Sign in to follow this  
ColinBollocks

The "Jon Jones gone screwed up again" thread

Coke is banned if it's in your system while fighting, same with other drugs and alcohol. It's not banned in the run up to a fight, he shouldn't be taking that shit anyway because everybody knows it's cut to fuck, they put anything from creatine to rat poison in it and any cheap upper that might make it seem stronger.

Looks like Jones will be defending his title against Anthony Smith next.

What? Did you click on this thread expecting to read that the GOAT had fucked up again? Sorry about that 😉

From MMA Junkie...

All signs point toward Jon Jones vs. Anthony Smith being the next UFC light heavyweight championship fight.

After winning back the UFC belt with a third-round TKO of Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 232 this past weekend, Jones (23-1 MMA, 17-1 UFC) has said his desire is to keep very active in 2019, with plans for three octagon appearances against any challenger deemed worthy of facing him.

With Daniel Cormier’s potentially never returning to the weight class, Smith (31-13 MMA, 7-3 UFC) has a strong argument for being the top contender after rattling off wins over Volkan Oezdemir, Mauricio Rua and Rashad Evans. His post-UFC 232 exchange with Jones has only seemed to help his case, too.

“Bones” appears to on board with the matchup, and in recent days has dropped multiple signs that Smith will be next. Smith told TMZ Sports on Thursday that his team is already in negotiations to fight Jones this year, it’s just a matter of finalizing a date and location for the next 205-pound title bout.

“It sounds like he’s in,” Smith said. “Of course, has already been talking to the UFC and I think that they’re working that out and seeing what that looks like as far as timelines and stuff, but I’m in.”

Jones is one of arguably greatest fighter to ever compete in MMA, and although he’s rarely been tested inside the octagon, “Lionheart” believes he has the tools to threaten the pound-for-pound great.

“I’m not afraid of him and I think that Jon has a lot of people beat before they even get in there,” Smith said. “I think people look at Jon like he’s an uphill battle and this unreachable task and I don’t see him like that. I’m not wowed by him. I see a man that I can beat and a person with holes, like any other human, that can be exploited.”

16 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Yeah. You suck David! Why did I fall for it!?

Because they all do in the end, my friend.

They all do in the end 😉

Quite like the Smith fight. Jones has said he wants to stay active so a Smith fight early this year makes sense because there's not many other options at the moment. 

Smith fight is ok. Truth is there are very few proper fights against good names at LHW. DC running through the division a couple of times proper hurts it for Jones, but Jones has admitted he just needs the fights to make up for all the millions he's lost over the last few years.

Is Rockhold still going to fight at LHW?

Edited by ColinBollocks

he says he is, if he can come in and win one or two fights that's a potential opponent for Jones, especially given the Cormier tie.

Jones vs AKA could be a cracking storyline to play out through 2019. If he gets past Smith (which he should manage with little trouble) then you’ve got the Rockhold fight on the cards, and then a potential super fight with Cain.

My four-year-old nephew is called Anthony Smith, and frankly I wouldn't put it past the California commission.

There's a few new contenders that have emerged while Jones has been on the naughty step. I'd quite like to see Thiago Santos to get a crack too - you could argue he has a better case for the shot that Smith. 

Santos is pencilled in to fight Blachowicz come February, so I can see Smith getting the title shot if Jones is being serious about wanting to remain more active. Then you'll probably see the winner of Santos/Blachowicz get the next crack barring anyone below those guys coming out with a seriously noteworthy performance (Reyes, Walker, Anderson).

10 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

There's a few new contenders that have emerged while Jones has been on the naughty step. I'd quite like to see Thiago Santos to get a crack too - you could argue he has a better case for the shot that Smith. 

Agreed. Especially seeing as Santos beat and finished Smith less than a year ago.