ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m fascinated by the idea that they couldn’t say, “Cheeky Nandos,” and had to change it to, “Cheeky Fernandos.” Is that really a legal thing? Could Nandos sue?

Well, you can go for a "Cheeky Fernandos"! (It's in Reading apparently: https://fernandosperiperi.co.uk/

fernandos.jpg

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m fascinated by the idea that they couldn’t say, “Cheeky Nandos,” and had to change it to, “Cheeky Fernandos.” Is that really a legal thing? Could Nandos sue?

Could it be keeping with the ITV brand what with Fernandos being where the dates are in Take Me Out?

There is a take away near me called Frandos, and another called Sandos.  Knock off fast food names are fucking brilliant.  Might have a Freaky Frandos tonight now!

• Paid Members

Why have they changed Cyanide's name? Val would have been better as a backstage interviewer with Bennett and Alex Shane on commentary. That kid Grado put the hat on looked like he hated it That was a nasty botch at the end of that first match. Bit of Chaos/Suzuki Gun action Ospreay and Harry was a heck of a match. Shame Alex Shane told us it would only be 10 minutes long before it had even started. Some of that camera work was terrible.Will there be a "legit" babyface team that makes it through to wrestle Sabian & Rees in the tag tournament final? If only Trav were still with us so it could have been Project Ego. Would be nice if it was The Models. Rampage will be good as a heel champion, but I can't help but think this is going to be overshadowed by Grado & Bennett rehashing Austin/McMahon for the rest of the series. It was some solid wrestling, but it also looked like it'll need some time to find its own identity, but it'll hopefully improve over time. Looks like there could be some interesting matches next week as well.

Well, it wasn't great, but it wasn't dreadful, and it was definitely an improvement on the pilot.

Echo the thoughts on camerawork. NJPW is the blueprint they need. Keep it simple. It was relentless. With the sound doing the same (was the crowd noise really that constant live?), it was all a bit monotonous.

Alex Shane clearly can sell himself better than actual products. I've no idea how Mavis has managed to wangle himself such a high profile gig. Val barely registered. No doubt the majority was scripted, but, TV experience talking or not, Bennett had some cracking calls. His line about everyone booing and yelling at Rampage but all being too scared to get in the ring with him was a great little line, just the kind of realism a show like this needs to stave off the usual criticisms from non-fans.

Speaking of which, there was WAY too much daylight in ring, too much telegraphing that could/should have been covered by editing (or better work), and a lot of the talent still seem uneasy working to cameras.

HOWEVER, despite all that, I still felt more positive about this than I did at the start. The roster is solid, and the presentation is fine.

• Paid Members

Just watched 10 minutes, watching the rest later.  Alex Shane is looking more and more like Ming the Mercyless every time we see him, and he’s still shit.  They are doing the bouncy camera thing when someone does a move, which is shit.  Steve Lynsky, a lump of shit.  Not looking good up to now.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Well, it wasn't great, but it wasn't dreadful, and it was definitely an improvement on the pilot.

Echo the thoughts on camerawork. NJPW is the blueprint they need. Keep it simple. It was relentless. With the sound doing the same (was the crowd noise really that constant live?), it was all a bit monotonous.

Alex Shane clearly can sell himself better than actual products. I've no idea how Mavis has managed to wangle himself such a high profile gig. Val barely registered. No doubt the majority was scripted, but, TV experience talking or not, Bennett had some cracking calls. His line about everyone booing and yelling at Rampage but all being too scared to get in the ring with him was a great little line, just the kind of realism a show like this needs to stave off the usual criticisms from non-fans.

Speaking of which, there was WAY too much daylight in ring, too much telegraphing that could/should have been covered by editing (or better work), and a lot of the talent still seem uneasy working to cameras.

HOWEVER, despite all that, I still felt more positive about this than I did at the start. The roster is solid, and the presentation is fine.

That roll backwards into the ankle lock by Hendry was [retty rough looking because of that; I think some of the matches were a little hampered by the format/time constraints as well.

If they're blazing through a 4 man ladder match next week in 12 minutes it could get a bit messy.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Pathetic earthlings... who can save you now?

Alex_Shane_WOS.jpg

FLASH! KING OF THE IMPOSSIBLE!

wpid-fb_img_1423083191184.jpg?w=816&h=99

Constructive comment 

Fucking Awful.

The world of sport brand is dead. It came off tv in the mid eighties for a reason. The whole nostalgia feel is gone, not even a nod to the old stars (WWE using Johnny Saint was a good example). The gladiator style crowd, who got in for free, summer up the seaside vibe (it was those pikeys The Knights backyard I guess). I was half expected Gary Glitter to turn up and get the crowd to sing ‘you wanna be in my gang’

• Paid Members

I assume the Nandos thing is that people might [wrongly] assume it was product placement, which has to be declared and highlighted.

Pretty much everyone on Facebook group for the old era British wrestling is slating it as expected, but I'm amused by all the complaints about how it's a disgrace and they shouldn't call this World of Sport. I don't have the heart to point out that, well, they haven't.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, machinegunn said:

Constructive comment 

Fucking Awful.

The world of sport brand is dead. It came off tv in the mid eighties for a reason. The whole nostalgia feel is gone, not even a nod to the old stars (WWE using Johnny Saint was a good example). The gladiator style crowd, who got in for free, summer up the seaside vibe (it was those pikeys The Knights backyard I guess). I was half expected Gary Glitter to turn up and get the crowd to sing ‘you wanna be in my gang’

But how did you really feel about it?

I didn't really enjoy it. Saying that, it was pretty much what I expected. It's a bit to Wrestling Society X for me, not with the booking but the contrived set-up.

Hope it works out but got a feeling WWE fans will see it as a shitty alternative and old World Of Sport fans will think it's a joke. I like the look of Bulldog, I've obviously seen him in WWE but in WOS he has more star power.

I'll probably still watch it though as it's wrestling and I'm at least slightly intrigued to see where it goes.

I think as a piece of television produced for a mass audience, it wasn't bad. Would personally have started with Ospreay vs. British Bulldog Jr. then transitioned into the opening angle - as has been mentioned, first impressions are important and that became confusing very quickly, although I suspect the prime objective was to get over Stu Bennett as a recognisable star on the show - but it was engaging and generally enjoyable. I'll be interested to see how well it's received going forward, fingers crossed it becomes a regular fixture in Saturday night viewing. 

1 hour ago, machinegunn said:

Constructive comment 

Fucking Awful.

People who went were told to wear bright clothing with no logos.  My wife had to go out in the morning to buy me some new clothes especially!  Then I note itv tonight pan in on a guy with a guns n roses t-shirt.

On a side note, the taping I went to (final two shows - worth watching the end by the way!) the crowd were recorded before the show shouting out 'one fall'. I noted tonight that when the chant went out none of the crowds mouths were moving!

Archived