WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

31 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Fuck 'em indeed, they've closed down a great developer recently and have taken the game they had and are turning it into a Destiny clone by all accounts.

I played some of the UFC beta and yeah.. you can just leg kick the AI till their leg breaks.

I don’t think they have it in them to develop a good boxing game anymore

• Paid Members

I think they have the developers to make a decent game, but there'd be too many executives getting involved trying to milk as much cash as possible out of them that they'd end up destroying the game. Unfortunately I think it's the case for most of the big publishers nowadays. IF the reports about Red Dead Redemption 2 being full of microtransactions are to be believed. Although hopefully they're similar to the ones in GTA Online where you just buy in game currency for a nice new shiny car or whatever.

It'll probably have a infinite cash glitch on release, and I'll abuse the fuck out of it just like I did with GTAO.

Anyway. I'm probably getting a Switch when I get paid (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is out) and was wondering what the general opinion on here is?

Also any point buying Breath of The Wild for it if already I own it on Wii U?

• Paid Members

Gutted about UFC3 being microtransactioned up - I really enjoyed UFC2, having not played an MMA game since the PS1 UFC game, and was looking forward to the new one. But if it's all loot boxes and shit I'll give it a miss.

The Switch is bloody lovely - Mario Odyssey is an amazing game, and there's a bunch of other fun stuff. Having picked up Xenoblade yet, but if it's anything like the Wii one, that's 100+ hours of gameplay sunk into that. The only downsides I've experienced so far are the odd connectivity issue with the left Joy-con, though I so rarely play on the TV that it's almost a non-issue, and that a lot of indie and download-only games are way too overpriced for what they are.

I love the Switch. If you commute to work, it is a great own. I enjoy playing a game of FIFA or a quick go on Mario Kart to and from work. I rarely play on the tele, for that I have a hori game pad which is quite good and cost me twenty odd quid. There are loads of good games, but be weary with some as with games like NBA2K18 you will likely need an sd card for additional storage. Splatoon 2 is a great game and worth getting, Snipperclips is a good and at a bargain price in my opinion. If you like the old SNK beat em ups then you will enjoy those but other choices of beat em ups is weak with Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Pokken DX.

• Awards Moderator

I don't know whether this came up in the UFC forums as I don't go there, but a Twitch streamer got away with streaming the PPV because he was pretending to 'play' it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-12-04-streamer-goes-viral-after-broadcasting-ufc-pay-per-view-while-pretending-to-play-ufc-video-game

10 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Gutted about UFC3 being microtransactioned up - I really enjoyed UFC2, having not played an MMA game since the PS1 UFC game, and was looking forward to the new one. But if it's all loot boxes and shit I'll give it a miss.

Apparently it's just in the games version of the Fifa Ultimate Team mode so shouldn't be too bad.

• Awards Moderator
25 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Whilst I totally agree with this, wasn’t collecting footy stickers at school basically the same thing?

Exactly the argument PEGI are going with.

You also had something physical and you needed the cash right there in your hand to buy them. I've read countless articles and general comments online about kids being able to buy £100's worth of these cards with a click of a joypad, it's made so easy and yeah maybe parents should be doing more by not putting in card details and looking into the game a little closer but these games also really urge you to have another go.

I don't play FIFA. Does Ultimate Team involve paying money for something random that you might already have and serves no other use?

Duplicate stickers of the physical variety still have value as they can be traded or used to decorate school books, shelving, the cat, etc.

• Paid Members

The football stickers comparison is interesting, but we didn't have to pay fifty notes for the empty album. In fact, they were/are often given away free with newspapers and footy magazines.

One of the biggest bones of contention with gaming microtransactions is having them in games that already come with a premium price tag. For free-to-play games I don't think there's an issue. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I don't play FIFA. Does Ultimate Team involve paying money for something random that you might already have and serves no other use?

Duplicate stickers of the physical variety still have value as they can be traded or used to decorate school books, shelving, the cat, etc.

You can earn fifa money by winning matches and tournaments allowing you to buy packs of players or a specific player, or you can pay for the packs of players with real money. I play ultimate team and just spend what I earn through matches, but I have heard it is popular with kids to just buy their favourite players. With packs you can get duplicate players I believe (but not bought any myself), you can auction them off or take a quicksell lower value.

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members
On 04/12/2017 at 12:29 PM, westlondonmist said:

I love the Switch. If you commute to work, it is a great own. I enjoy playing a game of FIFA or a quick go on Mario Kart to and from work. I rarely play on the tele, for that I have a hori game pad which is quite good and cost me twenty odd quid. There are loads of good games, but be weary with some as with games like NBA2K18 you will likely need an sd card for additional storage. Splatoon 2 is a great game and worth getting, Snipperclips is a good and at a bargain price in my opinion. If you like the old SNK beat em ups then you will enjoy those but other choices of beat em ups is weak with Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Pokken DX.

There are a good few SNK fighters on the Switch as part of Hamster Corporation's ACA Neo Geo range on there.