Irrational Obsessions

Gus Mears

Brian Clough for me. He never managed my club and retired when I was 3 but I devour every book, article, interview, film or piece of footage I can find about him or the sides he managed.

A slightly more off-piste one would be my love for Max Headroom. He was a minor pop culture icon before I was even alive but I randomly ended up on his Wikipedia once when I was at uni and spent a whole afternoon watching clips of him on YouTube and thought he was fantastic. The look, the post-apocalyptic sci-fi stuff, the pre-Jim Carrey zaniness and the fact he was the face of the ill-fated New Coke all fascinated me then and still do now. When I got massively excited at his brief return for those digital switchover adverts I think my mates thought I was clinically insane.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bully fails.

Strange as fuck I know, but I went for a good month looking at big bully dickheads getting sorted out by smaller geek underdogs. No idea why but I think it followed on from watching a couple of those traveller call out/fight videos, but that's all I watched on YouTube. Feel a bit dirty about it now.

Geek documentaries

Anything from skating and retro games, to stuff about yo-yo and magic competitions. A lot of it I have no actual interest in, but I'm fascinated by people whose lives are fully dedicated to pointless shite, in order to be the best.

Watching videos about how to make things out of wood, whilst knowing fine well I don't have any wood and don't plan on getting any. Cretin.

• Paid Members

A thread for discussing things that you love and why you love them, despite all know logic telling you they are shit/uncool.

I'm probably not explaining this particularly well, but as an example I have a stonking rod-on for Richard Nixon, he of Watergate fame. I ended up doing a degree in politics solely because I happened to pick up a biography of Nixon when I was 16 and ended up being fascinated. I must own about 20 books on him/his administration.

I've always had a passing interest in Watergate but never got into the meat & bones of it. Can you recommend a beginner's guide/pop-history type book on the subject to get me going?

From one Chilly to another, there is a 3 part series about Watergate on YouTube that's quite simple in it's explanation of the background leading to and during the scandal.

• Paid Members

This is me in a nutshell. With the Aspergers/Autistic Spectrum/Anxiety I spend a lot of time at a laptop just learning the most irrelevant things. I've been told I'd be a quiz genius if it wasn't for the fact my knowledge is even useless for that at times.

Current one is foreign talent shows, I've watched every season of the Australian Voice in the past few weeks that I've been able too through YouTube videos etc, finding out what they're all up too now. Always watch America's Got Talent at real time too.

Most irrational one I've ever had was the country Lichtenstein, Brendan from Coach Trip told the show that it had the same melody for its anthem as God Save The Queen, ended up reading 4 or 5 books on the country. I don't even think the people of Lichtenstein care about the country that much.

Apart from the obvious really uncool hobby (rasslin), my aspergers-spectrum mind will obsess over anything I allow it to. I can talk to you for hours about grime MCs and producers from the 00s, the UK garage scene, house music lads, techno guys, junglist massive, love hip hop, love punk, love soul, love vocal jazz. I can chat tunes of all sorts from the 1910s up to today. Music is cool and everything but not to the levels I take it to.

I used to be quite into my footy stats, but then lads started tryin to have conversations with me at the pub so I pretty much packed it in there and then.

I also spent a hungover Sunday morning spending about 6 hours researching child-murderers (murderers who were children at the time of the crime/s), endlessly fascinating topic I thought, but really fucking uncool especially once you factor in my skipped shower that morning

Also anything reliable I can learn about The DPR of Korea I appreciate. Fascinating place

And one more I crafted as a kid was knowing about 50-75% of the nation's flags, well, a decade ago anyway. I reckon the world cup was on, and I picked up an atlas or some shit

Brian Clough for me. He never managed my club and retired when I was 3 but I devour every book, article, interview, film or piece of footage I can find about him or the sides he managed.

I've had that one too, and my club is Notts County, so really I should be hacking phlegm at the sight of his name

Bully fails.

Strange as fuck I know, but I went for a good month looking at big bully dickheads getting sorted out by smaller geek underdogs. No idea why but I think it followed on from watching a couple of those traveller call out/fight videos, but that's all I watched on YouTube. Feel a bit dirty about it now.

Oh and I do this too but watching pissed racists get done in instead. I get a little too into them, racists = great heels

• Moderators

Charles Manson. I spent years working on a novel about him, so was researching/writing/thinking about him every day forever. I got sick of it at the time, but now, the slightest mention of him sends me straight back down the rabbithole, reading, watching videos and so on. It's rare I can make it through a whole conversation without finding some connection and having to bring it up. I'm a right bore.

I've been absolutely mad on the West Memphis Three case since I watched the documentaries last year. I've spend hundreds of quiet work hours researching bits and bobs about the case to the point where I know more or less every aspect of the case, yet I'm still looking at the same things over and over again expecting to learn something new.

Mind you, the other day I did find a recording of a call supposedly received by the West Memphis Police Department the evening the murders took place saying "I just killed three kids, what're you gonna do about it?" which is never mentioned, so I suppose it's not a total waste of time.

Brian Clough for me. He never managed my club and retired when I was 3 but I devour every book, article, interview, film or piece of footage I can find about him or the sides he managed

Yep, same. I put it down to a combination of my Grandads influence and him just being fascinating. Best book in him? For me it's Providing you don't kiss me. Always thought it such a shame the friendship between him and Peter Taylor ended the way it did.

My old company spent our CSR day in Nottingham a few years back and I spent the whole day hunting down the statue instead of raising money...didn't go down well!!!

• Paid Members

The reason I can never truly hate Nixon.

Glad I'm not the only fan of Slicky Dicky, the wheelin' dealin', doctors note stealin', son of a nun (Quaker).

I raise you this, which was my ring tone at one point.

Archived