing or MMA but Ryan Ford (former Bellator, WSOF) fighter is fighting Joshua Buatsi on the Campbell/Lomachenko card on August 31st Ford is 16-4 as a boxer.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Recent Nick Diaz interview where, as usual, nothing of note is really said. 

The state of it. Is it just me or does he look rough as bollocks here? Looks haggard and, while he’s not fat or anything, he looks probably the most out of shape I’ve ever seen him. I’ve always thought that you never know with Nick regarding returns and stuff but looking at him here, and listening to how non-committal he is with his answers, I don’t think he’s ever fighting again. Especially now, as all the big name fights that he’s been holding out for are pretty much dead and buried. Anderson’s probably done soon. GSP’s done and, even if he was coaxed back, it’d be for something like Khabib. Georges specifically shot down any chance of a second fight with Nick just recently, saying he has little to gain from it. Bisping is retired. There’s McGregor but who knows with that mess? Plus McGregor has a whole list of potential opponents at 155 that make more sense than a random fight with Nick at 170. I just can’t see him ever coming back. 

While I’m here, I can’t stand that Elie Sekbach nob doing the interview. He’s been getting interviews with all the big names in boxing for years but he’s fucking awful. His voice and tone goes through me and some of the shit he comes out with is dopey as fuck. Like saying to Nick here ‘I wanna see you box. You and Canelo?’ Something like that. Is he actually trying to get Nick killed? 

Edited by wandshogun09

Aye, Nick is starting to show his age a bit. 

Elsewhere, Shane Carwin isn't the biggest fan of Helwani:

"I hate to agree with Luke but I agree. My steroid scandal was pretty simple to explain but due to the "climate in sports" I was told I could not address it. We pleaded with Zuffa, my manager had even said we would address it. When it was going down our team was on the, we should be clear and direct about this or it taints us. Zuffa shut that down. We were told to not talk about it. Which was hard because it was big news. The people at Zuffa said they have it under control.

Fast forward to my fight week and of course everything was as they said. Even the big outlets did not ask me about it, until Ariel. As Luke knows and said we were all told the same thing, this is just off limits. If it was an interview we set up it was discussed in advance. If it was an interview set up via the UFC or a UFC PR event it was discussed. So here I am at one of those events and Ariel thinks little of me to ask a question he knew I could not answer. This accomplished two things 1 - He comes off appearing to be a "journalist" asking the hard questions. His boss gets the views that pay his salary. 2 - He knows I can't answer it so he gets to embarrass me. He denies either of those suggestions and said he was doing his job.

Yet if you watch him spoon feed Dana the questions Dana gave him on the purchase of Strikeforce it was completely devoid of any hard questions. Was that because there were none to ask or that when it can negatively impact his bottom line he toes the line but he thought nothing of trashing my name. Ne never went on record to clear the issue, that I passed all my UFC drug test or even did any investigating into the story that included MLB ball players? So post BALCO MLB let players get away with steroids and so did the UFC is the narrative he let stand. He 100% will give a softball question if he needs the person in his line up. He is also a very smart guy so he is aware of who is and is not going to be something, because he is one of the go to people for UFC Marketing. As evident by the Strikeforce Exclusive."

For context, Luke Thomas was critical of how Helwani interviewed McGregor last week. Thomas thought Ariel could have given Conor a tougher time.

Here is the interview that Carwin is referenced (skip to 1:45 for the steroid question)

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Looks like Anthony Johnson is planning a UFC return. His manager Ali Abdelaziz has said Rumble’s going to re-enter the USADA testing pool soon, with the plan being a comeback around March 2020. 

MMA retirements, like pro wrestling ones, very rarely last do they? Let’s have Ngannou vs Rumble at heavyweight. 

Edited by wandshogun09