SCG's 2016 Draft - What do you WANT to see?

Liam O'Rourke

So, I know there is a draft thread elsewhere, but for this week's podcast, we're going to be attempting to put together the 2016 WWE Draft and look at potential future directions, wanted to ask some specific questions to see what you guys wanted to see from it (rather than what you think they will do). In particular:

*Who do you bring up from NXT or in from the outside, and how do you see them fitting into the mix early on?

*How would you try to make the shows different?

*What feuds/pairings would you want to come of this?

As always the best contributions will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly. So what do you want to see?

EDIT - Our show tackling the 2016 WWE Draft and Beyond, featuring many of your contributions, is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/5b49v4/SCG_Radio_89_-_Booking_the_2016_WWE_Draft.mp3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just whatever you do don't try and make it Raw VERSUS Smackdown. Them horrific Team Blue and Team Red T-Shirts back in the day, we all know this is one guy's vision, it's under the same umbrella, competition within is fine behind the scenes but do not insult anybody's intelligence by trying to play them off against each other.

Other than that, bring Joe up.

the only time Raw Vs Smackdown was any good, was the initial days of "new person is set to debut/which brand will sign them first" type stuff, not the actual brand vs brand matches/PPV's as they were shite

• Paid Members

Them horrific Team Blue and Team Red T-Shirts back in the day

Heh, Bragging Rights and Survivor Series had some horrible reason. I hated the fact that you'd get heels and faces, who may have been feuding with each other at the time, teaming up for the cause of a brand. Like they were pulling on the Three Lions jersey or something.

If they are going to bring people up from NXT, which they almost certainly are, I’d like to see them arrive in a manner other than simply being drafted. Whether that’s the General Managers competing to sign certain “stand out” wrestlers (I think this would be a great way to bring Nakamura in) or NXT wrestlers getting a try-out on Raw or Smackdown to win a contract with that particular brand by beating (or impressing against) one of the current roster members.

The main thing I want to see is both shows having a different identity. There's no chance they'll produce Smackdown differently but the a pair of new sets, new ring ropes, distinct announce teams and a division which is exclusive to the show such as women one one and some of this cruiserweight lot going on the other will bring in a new appeal rather than a rematch from Raw crossing over on to Smackdown.

I couldn't tell you what I want to see, but I can tell you what I don't want to see. I don't want to see Shane and Stephanie becoming the centrepiece of each show and feuding over every little thing, whilst the talent are subservient to them.

I also don't want to see the supplementary draft like in previous years - because this basically means that anyone who isn't drafted on the show proper, isn't worth a wank. Whoever gets announced on wwe.com may as well head out of the nearest fire door.

I want to see Kurt Angle somewhere. Christ knows how or in what capacity but he must return and get the Sting treatment.

• Paid Members

One of my favourite things in the NFL draft is when someone slides in draft getting drafted way later than expected and watching there glum face as they get drafted late. WWE doing a version of this would be great, the ultimate failed drug test punishment for Roman could be getting drafted after Viktor

• Paid Members

I don't want NXT to be plucked to death because of this. I enjoy what it offers and want to see most of the current talent develop for a couple more months first.

However, I do think it's time to bring up a couple of people.

Firstly, I'd call up Joe.

Secondly, I'd call up Finn.

I'd have these two, along with AJ, Cena, Shield members and other hot commodities, be left until the end.

I'd run the draft like an election campaign, keep it going for 1 month and 1 month only with the pay off for title/championship decisions being at summerslam.

Until that point, I'd announce lower and mid card guys each week. (whilst staying clear of Shane vs Steph).

Don't split teams up for the sake of it (unless they plan to pull the trigger on bubba).

Then that's it, 100% separate brands. Much like how NXT is too Raw and Smackdown now.

As an offshoot, I'd get rid of pointless main event style tv shows, change raw and SD to 2 hours and have another clear out.

Me I'd have a jobber tournament around the draft with the loser getting sent to next, keeps the draft interesting, but would certainly give the chance for the undercard to shine, whilst the big players concentrate on where they are going to .. Drama suspense and backstory as well :)

*Who do you bring up from NXT or in from the outside, and how do you see them fitting into the mix early on? 

I would bring in Nakamura to go on a winning streak. Get him built up as a huge deal.

*How would you try to make the shows different? They need different 'feels' completely. Smackdown needs to be what RAW should be and isn't... a gritty product that feels unique and different. Revamp the brand completely, a different set and different lay out. 

*What feuds/pairings would you want to come of this? I would probably have Nakamura and Styles headlining Smackdown with Owens and Reigns. Leave the big matches to WrestleMania (why they wasted Styles vs Cena at MITB instead of WM I don't really know, same as what they will undoubtedly do with Nakamura.) 

Me I'd have a jobber tournament around the draft with the loser getting sent to next, keeps the draft interesting, but would certainly give the chance for the undercard to shine, whilst the big players concentrate on where they are going to .. Drama suspense and backstory as well :)

Primark would be a better punishment.

I'd like to see one brand have a much more international feel, maybe Smackdown as there's less time for so many talkie segments and just keep the stories simple with characters from all over the shop. Will make it a great sell to other markets too if they have someone from thier nation competing most weeks.

If they insist on an authority angle then have Regal and Tajiri as the guys doing the work for Shane/Steph. Have Nakamura brought up and give him the IC title which will be pushed to the fucking moon, like Cenas US run but also given main event slots.

What I want from the Draft:

1 world champion, working across both shows. I don't want a world champ on each show, it just cheapens being the world champion.

Tag team champions also working across both shows; there's enough depth to the roster at the moment for one really strong division, I don't want two weaker ones.

IC title to be defended on Raw only, US title to be defended on Smackdown only.

Women to be on raw with the extra hour, a new title on Smackdown (cruiserweight is the obvious one, but I'd rather go for something a bit different - have a 'Newcomers title', which can only be won by people in their first two years on the main roster. Gives the likes of Apollo Crews and others something to go for from the start, rather than matches with Dolph and R-Truth.

PPVs for the most part to remain dual branded, and definitely not one per show every month, that's overkill. I would, however, give each show 1 brand-specific PPV each year, the May and October ones.

The writing teams to be split, not into shows, but into titles as well. so have one team responsible for the main event scene, another doing the tag division, and so on, and then a smaller team to fill the rest of the shows. It will hopefully mean that more matches on TV actually mean something, and the likes of Titus, Baron Corbin and so on get some creative attention.

Who I want brought back:

Shelton (I still love him), MVP (definitely has something to offer), Rey, Morrison, Carlito. Damien Sandow too.

who I'd call up from NXT:

American Alpha are the obvious ones straight away. Aries and Joe. Balor and Nakamura I wouldn't call up straight away, I'd want them to have a bigger impact that just a couple of call-ups for a brand extension.

To make them different, I'd bring back the Smackdown fist titantron from back in the day, and change the colour from blue for Smackdown to something new. Something as simple as changing it to green could be enough to show it as a visual reboot, so I'd go with that.

I want to see Kurt Angle somewhere. Christ knows how or in what capacity but he must return and get the Sting treatment.

Hopefully without the spine injury though, because I'm fairly certain that would put him in a wheelchair.

I'd echo the sentiments about a different identity.  They seemed to do that quite well in 2002 and 2003 until Smackdown distinctively became the B show.  I don't think they'll bring out a new set because of HD etc., but small touches like that would be a massive help.

One World Champion too.  Two World Champions is just daft.

Archived