Robot Wars

Briefcase

• Paid Members

I sort of enjoyed it. It had enough familiarity for it to be proper Robot Wars, but it lacked the atmosphere of the original series in its prime.

Is the arena bigger? I'm wandering if that's why some of the robots looked less impressive this time. There was a fair bit of rust on the veterans too in their driving, which didn't help.

I agree with the comments on editing and camera work. Pit-cam, Matilda-cam and other gimmicky angles just distract from the action, and there was a needlessly long, 3 angle shot of the audience chanting for the pit.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed it Nuts reminded me of Diotoir and Carbide are, well immense. Apparently they built a very similar robot for Battlebots in the US. The presentation was flat though, and Dara was a bit of an emotional vaccuum. Shame, as needs a bit of cheek to help the rivalry. 

• 1 month later...

Is Battlebots a decent watch then? I'd half written it off, expecting it to be a poor clone.

It has better , heavier robots than we have.

It has rules that make things more aggresive than here. Having shit weapons but just pushing robots about is not a great tactic there. No house robots or Pit means you have to do damage yourself to win. If your weapon fails and you can just push the other robot judges score that as defense moves.

Its well worth a watch if you like Robot Wars. Alot of people prefer it atm tbh.

They don't ban flippers. One of the robots who did very well in Season 1 (and shows up in the second season this year) is Bronco, who utilises a flipper/lifter.

I think they're just not the preferred weapon of choice as Battlebots very much leans towards having to beat the robot into a knockout, and flipping the opponent makes things slightly more difficult to damage and beat the other robot these days. It's very much doable, but another weapon is more likely to succeed.

Comparing the two sets of competitors, Battlebots definitely has more variety and destruction over Robot Wars at the moment.

• 6 months later...

Enjoyed the return of RW last night, a very destructive first episode. They kept the creepy video packages shorter this season and there seemed to be more Angela Scanlon which I approved of. Also, who spends £25,000 on a robot?

Archived