General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real strange move yo allow him to leave now instead of the summer after taking a stand in the last window. I'm hoping they've got his replacement lined up. If we end up with Lemar and a top goalie (I'm preying those Oblak rumours are true) with the money brought in I think I can live with it. 

• Paid Members

Yep- Mark Hughes has been sacked now. Good, horrible bitter prick. He deserved it just for his arrogance alone over the past couple of weeks. 'Who else is gonna do it?' Anyone but you it seems. Ta-da.

• Paid Members

The Seville derby was an absolute belter tonight. Betis managed to score both in the first 20 seconds of the match and then with the last kick of the game. It finished 5-3 to Betis. The frequent end-to-end nature of the match and a red hot crowd along with no lack of technical skill made this one a great Saturday night's watch. Did anyone else tune in?

Sure beat Norwich-Chelsea anyway, which I'd just watched prior. 

Went to Dulwich Hamlet vs Folkestone yesterday. Have been meaning to go for ages to be honest, and a friend that I haven't seen in ages lives in Camberwell and goes quite regularly, so it was a welcome surprise.

How to find the ground? Easy, come out of Denmark Hill station and follow everyone with a beard, wearing tiny rolled up beanie hats, army style jackets, skinny jeans and Nike SB's (nb, I own all of these things and I am aware this covers the whole of London). The ground entrance itself is located literally in a car wash, and after a little queue I was in (ÂŁ11 entrance). What I was surprised about was the amount of children, families and dogs (stroked a puppy Akita :)

Just a really nice demographic mix, and the fact that you can go and buy drinks and have them whilst you watch is obviously quite an alien concept to those of us who watch top flight football predominantly (last time I went to non league was Kingstonian few years back and I can't remember whether you can drink on terraces. Pretty sure you could). You can have a fag as well if you want.

The 'ultras' gather behind the goals and have some pretty decent flags and bounce going on throughout. If there is any indication of what this club stands for and is all about, the pictures of Paul Robeson, Karl Marx, Corbyn, the anti racism and anti homophobia signs and banners tells you everything. Everyone from the community welcome, and think they even offer concession for people that find themselves unemployed.

Drinks on offer? Pints of the usual stuff and the Hop House 13 lager, plus cans of the hipsterish beers and ciders (sorry, not great with names. Sessions? Neck Oil?). Only bought cans, and was ÂŁ13 for 3 beers and a cider. Grass fed, organic raised beef burgers ÂŁ4. Stand selling WSC, other fanzines, books there as well.

Football was...OK. Obviously no one is playing out from the back at this level, and the ball spent a fair amount of time in the sky, but once it was in the final third, there was some nice movement and trickery. Dulwich won 4-3 in front of a crowd of 2000. Their players must love playing at home in front of this crowd as they really do get behind their team and are pretty loud. It was more of a community event feel than a football match, with lots of people choosing to chat/hang out with their friends or family and keep an eye on the match. That's perfectly fine, and I have no problem with that, as everyone is entitled to do what they want once they pay their money.

So yeah, a refreshing change and stark contrast to Spurs-West Ham on Thursday which I went to and paid stupid money for in a stadium I fucking hate.

Easy to get to from most places. 4 stops to Denmark Hill from Clapham, then a 10 minute ish walk to ground, although there are buses. Recommended visit.

• Paid Members

Should have said you wanted to go to the West Ham game, Bacon. You could have had my ticket since I still can't get to games. 

Might have to check out Dulwich Hamlet. My girlfriend is originally from Dulwich so I've got a connection. 

5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I went to a Dulwich Hamlet game a couple of years ago. Took forever to get a drink at the bar, and the game was piss. There definitely wasn't anything special about it. 

That's interesting as it only took me 5 minutes both times I went to get a drink and it was a fairly hefty crowd.

@SpursRiot2012 all good buddy, they'd already been bought ages ago as a birthday present. The game was OK, despite the obvious.

Quite interesting that the West Ham fans got let out fairly early and it got a bit shitty down Wembley Way with them 'trying' to start something.

• Awards Moderator

Liverpool’s week keeps getting better: after Coutinho getting off and Flanagan assaulting his girlfriend, Nathaniel Clyne has been bubbled taking drugs at a party (some balloon thing, I don’t know, I’m 86). The photo knocking about isn’t the clearest but it’s supposedly been confirmed as him and that he wasn’t preparing anything for a kids’ party. The daft bastard is likely to be booted out of the club.

Archived