Irrational Obsessions

Gus Mears

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Election coverage. I've watch people discussing the counting of votes for any old shit. Not sure I'd class it as irrational, but it's not something I could easily explain. It began well before I had a clue about politics too, the 92 General Election. Perhaps it had something to do with staying up late and my parents letting me, or perhaps it was the simple pleasure of watching numbers come in, people attaching meaning to them and producing charts about them on the hoof. Shout out to my boy Anthony King, who never seems to do them anymore, probably because he's fucking ancient now. I'm not a fan of those cunty Jeremy Vine CGI pieces though. They're obviously designed to be so shit that they're entertaining, but give me a simple pie chart and a uncomfortable spokesman trying to explain why his party have shat on the toilet floor over that any day. Luckily they seem to have phased those out. 

I'm not a royalist and generally couldn't give a flying fuck about the royal family but I am strangely drawn to Queen Elizabeth 1st. I've got loads of books about her, I've gone on certain tours of London to see her history, I enjoy watching documentaries and films about her. I have no idea where the fascination comes from.

• Paid Members

A thread for discussing things that you love and why you love them, despite all know logic telling you they are shit/uncool.

I'm probably not explaining this particularly well, but as an example I have a stonking rod-on for Richard Nixon, he of Watergate fame. I ended up doing a degree in politics solely because I happened to pick up a biography of Nixon when I was 16 and ended up being fascinated. I must own about 20 books on him/his administration.

I've always had a passing interest in Watergate but never got into the meat & bones of it. Can you recommend a beginner's guide/pop-history type book on the subject to get me going?

Archived