The Worst Pay-Per-View Match Ever

Liam O'Rourke

So for this week's podcast we're delving into some truly awful stuff, and looking to debate the Worst Matches to ever "grace" a Pay-Per-View broadcast, and as such are looking to get your nominations for what you think should take the wooden spoon.

Simply put, what is the worst match you personally feel you've ever seen on PPV? Could be an outright four-finger stinker, or a promoted match that just fell so far short of expectations that it'd scarred your fandom forever - which do you feel is the worst, and please explain why.

As always the best contributions will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly. So what's your pick for this lofty honour?

EDIT - Our show debating the Worst PPV Matches Ever, featuring many of your contributions is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/nj3v3t/SCG_Radio_80_-_The_Worst_PPV_Match_Ever.mp3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

One that sticks in my mind was Tomko vs Stevie Richards. Pretty sure Stevie was wearing a dress as he was meant to be a stalker. I hope to fuck I haven't imagined that.

I have vague memories of that match. I actually feel like it put me off watching wrestling for at least a year.

Christy Hemme v *somebody*, I cant even remember her name, it was Taboo Tuesday, think she was a runner up on Divas Search. What ever her name was she even had a shoulder up during the pin which was pointed out by Lawler

Christy Hemme v *somebody*, I cant even remember her name, it was Taboo Tuesday, think she was a runner up on Divas Search. What ever her name was she even had a shoulder up during the pin which was pointed out by Lawler

March 19, 1995 - WCW Uncensored. Dustin Rhodes vs Blacktop Bully in a fucking King Of The Road Match.  

I think it went for a total of 3 days, choppy camera angles, the offence amounted to punches and kicks for the fear of getting whiplash or dying, Dustin Rhodes was in the match. And to top it all off they fucking bladed and got sent packing. Utterly clueless drivel.

• Paid Members

Immediate thought was Beverly Brothers vs. Bushwackers from 1992. I watched that tape a million times, and I'd watch dogshit for 3 hours back then if it said wrestling above it, and I'd fast forward through this match every time. Jamieson is the worst periphery wrestling character in history and his antics and the bleeding Genius just add cringe factor to what is already a god awful attempt at wrestling. I hate this thing with a passion.

Honourable mention to Hogan/Warrior from Halloween Havoc 1998 which doesn't have much more going for it besides intrigue. the fact that it's a main event, it was 8 years in the making and it's a rematch of one of the biggest miracles in wrestling history just make this an absolute travesty of a match.

• Paid Members

I think that would be Carmella DeCesare. By sheer coincidence I had a Playboy with her in, purely because Carmen Electra was on the cover.

Can't wait to contribute to this one later. Longtime posters may know that one of my favourites(?) has already been mentioned.

• Paid Members

March 19, 1995 - WCW Uncensored. Dustin Rhodes vs Blacktop Bully in a fucking King Of The Road Match.

I think it went for a total of 3 days, choppy camera angles, the offence amounted to punches and kicks for the fear of getting whiplash or dying, Dustin Rhodes was in the match. And to top it all off they fucking bladed and got sent packing. Utterly clueless drivel.

Dustin Rhodes was/is brilliant. Don't put that in the negatives list regarding that trainwreck of a match.

Actually wasn't there something dodgy about that match? I'm sure Dustin Rhodes said in interviews that someone high up (I'm thinking Bischoff but could be wrong) told him to blade in the match, then when he did he got sacked.

Oh and the Bushwhackers vs Beverlys is a great shout for this. Fucking dire that was. Would've been alright as a five minute comedy match but it seemed to go on for a fortnight.

I'm throwing in Triple H vs Scott Steiner from Royal Rumble 2003. Terrible. I'm a huge Steiners fan and I enjoyed pretty much everything Scotty did from his debut at Survivor Series right up until the bell rang for the match at the Rumble. You have to think they could've worked around Steiner's limitations better than they did. He was never going to be up for a 20 minute match after all his time on the shelf and the drop foot. Did he even work house shows heading into the Rumble to knock the rust off? It's not like he had nothing left either because he still had some good showings in his TNA run a couple of years later. There was a better WWE run in Big Poppa Pump to be had. Timing just seemed to not line up for it at that time. So yeah, the match was shit. The rematch at No Way Out a month later wasn't great either but I didn't find it as utterly abysmal as the one at the Rumble. The bit when Steiner tried to suplex Trips and falls on his arse was embarrassing. Triple H was in his shitty phase of wearing colourful trunks at this point as well, which was cack. Even as shite as the match was, H's little red knickers still stick in my memory as adding to the match's overall crapness.

I think it went for a total of 3 days, choppy camera angles, the offence amounted to punches and kicks for the fear of getting whiplash or dying, Dustin Rhodes was in the match. And to top it all off they fucking bladed and got sent packing. Utterly clueless drivel.

Dustin Rhodes was/is brilliant. Don't put that in the negatives list regarding that trainwreck of a match.

Actually wasn't there something dodgy about that match? I'm sure Dustin Rhodes said in interviews that someone high up (I'm thinking Bischoff but could be wrong) told him to blade in the match, then when he did he got sacked.

I thought Goldust was great, but WCW Dustin Rhodes was dull as dishwater.

Yeah I seem to think you are right about the blading, were they trying to trim the wage bill or something so thought "I know, Dustin is thick as shit lets stitch him up".

Two that spring to mind, both involving the late Big Bossman.

The first is his bout with Undertaker at WrestleMania XV. It was truly horrendous, especially given it was in the Hell in a Cell.

The second is Big Bossman v Al Snow in the Kennel from Hell match at Unforgiven 1999. It was a blue steel cage with a dogs around the ring all surrounded by the Hell in a Cell. Mind-blowingly stupid, the audience couldn't see a thing. Not there was anything to see. The dogs were supposed to be there to be intimidating, but I'm pretty sure they pissed and shat all over the floor instead.

Archived