SCG's 2016 Draft - What do you WANT to see?

Liam O'Rourke

I think the idea of a Smackdown Six would be great again, I was thinking possibly Nakamura, Cesaro, Zayn, Owens, AJ and Balor. However I think AJ and Balor may be better suited to Raw with something brewing with The Club storyline, so maybe add Itami, Samoa Joe, Neville or Rollins instead of them. If it wasn't for The Club though, I reckon that Smackdown Six would be incredible but Rollins, Neville, Joe or Itami instead of Balor and AJ has all the potential to be just as good.

So, as far as NXT talents being brought up, I've already named Nakamura, Balor, Joe and Itami but I reckon Asuka and Bayley should be brought up at some point as well. My only worry is that I wouldn't want to bring so many up that NXT are left with no big names for their main event but I guess that's what NXT is about, it's to showcase the future of WWE so I'm sure there will be new names to replace them.

As for making the shows different I must say I loved the characteristics the brands had when Raw was viewed as the show with big, hard hitting storylines and Smackdown was the one with the incredible technical and athletic skill of the original Smackdown Six. However, I would still do this but emphasise that the wrestling is the most important aspect of both shows because to say one was better at showcasing wrestling than the other would be making one show, and its roster, look superior to the other. I'd still have both wrestling and storylines as an important factor on each show but I'd make Raw's storylines a bit edgier than Smackdown's and have Smackdown known more for its Smackdown Six.

As for teams I think keeping The Club together on Raw would be important and have Balor drafted to Raw but not tease anything until it happens in the early stages of post-draft Raw. I'd keep New Day together and stick them on Smackdown along with Enzo and Big Cass while the Wyatts go to Raw (possible Wyatt vs Club rivalry).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With NXT being quite well known, it would be interesting if they did like 8 or 10 guys/girls/tag teams (all as one pick) and they both get say 5 picks each, it's not exactly like the NCAA but it's quite close, so the North American audience won't be confused.

If they are only having one world title, I would have it at Survivor Series, then they can reboot and start building your Mania main event and Rumble winner

With most of the rest, I would have a few interpromotional regular Survivor Series matches and a Women's and tag team title matches.

Don't duplicate everything.

We don't need two Elimination Chamber matches in one night.

We don't need two MITB ladder matches, two cases, two cash-ins.

I think this is exactly what they are going to do. Two world champions, two sets of tag champions, they've already got two mid-card titles.

They won't want to distinguish them too much to the point where some people much prefer one show to the other (i.e. one is "storyline" heavy whilst the other is "wrestling" heavy) because they want everyone watching everything. Personally, I'd be more inclined to watch them both if they were different and distinct but I don't see it happening.

I can see a storyline in the not too distant future, during a "Raw vs Smackdown" PPV, Bragging Rights or Survivor Series, where we will see an NXT invasion, forcing Raw and Smackdown to unite against the "upstart brand".

As far as doubling up on events, matches, tournaments, championships etc go I'd say I am with the majority here, I'd hate to see two of everything for the sake of it.

I'd prefer one World Heavyweight Champion, one Women's Champion, one set of Tag Team Champions. Then on Raw I'd have the Intercontinental Championship and bring back the Hardcore Title solely for Raw and I'd have the US Title on Smackdown along with the newly reinstated Cruiserweight Title. Whoever the Champion(s) lose to they end up on that roster, taking the place left by the new Champion.

As for tournaments, The Royal Rumble will have 15 wrestlers from each roster, King of the Ring will have 4 wrestlers from each roster, Money in the Bank will have 4 wrestlers from each roster and the winner of each of these gets a shot at the Champion whenever they want, so technically a Money in the Bank briefcase holder could be from Raw and surprise the Champion on Smackdown or on a Smackdown only PPV.

I would have Raw only and Smackdown only PPVs with the exception of Royal Rumble, King of the Ring, Money in the Bank, WrestleMania, Summerslam and Survivor Series. Survivor Series would be the only event where there is one match between a Raw team and a Smackdown team, War Games, Raw vs Smackdown main event with the winning team getting a tournament for the 30th spot in the Rumble. Ie. If Raw wins they will have a tournament between the wrestlers involved in the match with the winner of the tournament getting the 30th spot in the Rumble.

January: Royal Rumble (Both - Royal Rumble match main event)

February: St Valentine's Day Massacre (Raw only)

March: Vengeance (Smackdown only)

April: Wrestlemania (Both - Title match is main event)

May: Unforgiven (Raw only)

June: Money in the Bank (Both - Money in the Bank ladder match is co-main event, Title match is main event)

July: No Mercy (Smackdown only)

August: Summerslam (Both - Title match is main event)

September: King of the Ring (Both - King if the Ring final is co-main event, Title match is main event)

October: Halloween Havoc (Raw only)

November: Survivor Series (Both - War Games match is main event, winning team (Raw or Smackdown) wins tournament for 30th spot in Rumble match)

December: Armageddon (Smackdown only)

Then, as far as talent is concerned this would be my rough, quickly done roster:

Raw: Cena, AJ (and the Club), Balor, Ambrose, Bray (and the Wyatts), Jericho, Ziggler, Kane, Reigns, Orton, Sheamus, Rusev (and Lana), Ryback, The Miz (and Maryse) Baron Corbin, Big Show, Bo Dallas, Darren Young, Fandango, Golddust, Swagger, R-Truth, Mark Henry, Dudleys, Primo & Epico, the Ascension, Becky Lynch, Emma, Eva Marie, Naomi, Nikki Bella, Paige, Tamina.

Smackdown: Lesnar (and Heyman), Nakamura, Cesaro, Zayn, Owens, Itami, Samoa Joe, Neville, Rollins, Del Rio, Apollo Crews, Axl, Slater, Titus O'Neill, Tyler Breeze, Zack Ryder, New Day, Enzo & Big Cass, Vaudevillians, Usos, Lucha Dragons, Alicia Fox, Natalya, Brie Bella, Charlotte, Dana Brooke, Rosa, Sasha Banks, Summer Rae, Asuka, Bayley.

Obviously Ambrose, Charlotte and New Day would be exempt due to their titles but I put them in anyway on the brands I think they'd best suit. As far as Rusev, as US Champion being on Raw, I'd have him have one last blowoff match with Titus, being teased into putting his Title on the line and losing it, then Titus obviously ending up on Smackdown.

Then hopefully WWE would sign some fresh cruiserweights to Smackdown and a handful of hardcore style wrestlers to Raw, although guys like Corbin, Dallas, Henry etc could also go for the Hardcore Title, possibly one of the bigger guys, like Kane could at some point too.

Anyway that's my rough plan/idea.

• Paid Members

I don't see this happening but I want Smackdown to genuinely be an alternative brand to Raw like NXT is. It's almost like NXT is a self contained universe with entirely different feel. If they want Smackdown to succeed this time they should concentrate on that. How do they do that? Well if it were me I'd emulate NXT. The hardcore audience that watches NXT might notice but that's a fairly small portion of the audience and they already love it.

Samoa Joe is my number one draft pick. Wherever Cena is Joe needs to be. Those two would tare the house down. Joe strikes me as a perfect perennial main event heel right now. He's not THE guy but could do wonders for them at the top of card making people. Let's face it they need top heels now big time. Particularly with their utter refusal to turn Reigns.

It's such a shame they did that spot with Ambrose where he nicked Jericho's jacket. If the lights went up after the jacket had been stolen in the entrance way and it was Nakamura stood in the middle of the ring wearing it then that would be a hell of a reaction for the first day of the brand split.

Seeing as there will be two champions if reports are true I'd really like them to come up with a way to differentiate the titles. It's hard to swallow the idea that there can be two world champions. Something like how ROH had the Pure Championship and world title back in the day but without having a gimmick match attached to it.

I'm surprised so many people want Nakamura brought up so quickly.

I love the guy but he strikes me as the top face they need on NXT when Balor has gone. He's the one to keep selling tickets etc.

Taking Balor, Joe AND Nakamura would be tough on NXT I think.

I really couldn't care less about NXT having big names when the main shows that draw actual money will be in dire need for them come the split, let NXT develop starts for the future. I'd replace those names with vets who aren't going to be on TV and can teach the rest a thing or two.

• Paid Members

Exactly. If you've got a guy that can potentially bring you revenue by having him on the main roster, why would you be having him fuck about in development for? They need to make the most of him.

Archived