Top Twitter

Gus Mears

• Moderators

Whilst technically impressive, stuff like that leaves me cold. I find myself here sounding like my art teachers whom I hated, when I all I cared about was technique but really what's the point in paintings like this?

To be fair though, I might feel very different if I experienced a painting like this in real life.

• Paid Members

If there's no original photo it's incredible, if it's literally a recreation of a photo it's just like advanced colouring to me. My idea of hell in art is a photorealistic painting of Walter white or something, you see that shit all the time.

I could never do that in a million years though, it definitely requires skill. It's just not my bag, I'm illustrator but pretty much the opposite of that kind of stuff.

• Paid Members

The 'fun' with art is in the interpretation. I don't think there's any bickering to be had with a photorealistic painting other than what filters may be used with a digital equivalent. It's also far more difficult to have the subject (if a person) have input akin to "me, but I'm a bit thinner and have a younger, tighter face"

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I feel similarly, it's emotionally cold but I I'm still staggered by the technical skill. I would like to see one up close to really see the detail. 

That pretty much sums me up too. I feel similarly about guitar solos; extremely impressive but I don't really 'feel' it unless I'm watching the guitarist play it in person. They don't really do anything for me when it's just the audio.