Robot Wars

Briefcase

If Celeb Big Brother has its own thread then so can this right? Anyway Robot Wars has been given the go-ahead to return to our screens on BBC 2 after 13 years.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/robot-wars-rebooted-bbc-two-7171002

Used to love watching this many years ago, will probably end up with drones and shit nowadays what with advanced technology, but if done right could be a great show again, please keep a few of the original house robots though. 

matilda1.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome news, loved this when it was on. Razr, Hypnodisc and the rest. The PS2 game wasnt half bad either. Chaos 2 can almightly fuck off though. Diotoir Award instead of good egg? Everyone needs red lepoard print fuzzy felt, right?

• Paid Members

It was always about Cassius for me, the birth of the self righting mechanism was an awesome moment. Watching that thing be 'dead' and then leap into the air back onto it's wheels was epic at the time.

This is a great example of how you can't recapture magic.

It took me a while to get into Robot Wars. I felt it was something I should like, but the first series was a bit dull. Looking back, this was probably because the show's format was a bit shonky and the robots were even shonkier, but as it advance the robots got better - in design, reliability and destructibility - and the drivers got better so matches didn't look like a bunch of OAPs trying to reverse park.

An upside down robot was death. They were just insects kicking their legs in the air, or a UKFF poster with back problems writhing around like a tortoise ;) . And then Cassius used it's flipper to self right and everything changed. This was Foley coming off the cage.

And from there it just got better as the robots improved and favourites were created. There were the stalwards, Panic Attack, Steel Avenger, Chaos 2, Behemoth and then came the brash pretenders who did away with the axes and flippers and brought in innovative new weaponry, Razr, Hypnodisc and Stinger.

Flippers went mental (Flippers, not Ph'lippa), with Chaos 2 chucking robots out the arena, and Wheely Big Cheese chucking a robot so high that it got caught in the webbing covering the ceiling.

The later series were dominated by the likes of these, until the incredible underdog Bigger Brother came along, culminating in an awesome match with Hypnodisc.

Hypnodisc's debut was another incredible moment as nobody quite knew what to make of it. It's a disc - that looks a bit like a dustbin lid - and it spins. It has no blades or spikes, it just spins.

And then it just literally ripped Robogeddon to pieces. Literally literally, not Redknapp literally. Hypnodisc became an instant favourite.

• Paid Members

'I've kecked me trousers, I've kecked me drawers. Change them next week, by Robot Wars'.

This was the high level of Robot Wars related comedy I was churning out at primary school.

I bloody loved Robot Wars. One of my favourite programmes as a kid. I owned all of the figures, all of the books, the game. I knew all of the judges and the House Robots (the later ones like Mr Psycho and the thing that looked like K9 were shite) and could have recited the winners of the first 7/8 series at one point.

I was on the Brecon Mountain Railway with my Grandparents many moons ago after Grandad decided we all really wanted to see his home town of Merthyr Tydfil (we didn't). About halfway through the journey, I happened to see two people wearing the T-shirts of the robot Panic Attack, who I think won series two of Robot Wars. That's because it actually was the creator/driver of Panic Attack. In hindsight, it's a bit sad that they went around wearing their robot T-shirt, like one of your mates going around town wearing the shirt from their shitty 6th form band. In reality, they fucking hummed like the inside of a Gingster's Steak Slice, so I imagine these were the only shirts that they actually owned.

I digress. Anyway, for primary school child this was like meeting Head from Art Attack or Dave Benson Phillips or something. A really big deal. After much cajouling, I was allowed to go over and have a chat with my idols from Panic Attack. I think they signed an autograph for me if I recall correctly.

My other Robot Wars related claim to fame is more recent. I was working at an academic research council where part of my job was to find peer reviewers for academic proposals. When searching for a relevant academic online I saw the name Noel Sharkey. I racked my brains for a minute trying to think where I recognised that name. Then it hit me. He was the judge with the big beard on Robot Wars who siad "style, control, damage and aggression" a lot. Needless to say, Professor. Sharkey got an immediate invitation to look at whatever piece of academic work it was. He though it was a load of bollocks for what it's worth.

I used to love Clarkson on the show but of course that won't be happening. 

Not sure I could handle Pearce on commentary again though, he has definitely past his time as a commentator on the football let alone Robot Wars. 

They will probably bring in Gary Lineker to host it though (not a bad thing). 

I had just about everything Robot Wars related you could get. Every time a new robot toy came out. I'd have it ASAP. It was the main thing for me at school. My Dad even took me to the local Science Festival one year where they actually had a few robots from the show in a tent where they drove them round and showed off what they could do. Chaos 2 was there which was so cool. Felt pretty starstruck meeting George Francis (the driver. I had the pullback and everything. Who on here heard him talking wondering if he was a woman?) It was pretty incredible seeing it because you never get the sense of scale and power they have in the flesh than watching it on TV. I also went to a local library to see Pussycat because they were from Gloucester. Alan Gribble (who sadly is no longer with us) let me drive the featherweight version Kitty that appeared in a couple of side competitions which was fun.

I've been to the live shows they do that come to Gloucester every year and always go. This lot had an agreement to run shows under the name for a few years and it's great fun and they are always packed which is amazing to see. Especially full of kids who weren't even born when the series was on. Here's their website. Seriously check it out if it's coming near you

http://www.robotwars.tv

Archived