WWE Payback 2016 Spoilers and Predictions

The Clint

I enjoyed the PPV overall. But the finish to that Women's title match was fucking pathetic. There was no need to use a PPV for that McMahon announcement now that we know it was only for him to choose them both. They could've done that shit tonight on Raw.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Did Styles used to call his forearm The Superman? I swear when Reigns started using his punch not long after he started with The Shield I thought it was a bit of a coincidence as they looked a little similar.

It was a really good PPV that. They set the tone early on with the talk of a New Era, and the upcoming announcement gave the feeling that it might be. They then started with two "NXT" matches which not only led into the next match, but laid the foundations for what should be a decent IC Title programme. The commentators keeping their potholes shut at the start gave it a slightly different feel as well. 

The womens PPV match as has been mentioned was a waste of time and i didnt enjoy the Jericho/Ambrose match, but the rest was really good. You could sense the confusion in the arena among the crowd during the Main Event, they didnt really know what they were supposed to approve of and what they were meant to boo and the narrative could have been a bit clearer for the majority that struggle to get their heads around a dynamic that isn't clear cut, but I enjoyed it. 

• Paid Members

A really good show. I thought Enzo had fucking died for a minute, laying there with his eyes wide open. What I saw of Owens/Zayn was good. I will have to watch it again as Leicester won the title in the middle of it and I got distracted. For me, that was one of the best Miz matches I've ever seen and definitely the best Cesaro match I've ever seen. I really enjoyed that one. Thought Ambrose/Jericho was a bit of a let down, but picked up toward the end.

The women's match baffled me. Between Bret looking lost, a number of botches, the crowd chanting for Sasha and a fucking Montreal ending in 2016 (that I assume they will never explain and that they literally just did it because Bret was there), I was thoroughly disappointed with the woman's match. The main event was fantastic. AJ was great, Roman was great. The shenanigans were good. Well up for a rematch.

Little bit disappointed with the lack of anything intriguing happening with Anderson/Gallows and AJ and the McMahon story is kinda meh.

EDIT: Also, the pre-match hype videos were excellent.

Just had a quick look over at Wreddit and of course, of fucking course, they're bitching about the main event.

• Paid Members

I had half a sneaking suspicion that they were going to recreate the screwjob when I saw Bret was in Nattie's corner at Paybacklash, but honestly didn't think they'd actually do it. I can't believe I gave them the benefit of the doubt and dread to think what they've got planned for Survivor Series 2017. 

• Paid Members

Finally caught up with this show, and I have to say I enjoyed it way more than Mania.

Can't really remember much about the Ziggler vs Corbin match other than the hype video for it was better than the actual match

Ryback vs Kalisto was awesome. Both guys worked really hard and it was pretty fast paced - Ryback also looked like he was having a great time in there which made me have a good time. Good on Ryback for catching Kalisto when his dive to the outside went wrong, that could have ended miserably. There were some great sequences in this match, topped off by the press slam from the middle rope.

The Enzo injury was one of the scariest things ive seen in wrestling. In real time it looked like the rope snapped his neck right back and I really thought we had just witnessed a very serious injury. Glad he's ok.

Zayn vs Owens was probably match of the night for me. I don't think they are capable of having a bad match together. Lots of back and forth between the two and especially enjoyed the back body drop on the apron. The way Owen's slams his opponent to the mat with his finishing powerbomb looks absolutely brutal. Poor Sami had to take it twice during the night.

Owens had some legit laugh out loud moments when he was on commentary, he knew exactly when to get his comments in and when to stay quiet. He's one of the highlights for me at the moment. The only downside to his commentary is that I probably focussed on what he was saying rather than Cesaro vs Miz but I don't think I missed much. Maryse can stay as long as she wants.

Ambrose vs Jericho was nowhere near as good as it should have been. Either was Styles vs Jericho at Mania - is it the Jericho effect? Match was very sloppy and the finished looked a bit awkward. It also looked a bit awkward when Ambrose got the knees up for Jericho's moonsault, and then Jericho just sort of flopped on to Ambrose. The see saw thing that Jericho did to Ambrose on the announcers table over the barricade looked good.

The womens match was the worst match of the night. Nothing worked. Bret Hart looked like he hated every second and then they give us one of the worst finishes in ages. Crap. Then poor Bret had to stumble through putting the Sharpshooter on Flair.

I don't watch the weekly TV so the next segment was very boring. None of it made sense to someone who only watches the big shows, but who cares - I won't be watching Raw anyway so they can pull Sgt Slaughter out of the cryogenic chamber and have him as GM and I will still look forward to Extreme Rules regardless.

The main event was top notch. Both men looked brilliant. I'd say this is Reigns second or third best match on PPV. The flying forearm spot through the announcers table looked amazing. I wish Styles had stayed outside trying to get Reigns back in to the ring and had a double count out, rather then jumping in there on nine to win the match but not the title. He also had time to get back out of the ring to stop the count out if he wanted. It just looked a bit pants. And Shane should have come out and said "No DQ" so we could have avoided the other false finish a bit further on which just watered down the match even more. But it was a great match and made AJ look like an even bigger star. Looking forward to the rematch at Extreme Rules.

8/10

• Paid Members

Did Styles used to call his forearm The Superman?

Styles' springboard 450 used to get called the Superman on some indies, IIRC. The forearm was always the Flying Squirrel best I remember, when it got named.

Shane should have come out and said "No DQ" so we could have avoided the other false finish a bit further on which just watered down the match even more. 

You said you don't watch weekly TV so I can see how you might think this, but them coming out one after the other, made complete sense. It gives you an idea as to what their dynamic will be come Raw

• Paid Members

Shane should have come out and said "No DQ" so we could have avoided the other false finish a bit further on which just watered down the match even more. 

You said you don't watch weekly TV so I can see how you might think this, but them coming out one after the other, made complete sense. It gives you an idea as to what their dynamic will be come Raw

Yeah I understand that, it just didn't work very well for me. As soon as the ref called for the bell for the DQ we were all just waiting for Stephanie to come out. Even the crowd just stared at the Titantron and waited. It couldn't have been anymore obvious. It felt like a break in the match that we could have done without. Perhaps Steph coming out straight after Shane and said "I can do one better than that...no DQ!" would have been better.

• Paid Members

Yeah I understand that, it just didn't work very well for me. As soon as the ref called for the bell for the DQ we were all just waiting for Stephanie to come out. Even the crowd just stared at the Titantron and waited. It couldn't have been anymore obvious. It felt like a break in the match that we could have done without. Perhaps Steph coming out straight after Shane and said "I can do one better than that...no DQ!" would have been better.

Why would they make it no DQ when there's no sign of eithr guy breaking the rules? The "No DQ" rule was a reaction to the cheap DQ. You don't have a reaction without anything to react to. It made perfect sense in the context of the match and the storyline.

• Paid Members

Because its all about Steph topping whatever Shane does. Would anyone have cared if Steph had just randomly made it no DQ? I would have preferred that to the underwhelming false finish. But I agree, it fitted in with the storyline, which is great for the people who watch Raw. Im just looking at it as an individual match and to me that suffered with all this going on.

Archived