205 Live

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Murphy vs. Alexander in two weeks. Hope Murphy wins, but I'd assume we're getting Cedric vs. Gulak for the title before that.

Of the new UK guys, Kenny Williams seemed quite good but I wasn't sure what to make of Flash Morgan Webster. Came across very nervous and stumbly in his backstage bit and didn't have a fantastic look in the ring compared to his team-mates. 

Also, Vic the commentator perpetrated my current least favourite buzz-phrase when talking about Tyler Bate and TJP.

"These two know each other so well".

They've had one fucking match, Vic! They can fuck off if they're going to use that phrase every fucking time people wrestle each other more than once.

• Paid Members

I need to catch up on the last couple of shows but does Vic keep mentioning Showtime whenever he's conversing with Percy Watson? Does he have to keep mentioning that every single time?!

Edited by Fatty Facesitter
Should clarify I know Showtime is Watson's nickname, but still

• Paid Members

The thing is, hardly anyone that watches remembers his stint as 'Showtime' Percy Watson and those that do surely don't give a shit.

There's nothing 'showtime' about his dull, spare wheel announcing and the nickname isn't synonymous with him as 'The Body' was with Ventura, nor is it a gimmick that he is/can continue with like Jerry 'The King', so what's the point?

The 205 main event was great (again) this week. I know Itami has very little momentum behind him but he’s still knocking out some cracking matches.

The dead crowds are still a problem and one that probably won’t improve anytime soon. Best case scenario is that 205 is absorbed into a 3 hour smack down but I don’t see them going for that.

• Awards Moderator

They’ve stopped doing cruiserweight matches on Raw now, haven’t they? Very little chance of anyone getting over with a wider audience if they’re only ever in their own little 205 world (because they’re never making the card of a joint brand PPV either).

• Paid Members

I only caught the highlights yesterday on a laptop with dodgy speakers but it seemed like the crowd were getting quite invested in Itami/Tozowa? 

Their match got me thinking an interesting direction for the brand to go in would be to make a real emphasis on signing more foreign talent, specifically Japan, where the junior heavyweight/cruiserweight style is much more popular. The likes of the Lucha Dragons and some of the American workers, while talented, just don't have much of an aura about them. Whereas if you built up the arrival of some of the foreign imports coming in and bring more of a genuine international flavour to the show it could really work wonders. I think one of the issues is that because you've previously presented the likes of Kalisto as jobbers on the main roster it's harder to get invested in them in this scenario. 

• 2 weeks later...

He was also the absolute fucking shits. For a 4 minute match he seemed to have zero clue what he was actually doing out there. 205 live is irritating the crap out of me again, when it's in a tournament format it's tremendous, but aside from the title scene they literally have no idea what to do with the other 40 minutes of time so you get all these luchadors in some faction that I couldn't give less of a shit about.

Edited by Ambulance Chaser

• Paid Members

Highlights of the show this week were Gran Metallik’s ‘face only’ mask, which looked fab, and Lince Dorado trying to cover up his arse crack with his hand while Gulak was pulling the tights.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 3:49 PM, Philjax said:

Just when you think you've seen it all, Buddy and Ali raise the bar of innovation yet again. Superstars. These two would get 5 stars getting out of the car.

Just watched this and it was superb. The fact this is stuck on 205 live when Ali's underdog selling is probably only second in the company to Gargano is incredible. 

Edited by Wrasslin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Yet ANOTHER cracking main event on 205 this week. I really wish they could do something about the dead crowds, these lads deserve so much better.

The crowds are always making noise and reacting by the end of the matches, but it’s a shame that they’ve basically got to win the audience over from scratch every single week.

Really enjoyed the four way, it was nice to have a match like that which wasn’t just “two roll out of the ring, have a standard singles match then swap”. I think Gulak could beat Cedric when they meet.