Best Episodes of Raw or Smackdown

bradfordcity

There is a Raw in the build up to No Way Out 2000 which begins with the McMahon-Helmsley regime (remember them?) putting Cactus Jack in a 5-on-1 handicap match against some combination of DX and the Radicalz (I think the heel team was Triple H, X-Pac, Benoit, Saturn, and Malenko; Guerrero was at ringside with the rest of DX with his arm in a sling). The only sliver of hope for Jack is that he's free to assemble his own team of 5 if he can find anyone in the locker room with the balls to oppose the World champ and de facto authority figure. About half an hour later The Rock in his absolute babyface prime gives a backstage promo in which he tells Cactus Jack that "[his] situation is not five-on-one, it's five-on...two!" Cue much delirium in the stands and at home.

So Rock and Jack come out for the final segment looking like a pair of bad asses, when Too Cool's boss 'get high today...' music goes off and out come Scotty, Grand Master, and Rikishi to even up the odds. What follows is an awesome 5-on-5 tag with a fucking molten crowd which keeps getting louder right through to the post-match shenanigans (which are class). It's an excellent Raw that climaxes with a match worthy of consideration in any Best of Raw list. A sublime episode.

• Paid Members

That was an outstanding show, Feb 7th though. I'm struggling to remember when the Radicalz turned heel though. They only appeared at ringside the week before on Jan 31st. Then the following Smackdown Trips emascualted Benoit. How did they end up teaming?

The Radicalz turn was at the very start of the Feb 7th show, Rick. The boys came down to thank Foley and the crowd for giving them a chance then laid a beat down on Mick, which got them contracts from Trips. The 5 on 1 match was booked then for later in the show.

• Paid Members

There is a Raw in the build up to No Way Out 2000 which begins with the McMahon-Helmsley regime (remember them?) putting Cactus Jack in a 5-on-1 handicap match against some combination of DX and the Radicalz (I think the heel team was Triple H, X-Pac, Benoit, Saturn, and Malenko; Guerrero was at ringside with the rest of DX with his arm in a sling). The only sliver of hope for Jack is that he's free to assemble his own team of 5 if he can find anyone in the locker room with the balls to oppose the World champ and de facto authority figure. About half an hour later The Rock in his absolute babyface prime gives a backstage promo in which he tells Cactus Jack that "[his] situation is not five-on-one, it's five-on...two!" Cue much delirium in the stands and at home.

So Rock and Jack come out for the final segment looking like a pair of bad asses, when Too Cool's boss 'get high today...' music goes off and out come Scotty, Grand Master, and Rikishi to even up the odds. What follows is an awesome 5-on-5 tag with a fucking molten crowd which keeps getting louder right through to the post-match shenanigans (which are class). It's an excellent Raw that climaxes with a match worthy of consideration in any Best of Raw list. A sublime episode.

The Radicalz turn was at the very start of the Feb 7th show, Rick. The boys came down to thank Foley and the crowd for giving them a chance then laid a beat down on Mick, which got them contracts from Trips. The 5 on 1 match was booked then for later in the show.

I watched this show again last night. It's strange, so much of it was familiar but I'm sure I've never seen the Radicalz turn before.

The crowd is insane in Dallas. The Rock is over like nothing you've ever heard. It's funny that they still do the same opening to Raw 16 years later but the crowds are muted and there aren't as many signs. Couple of my favourite signs were "Hunter Has Herpes" and a "Rakishi" with two big arse cheeks. Listening to Jim Ross's call of the main event, you'd think that was how it was spelled.

It's easy to see why WWE prefer everyone in wrestling gear and their own T-Shirt when you see the fucking Radicalz in street clothes. Benoit and Saturn look like they're going clubbing at a sticky floor bar. Eddie looks like his Mam dressed him and Malenko looks like your Uncle's oing to play snooker on a Saturday afternoon. Hideous.

Trippers music is absolutely shit. Forgot how much I hated it. Steph's voice is so child-like. She's fine looking though. Trips gets lost a couple of times in his monologue and delivers the beautifully unnecessary "I will end your career ... and it will be over." Great segment though. 20 mins flies by.

Benoit looked incredible. An absolute specimen. Far better than the gassed up, no necked fucker he became.

Dudleys out on commentary. Jim Ross: "What sort of man are you?" Bubba: "I'm a sick man". Great stuff. Edge & Christian lose to Outlaws after Duds interfere.

2000 isn't all quality, we've got a "pregnant" Mae Young backstage. She interferes for a no contest in Angle/Henry and then takes an Angle Slam. JR is doing his best to put this over as heinous when The Rock appears on the big screen and the crowd just goes ape shit. Lawler points out how little they give a shit about the "pregnant" late 70s woman in the ring. Funny segment later on though when Mae recovers and strips which traumatises a backstage worker.

The Angle slam wasn't the only example of violence against women. Gangrel hit a DDT on Jacqueline and Dudleys tried to put BB through a table. I don't have much of a problem with wrestlers hitting a move on women wrestlers as a heat-seeking device. Violence against non-wrestlers and old women is too far though.

Acolytes and Hollys had a hardcore tag match which quickly became a concession stand brawl. I love Crash Holly. Forgot how much. Not just his comic book facials and mini-me look but even his name has a brilliant Scooby Doo quality. Funny stuff here as Vis runs in to hit Bradshaw with a 2x4 and slips over. Classic Vis.

Both teams run in to cause a DQ finish in Jericho vs. Vis for the IC title. Shit match. Jericho's hair is fucking marvellous though. Stunning.

Godfather & D-Lo vs. Dudleys next. There's no wonder WrestleMania 2000 ended up as tag team hell. Almost everyone is in a duo or a stable. Clean finish to this one. Feels weird.

Main event is as brilliant as we all remember and that crowd is insane. Wonder what the Radicalz were thinking performaing in front of this crowd when a few weeks earlier they'd been in the hell-hole WCW became. The difference must have been insane.

I love Rikishi. Loved him from the first time I saw him back on one of the jobber shows like Metal or something. The greatest wrestling makeover? Might be worth a thread that.

Here's another contender. Just when you think the show is over, Kane's back and he's over like rover. He looks incredible. What a pity it never went anywhere. I had to google what he did at WM2000 because it was so unmemorable.

Superb show. Never a dull moment. The matches that look shite on paper are all over in a couple of minutes. There are hardly any clean finishes but that helps. Doesn't need them. The run-ins and sneaky interference enhance feuds with a long-term goal. That's perfect.

Archived