WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

There have been so many shitty rumors (and patents) about the next gen, mainly about forms of DRM that will stop you from buying and selling 2nd hand games. Another problem is that the tech leap won't be all that great, most games will be very similar to what we have now but with a little extra shine and now that i own a PC which is already more powerful than the consoles will be I'm not seeing much point in buying one for myself for a good while.

Recently finished AC3. As per the usual with these types of games, I got completely side tracked from the missions and concentrated on the side quests, finding trinkets and treasure chests, then got bored, then rushed the story so I could move on to my next game. I would have enjoyed it more had I paced myself. I'm my own worst enemy.

Which brings me on to Sleeping Dogs. So far so good. Finding the melee attacks a bit boring at the moment but I'm sure they'll get better with upgrades. I've now side tracked myself with finding all the 'Health Shrines', got half of them so far. I'm going to force myself to do missions now so I don't get bored. I want to try and finish it this week and send it back to LoveFilm, I'm then on holiday for a week and when I'm back I'll be starting Far Cry 3. Hearing nothing but good things, but my main concern is that it's an FPS. It will be hit and miss whether I'll get motion sickness.

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members
Playing Assassin's Creed 2 for the first time. I've had the game for a couple of years but have never got round to playing it. It's brilliant, which I thought might be the case. Gameplay feels good and natural, storyline is both compelling (well, in Renaissance Italy it is, I couldn't care about those bunch of present-day goons) and educational and the scenery is beautiful. From the incredible architecture in Florence to the canals in Venice to the Tuscany countryside. In fact, I'm taken aback so much by the setting that me and the wife are probably going to Florence for a weekend break for our anniversary.

What are the other games like? Brotherhood is a must as it's set in Rome. What about the first one? Is Revelations set in the same locations as the first game? What about the new one, any good?

If you are enjoying number 2 you will enjoy all the others. They all carry on the same quality of basic gameplay with different tweaks in each separating them from eachother. I wouldn't play them in a row though, you will burn yourself out. Revelations is probably my favorite of the three.

I'm playing AC3 now, it's good but the USA setting isn't as charming as Florence or Istanbul. Also, the character you play as is a right cock.

I'm playing AC3 now, it's good but the USA setting isn't as charming as Florence or Istanbul. Also, the character you play as is a right cock.

How far are you into it because...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

If you're playing as Haytham, he isn't the main character. He is part of the training, and when you do get to play as the main character there is still more training to be had. I think the main character has very similar traits to Ezio, although a little angrier.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
Picked up Brothers In Arms: Hells Highway for a fiver the other day though.

I've always loved the Brothers in Arms games and the way they worked. I'd fucking love a new one.

The could on PS2, road to hill something or other and that other one were class too.

Got stuck on a little solo bit in Hells Highway and never made it any further though.

There have been so many shitty rumors (and patents) about the next gen, mainly about forms of DRM that will stop you from buying and selling 2nd hand games. Another problem is that the tech leap won't be all that great, most games will be very similar to what we have now but with a little extra shine and now that i own a PC which is already more powerful than the consoles will be I'm not seeing much point in buying one for myself for a good while.

Yeah I've seen the so called leaked specs of these new consoles. All be it a PC cost way more, I don't think the graphics are going to blow anybody away. I simply think neither MS or Sony want these next machines to be out as long as 360/PS3 have been, and so have cut back on the tech. Not as bad as the Wii U, but still not enough to convince players to spend all that money.

Apart from the Wii, it will be first time consoles aren't sold on "better graphics". I guess, it will just come down to how badly you want whatever games are coming for them. I'm more interested in buying a better graphics card right now, it will probably cost less and be better value.

• Paid Members

How far are you into it because...

If you're playing as Haytham, he isn't the main character. He is part of the training, and when you do get to play as the main character there is still more training to be had. I think the main character has very similar traits to Ezio, although a little angrier.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I'm playing as Connor who is a right little cunt. Though I've started doing missions side by side with Haytham and do love his arrogant English charm, especially compared to boring prick Connor.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
The other day I bought The Binding Of Isaac (PC, originally on Steam but also in shops). I've touched nowt since.

In one sentence it's "Smash TV on weed, then mushrooms in a crypt". In more than one it's an unsettling, very difficult and completely random little shooter. Everything about the game is made up on the fly - maps, enemies, pickups (of several types from a very large pool); it's advertised as saying you'll never play the same game twice and that's right. The setting is toony but very macabre as is the music (particularly the Game Over tune)

As the game is so short there's also no save system, bar the collectibles, unlockable characters and stats. Once you're dead, you're dead.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME! I've managed to fully finish the non-DLC portion twice straight after a ridiculous number of early baths, only another two wins to unlock the DLC levels.

Carry on.

• Paid Members

Great piece here on knockoff games at a Nairobi market: http://gameological.com/2013/02/the-pirate-hacks-of-africa/

Most of the games are mods of originals (so the game is changed, not just the packaging) such as:

130206_piratehacks_gtasaw.jpg

and the obvious choice of:

130206_piratehacks_kirkdouglas.jpg

But in some cases it's just a straight con such as taking an obscure Japanese game, packing it up as something completely different and coming up with your own twist on the packaging, such as this one which may appeal to UKFF members:

130206_piratehacks_battlefield2.jpg

• Paid Members
Was playing Far Cry on Xbox until my disc reader died and it wouldn't load. Thankfully other games load after a while so looks like it's the disc. Brilliant game thus far.

Mine is doing the same with the exact same game. Some games, like GTA4 and Assassins Creed 2 run without a problem. But others like Far Cry 3, Batman and Red Dead require a bit of faffing first- open and closing the tray, resetting the machine etc. It won't even play FIFA at all.

So aside from the ten minutes it's taking to start paying, Far Cry 3 is bloody great so far. Finely living up to the hype in my eyes. Unlike other games I've played in recent years, it actually distills fear into me and makes me nervous. If the pirates aren't driving around in 4x4's trying to fuck me up, then there's tigers. Or snakes. Or when I try to get a blue plant,a fucking crocodile just lying there in the water. Oh and of course, sharks. Makes the cougars and bears in Red Dead seem quite tame.