General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Who's Zidane going to be managing? Because it certainly won't be Madrid.

I picked up September's World Soccer a couple of days ago to recycle and the headline is HOW ZIDANE QUIETLY BECAME THE BEST COACH IN THE WORLD. It just made me chuckle at the immediacy of football. Similarly, driving back from a non-league game a few weeks ago we had a discussion on the SUPER MANAGER tag. We eventually came to the concencus that the best of the bunch is Ancelotti. Next day, Bayern sacked him.

Wonderful week for the English clubs in the CL. Makes me weep at what Poch could do as England manager when you see the likes of Kane, Alli, Sterling, Dier, Trippier and Stones playing at this level.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
22 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Wonderful week for the English clubs in the CL. Makes me weep at what Poch could do as England manager when you see the likes of Kane, Alli, Sterling, Dier, Trippier and Stones playing at this level.

He already started good work for the England team 15 years ago, helping them progress to the knockout stages of the 2002 World Cup.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Gus Mears said:

Oh, for sure,  we'll get through. I'm just not doing the batusi in joy as we turn in a performance of glittering ineptitude on the way to losing 3-0. 

I'm the only person in the world who has cancelled Sky and BT Sports and doesn't have a kodi box or something so I've only seen the ITV highlights. Looked like you had a couple of good chances at key points, the Pedro one early on and the one Morata blazed over. Can't judge the whole performance.

• Paid Members

First half we were OK and let down by finishing. Second half we were really poor. Most worrying thing was the total lack of communication within the defence, this can be partly mitigated by the rotation in the back-line, but that in of itself is a worry with the need to change players this year. 

• Paid Members

Fun little retro article. The 50 most exciting teeneagers on the planet - from 2007. Amazingly, one of them played for Hearts.

Some names who've gone on to be a big deal such as Benzema, Kroos, Aguero, Sanchez, Ozil, Di Maria, Mata, Bale. Some you've probably never heard of. i certainly haven't!

DNieZucXUAAjBh4.jpg large.jpg

• Paid Members

Nice one @tiger_rick, I've deliberately kept a copy of a FourFourTwo issue from 2010 (I think, or even 2009) with a feature of the 20 best players under 20. Absolutely fascinating to read looking back. You had the likes of Wilshere, Neymar, Lucas Moura in there as well as Lacina Traore, who has been quite the disappointment. Balotelli was their top pick to become world class.

• Paid Members

Is it weird that I've been enjoying the Europa League quite a bit this year? As an Arsenal fan It feels like a bit of a throwback, playing against more unfamiliar teams across Europe and not playing the same teams as always only to end up getting knocked out by one of the same three teams after the group stage. It's been great seeing some young players get the opportunity to get some minutes playing at a decently high level, like Nketiah and Nelson, and we've had some pretty exciting games. 

I'm not suggesting I want to be in this competition every year, but if we can force ourselves back into Top 4 contention (or win the Europa League) and be in the Champions League next year, this will have been a really refreshing and oddly enjoyable break season for me.  

9 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I read today that English teams have already won more Champions League games this season than they did last year.

• Paid Members

I feel like people who think Poch would leave for a team like Real at the first opportunity don't know him very well or have never listened to him speak. I don't doubt he would entertain the idea of going at some point, but he is very much invested in the project at Tottenham. Honestly, if anybody is interested, read that book that came out last week. It gives you real insight into how Poch thinks and demonstrates why I think he won't be going anywhere for a long time yet. 

Archived