Is entrance music getting good again?

HarmonicGenerator

CFO$ are lazy, that's my main issue.

I can't think of one theme they've ever written which isn't just a 45 second loop. Johnston didn't always hit it out of the park but at least you knew you were getting a full song out of it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

CFO$ are lazy, that's my main issue.

I can't think of one theme they've ever written which isn't just a 45 second loop.

It's so common I'm thinking that's been their brief. Big pop - hummable bit - repeat.

I've read a few comments that Rollins' music is shit - and it is - but I give them the benefit of the doubt that he was given quite dull music as a heel. If he had a theme with a cracking pop he would've really struggled to get any heat with his flashy style. I reckon he'll come back face or turn soon thereafter with a more exciting, dynamic theme.

In line with the topic I was talking about this with a colleague today. Themes have been shit for a while now but in NXT there's a great run of killer songs.

• Paid Members

There's a field out the back of my house that leads to mountains and more fields and its perfect if you want to get lost in your thoughts. I generally have my ipod in and go on a walk for a few miles. I was listening to Samoa Joe's theme a few weeks ago and when the part comes where the monster goes "rarrrrrrr" before the music kicks in again, I kept stopping and throwing my thumb and pinky in the air. I sort of hope nobody saw, but on the other hand I want them to see.

• Paid Members

That roar in Joe's tune is so bad ass. Remember the outcry when he first showed up in NXT with that piss poor weedy theme tune? I have no idea what the hell was going on with that, they were properly taking the piss.

On the subject of Rollins, his music is wank but if he was to return as a babyface with a big upbeat new theme that could be brilliant.

That roar in Joe's tune is so bad ass. Remember the outcry when he first showed up in NXT with that piss poor weedy theme tune? I have no idea what the hell was going on with that, they were properly taking the piss.

On the subject of Rollins, his music is wank but if he was to return as a babyface with a big upbeat new theme that could be brilliant.

Give him Owen Harts theme!!! That would be ace, a baby face Seth and that tune

• Paid Members

I don't really watch NXT so had never heard Nakamura's theme until now. Wow, its amazing. A 2016 version of the Orient Express theme they seemed to giver every Japanese wrestler in the early 90's.

I actually preferred Samoa Joe's TNA theme but this mix combines both which works out best.

I don't buy the "songs are better than 45 second loops" argument. The point is to help get the act over. The moment when everyone's entrance themes started sounding the same was when Jim Johnston started having a late midlife crisis and started insisted he could be a 'real artist' by penning whole tracks with rawk lyrics. Quality fell off a cliff when he started trying to compete with the licensed tracks. The recent return to looped riffs based on stereotypes of characters has been awesome - most themes, you can pick up half a dozen influences mashed together and all timed with the stars themselves. In Beyond the Mat, there's a bit where Jim describes writing Vader's using the guy's own walk as inspiration for the beat. That's exactly what they've done with Samoa Joe and it's epic.

• Paid Members

Very well put and especially agree with your first line there. BenPhoenix's weird gripe that the producers are lazy and not writing full songs- they're not supposed to. They're not putting together something to compete with Beiber or something in the charts, they're trying to create music to help get an act over and help establish the character to the audience. They're writing a soundtrack essentially. It shouldn't be anything other than that.

I think WWE music was at its worst about 10 years or so ago, when they tried to give most wrestlers a 'song' rather than a theme.

AJ Styles is a good example of a song rather than a theme. I know some people love it, but I don't think it's a great entrance theme. Good song, but not good theme in my opinion. Still, it isn't 'I AM I AM'.

Archived