Best Episodes of Raw or Smackdown

bradfordcity

Just been watching random episodes of Raw recently and just wondered what people would recommend for the best raws to watch.

Just watched the RAW after Wrestlemania 15 - New DX, Austin in a Suit etc

Also the raw after mania where Dolph Ziggler cashes in.

Whats shows do you guys think are the best to watch?

• Awards Moderator

I always really liked the first Raw Roulette episode in 2002, and the first Old School Raw a few years later as well.

For SmackDown, give me most episodes from 2000 - 2004 and I'm quite happy, I watched it every week in that time period. SmackDown Extreme in 2001, or the episode where Benoit and Guerrero defected in 2002, the Mysterio debut episode, the Angle/Lesnar Iron Man, the ones based around SmackDown Six matches, the Lesnar/Show ringbreak episode... Lots to choose from!

A lot of WWE stuff from 2000-2007 is tainted for me by the presence of Benoit. It's akin to sitting watching old episodes of Jim'll Fix It, but worse, because it was the wrestling that made Benoit even more mental. I can't be doing with it. So when I put wrestling on to watch while I have my dinner, it generally has to be an episode from 1999 or earlier, or one from during the invasion.

I watched the Raw where ECW joined the invasion yesterday, as that's one that I've always heard as a big night. It was okay, but a letdown. Even by mid-2001, the show feels a lot flatter than it did in 1998.

I think the Raw where CM Punk wins the title is really, really good. An excellent self-contained show - it starts exciting with Big Dave paggering Edge after he dismisses JR, leading to the cash in. From there, Cena pushes for an instant title shot but JBL kicks him out with his hired security forces and takes the shot himself. This all leads to a climactic title defence by Punk in the main event, culminating in Cena and Cryme Tyme taking out Bradshaw's goons as Punk gets the win, before diving into everyone to close the show.

The story is self contained yet offers progression, it seemed to elevate Shad and JTG at the time (even if it did lead to JBL is poopy) and it provided Punk with a successful title defence to show that he was a fighting champion, which was important considering he was a babyface cashing in in a heelish manner. Even the beat down on edge really signified Batista's return to Raw. Finally, it brought a world title back to Raw too. Very enjoyable show from start to finish, and one that made you want to continue watching to see what happens. You can't often say that about today's shows.

• Paid Members

There's a special place in my heart for the September 22 1997 episode which was the first RAW at MSG, when Stone Cold gave Vince the Stunner and Cactus Jack made his WWF debut in that no holds barred match against Trips.

There'a a lot to be said for May 17 1993 too, 1-2-3 Kid beat Razor Ramon and Marty Jannetty beat Shawn for the I-C title in a fantastic match.

Its difficult with Smackdown as most of it comes post 2001 when everything starts being jumbled into one and I struggle to remember what happened when. Probably due to me being around 17 then and finding Wrestling wasn't the be all and end all it is when you're a kid.

I find it mad that people are put off due to Benoits presence. More so wrestling fans who have no morals anyway.

Good sweeping generalisation there.

1997 for me, most Raws have absolute heat. The one after IYH with the Bret/Austin street fight is excellent. Pure drama and great performances throughout, especially Owen:"Watch his knee you IDIOT!"

• Paid Members

There'a a lot to be said for May 17 1993 too, 1-2-3 Kid beat Razor Ramon and Marty Jannetty beat Shawn for the I-C title in a fantastic match.

That's a great one. Shawn's interview that sets up the main event is amazing, he's dripping with smarmy heel attitude. Plus in the squashes you get the Gunns doing their wacky pre-Sidewinder backdrop-piledriver finish, and you get to go "Hey look, Scotty Too Hotty."

The post-Survivors 95 Raw is worth a re-watch, if you're into that era. Kid's first televised one on one as a heel against Hakushi who he always gelled with, Diesel cutting his memorable "I'm back" promo, then the infamous Shawn/Owen match. They crammed a lot into that one.

• Paid Members

The episode after the 97 Royal Rumble is a great episode. Bret Hart was on top form around this time in the lead up to his eventual heel turn a couple of months later

The remarkable thing being that at this point, it had not been decided that he was turning. But it all makes sense looking backwards. It's great that they were able to point to stuff that had happened and go "There's your justification, right there."

• Paid Members

I find it mad that people are put off due to Benoits presence. More so wrestling fans who have no morals anyway.

I'm not put off the shows but I glaze over his stuff. I've been watching 1995 Raws for a while so as I've gotten to the MNW era, I'm watching Nitro too. I find myself just switching off when he's on TV. I just feel nothing but his mere presence just snaps me out of the shows and into wondering what sort of monster you have to be to kill your wife and kid.

It's crazy because I used to love that stuff. It'd be like watching footage of your favourite footballer when he used to play for Shrewsbury in the 4th division. The evolution of my guy. Who turned out to be a cunt of the hugest order.

• Paid Members

Smackdown Jan 13th 2006 is a belter. For some good reasons and some bad. I listened to the SCG rebooking of 2006 and fancied watching some Smackdown's to remember how shit it was. This was the only one so I watched it. I couldn't have told you how memorable it was for me but it turned out to be.

It's the show where Batista vacates the World Heavyweight Championship. It's a mega segment. Big Dave is cut up before it starts and the crowd are gutted. A couple of women are absolutely distraught. It's so genuine aside from the mention of Eddie Guerrero, although in fairness, that may have been genuine from Batista but ruined by the other stuff.

The vacation leads to a Battle Royal on the show with a surprise defector from Raw entering.

It also has the last match in the best of 7 series between Benoit and Booker T although Randy Orton is filling in. This is really good and nicely weaves the previous matched into it.

This show also has the episode of Piper's Pit where Boogey eats the mole off Jillian Hall. There's a vigette for Finlay too. They were great.

Good show.

Archived